Newcastle in 2006 - Your View

JH

With the end of the year fast approaching, I was interested to know what people have thought of this year.

Best Match:

Worst Match:

Best Goal Scored:

Worst Goal Conceeded:

Best Player:

Worst Player:

Best Overall Moment:

Worst Overall Moment:

Best XI:

Best Signing made:

Biggest Mistake in the Transfer market (i.e. The one player we should have bought but didn't or the player we really shouldn't have bought):

The point at which you were proudest to be a Toon fan:

The point at which you were deeply embarassed of the club (if any):

Best Home atmosphere:

Best away atmosphere:

Toon Pros of this year:

Toon Cons of this year:

Overall Comment:

Note: This is for the whole year. January 06' to the Present day. Just in case people misunderstand. Events last season after January can be included (e.g. Shearer, Souness being sacked etc...)

Guest eltsacwen

THIS SEASON!

Best Match: Portsmouth (h) (league)

Worst Match: Sheffield Utd (h)

Best Goal Scored: Dyer, Arsenal

Worst Goal Conceeded: Alonso... :(

Best Player: Sibierski

Worst Player:  Bramble

Best XI: Givem-Solano-Taylor-Ramage-Baba-Milner-Parker-Dyer-Duff-Martins-Sibierski

Best Signing made: Sibierski

Biggest Mistake in the Transfer market (i.e. The one player we should have bought but didn't or the player we really shouldn't have bought): Rossi

The point at which you were proudest to be a Toon fan: Arsenal away

The point at which you were deeply embarassed of the club (if any): Alonso's goal

Overall Comment: depressing season

With the end of the year fast approaching, I was interested to know what people have thought of this year.

Best Match: Newcastle United 3 - 1 Wigan Athlethic 15th April 2006 - Shearer's penultimate game gave a real glimpse of Alan Shearer at his best.

Worst Match: Newcastle United 0 - 1 Sheffield United - Just dreadful

Best Goal Scored: Parker vs Charlton

Worst Goal Conceeded: 1st versus Fulham in September

Best Player: Ameobi

Worst Player: Carr

Best Overall Moment: Shearer's record breaking goal

Worst Overall Moment: Embarassment versus Sheffield United

Best XI:

On the pitch at one moment:

Given

Solano Taylor Bramble Ramage

Milner Butt Emre N'Zogbia

Dyer Martins

Individually:

Given

Solano Taylor Bramble Babayaro

Milner Parker Emre N'Zogbia

Shearer Ameobi

Best Signing made: Antoine Sibierski

Biggest Mistake in the Transfer market (i.e. The one player we should have bought but didn't or the player we really shouldn't have bought): Damien Duff

The point at which you were proudest to be a Toon fan: The peak of the Hitzfeld Campaign

The point at which you were deeply embarassed of the club (if any): The derision of the Hitzfeld campaign as a betting scam.

Best Home atmosphere: Shearer testimonial

Best away atmosphere: Dont know

Toon Pros of this year: Shearer's return to form for his final days, Mackems 4-1, Chelsea 1-0, Palermo 1 - 0, Tim Krul, Wigan 3-1, Solano at right back, Dyer's return.

Toon Cons of this year:Graeme Souness, Glenn Roeder, Freddy Shepherd, Luque. Owen injuries.

Overall Comment: If only we had a good chairman who was able to appoint good managers...

Best Match: Newcastle 4 - 1 Sunderland

Worst Match: Newcastle 0 - 1 Sheffield United

Best Goal Scored: Solano v Arsenal

Best Player: Parker

Worst Player: Luque

Best Overall Moment: Souness sacked

Worst Overall Moment: Watching Owen tear his knee ligaments

Best Signing made: In the long run I believe it will be Martins

Biggest Mistake in the Transfer market (i.e. The one player we should have bought but didn't or the player we really shouldn't have bought): Not bringing in Sol Campbell

The point at which you were proudest to be a Toon fan: When we fought back to finish 7th

The point at which you were deeply embarassed of the club (if any): Never embarrassed to be a Toon fan

Best Home atmosphere: Shearer's testamonial

Toon Pros of this year: Got rid of Souness and building for the future.

Toon Cons of this year: It took us so long to sack Souness

Overall Comment: Looking forward to next season.

Best Match:

Probably our 2-0 win over Pompey in Roeder's first game. It was such a delight to see us play such attacking one-touch football after 18 months of hell under Souness. One of our best performances this year.

Worst Match:

We were absolutely unbelieveable against Sheffield United the other week but the 3-0 away defeat to Man City was probably the worst. The only time this year I've turned a Newcastle game off at half time. Shocking peformance and I knew straight afterwards, it would Souness' last game in charge.

Best Goal Scored:

Shearer's goal against Pompey is the goal that sticks out in my mind. Great finish for a great player and he deserved to break the record in that way.

Worst Goal Conceeded:

There's quite a few. The two Bolton goals the other week were shocking to conceed as were the Fulham ones and the Rooney goals last season at OT.

Best Player:

It's gonna be either Shearer or Given. Given has never put in a bad performance all season; he is arguably one of the best Goalkeepers in this league, some of his saves are World Class and in terms of consistency, there are very few who can match him. Shearer was amazing as well. We couldn't score if he wasn't on the pitch and his goals and leadership helped us to 7th place.

Worst Player:

Gotta be Boumsong. His mistakes were ridiculous and I'm so glad we managed to get rid of him. He was the poorest defender I've ever seen and Bramble is even a better defender than him. He looked clueless and in a different world on the pitch. Bramble and Ramage even managed more decent appearances than he did. Possibly one of the worst defenders we've ever had.

Best Overall Moment:

Watching Shearer off in style with his penalty at the Gallowgate end and the reception the fans created that night. Also making Europe beating Chelsea 1-0 was a pretty special moment.

Worst Overall Moment:

The last few days of the transfer window; I went in with so much hope and expectation and came out with Rossi, Bernard and Sibierski - the latter being the only one to impress thus far.

Best XI:

This year:

Given

Solano Taylor Moore Babayaro

Milner Parker Bowyer N'Zogbia

Emre

Shearer

This Season:

Given

Solano Taylor Ramage N'Zogbia

Milner Emre Butt Dyer

Sibierski Martins

Best Signing made:

Probably Sibierski as he's the only signing that has impressed me this season. Duff has been a let down and Martins is only just beginning to shine.

Biggest Mistake in the Transfer market (i.e. The one player we should have bought but didn't or the player we really shouldn't have bought):

Duff was a waste of £5m imo. We didn't really need him and he hasn't really impressed. That money could have been better spent at the back or upfront - Midfield is not a priority.

Probably, like T27, being involved in the Hitzfeld campaign and seeing it peak like it did. It showed what a group of Toon fans can do if they have the commitment to succeed.

I'm never really embarassed to be a fan of Newcastle but some of the performances have made me feel like the rest of the world is laughing at us.

Best Home atmosphere:

The Shearer Testimonial was amazing and the scarf waving made it even more special. It really was a special way to bid farewell to Shearer.

Best away atmosphere:

Probably the Sunderland atmosphere after Shearer scored the penalty. It really did shut them up  bluebiggrin.gif

Toon Pros of this year:

Shearer breaking the record, Souness finally leaving the club, reaching Europe against the odds, qualifying for the Knockout stages of the UEFA Cup, Taylor finally getting his first goal, the 4-1 thrashing of Sunderland, the development of Butt after his return from Birmingham, Milner starting to look very good on the wing, Dyer back to fitness (hopefully)

Toon Cons of this year:

Roeder isn't the right man for the job, Shepherd is still chairman, the spending in transfer window was ridiculous, Owen's injured, we still have players like Bramble, Carr and Babayaro at the club, Luque doesn't look like he's going to get any better, we haven't replaced Shearer.

Overall Comment:

Decent year but could and should have been alot better than it was. Major things need to be changed in 2007, we need better defenders and a better manager, we need to win a trophy and we need to get away from the bottom half of the table. Bring on 2007

Guest theunis

Best Match:

That i have watched last game against Pompey made them look very poor.

Worst Match:

Shef loss :(

Best Goal Scored:

Dyer at Arsenal, just great to see him back scoring

Worst Goal Conceeded:

Alonso

Best Player:

Sibi has been a semi hero

Worst Player:

Duff because of the hype

Best Overall Moment:

Making it in to europe

Worst Overall Moment:

Loss to sheffield

Best XI:

Given

Solano, Taylor,Moore,Ramage

Butt, Parker, Emre, Dyer

Sibi,Martins

Only leave Nzog out because he has been up and down

Best Signing made:

No doubt Sibi, instant hit, but Martins going to come good soon

Luque

Pompey win, just made a high flying team look poor

Never really always will love beeing a fan

Best Home atmosphere:

Shearer

Best away atmosphere:

No clue

Toon Pros of this year:

Solano at RB

Toon Cons of this year:

Brambles up and downs

Overall Comment:

Not nice beeing low in the prem, but things turning around, so very optimistic currently

Best Match: Newcastle 2 - 0 Pompey [Charles And Shearer]

Worst Match: Home to Fulham. 2-1 loss.

Best Goal Scored: Solano's outside of the foot curler

Worst Goal Conceded: Alonso's

Best Player: Shola

Worst Player: CARR CARR CARR

Best Overall Moment: Souey going

Worst Overall Moment: Roeder's full-time appointment

Best XI: Given, Bramble, Moore, Baba, Solano, Emre, Milner, Zog, Dyer, Shola, Shearer

Best Signing made: Has to be Antoine.

Biggest Mistake in the Transfer market (i.e. The one player we should have bought but didn't or the player we really shouldn't have bought): Sticking up for Carr and our depth at right-back.

The point at which you were proudest to be a Toon fan: Playing entertaining football against Arsenal for the first time in yonks

The point at which you were deeply embarassed of the club (if any): When Souness made us play like Everton/Bolton/Chelsea [and minus the relative success of the mentioned teams too!]

Best Home atmosphere: Pompey game

Best away atmosphere: Villa

Toon Pros of this year: Dyer, Bramble and Shola

Toon Cons of this year: Failure to even recognise the team's problems ie. full-back positions

Overall Comment: Mixed fortunes ahead

Guest optimistic nit

Best Match: not one stands out

Worst Match: too many

Best Goal Scored: did we score any goals this year? solano's vs everton

Worst Goal Conceeded: tricky one, have to say dioufs first this season and the alonso cufuffle

Best Player: krul

Worst Player: owen. was shite this year blueyes.gif carr's contribution is in negative figures however

Best Overall Moment: souness' sacking

Worst Overall Moment: roeder's hiring

Best XI: Given- Solano- Moore- Bramble- Baba- Milner- Emre- Butt- Zog- Shearer- Sibi

Best Signing made: martins

Biggest Mistake in the Transfer market (i.e. The one player we should have bought but didn't or the player we really shouldn't have bought): so many.

The point at which you were proudest to be a Toon fan: the last match brought a bit of pride back actually.

The point at which you were deeply embarassed of the club (if any): the other 11 months

Best Home atmosphere: at home to liverpool

Best away atmosphere: away to arsenal

Toon Pros of this year: a few good performances

Toon Cons of this year: the rest of the shite we've had to endrue

Overall Comment: COCKS!!

Best Match: Sunderland

Worst Match: Sheff Utd

Best Goal Scored: Shearer record breaker

Worst Goal Conceeded: Harpers stumble.

Best Player: Shay Given

Worst Player: Steven Carr

Best Overall Moment: Souness' sacking

Worst Overall Moment: Not getting a qualified manager

Best XI:

-------------Given

Solano--Taylor--Moore--Ramage

Milner--Parker--Butt--Zoggy

-------Shearer--Sibby--------

Best Signing made: The Sib

Biggest Mistake in the Transfer market (i.e. The one player we should have bought but didn't or the player we really shouldn't have bought): Sol Campbell

The point at which you were proudest to be a Toon fan: Haven't felt pride in my team for a long time.

The point at which you were deeply embarassed of the club (if any): Whenever the fat one speaks.

Best Home atmosphere: Shearer

Best away atmosphere:

Toon Pros of this year: Euro campaign

Toon Cons of this year: League form, poor manager, rubbish buys, FS the fat cunt & the takeover not going though quick enough (if at all)

Overall Comment: A year that started well after Souness was sacked, we did everything right up until the announcement of GR as permenant manager. After that it snowballed. Owen injury forced the club into panic mode and we walked away losers in the transfer market. All the hard work put in at the start of the year has been un-done, and now in 2007, we've got the same fuking problems only this time the fans dont hate the manager.

Guest Kenton Magpie

Best Match – Wigan 3-1 (Shearers brace was something special to me for some reason)

Worst Match – Sheff United

Best Goal Scored – Shearers vs. Pompey

Worst Goal Conceded – Alonso’s

Best Player – Parker

Worst Player – Bramble

Best XI – Given, Solano, Moore, Taylor, Ramage, Dyer, Parker, Emre, N’zogbia, Shearer, Owen

Best Signing – Sibierski

Biggest Mistake in the Transfer market (i.e. The one player we should have bought but didn't or the player we really shouldn't have bought): Duff (so far)

The point at which you were proudest to be a Toon fan: Cardiff (The Support that day was amazing despite the shite on show)

The point at which you were deeply embarassed of the club (if any): On the eve of mr souness’s departure at man city

Best Home atmosphere: Shearer's Testimonial

Best away atmosphere: Cardiff (again)

Toon Pros of this year: European Football still on the cards

Toon Cons of this year: League Position

Overall comment - Can it get any worse!?

Best Match:

Sunderland 1-4 Newcastle. Just... just... och. God. Yes. Yes yes.

Worst Match:

Newcastle 0-1 Sheffield United. Absolutely embarrassing. Must surely go down as one of our worst Premiership defeats ever? It has to do. One of the lowest of the lows. Disgraceful.

Best Goal Scored:

Nobby Solano vs Everton. Absolutely beautiful goal. The swerve, the technique, the teasing pace. It was just glorious. That was Nobby Solano quality that was... just awesome.

Worst Goal Conceeded:

Has to be Xabi Alonso's. That's just embarrassing.

Best Player:

Shay Given. By an absolute country mile.

Worst Player:

Jean-Alain Boumsong. By an absolute country mile.

Best Overall Moment:

Has to be Shearer's record breaking goal against Pompey. Stuff dreams are made of really. Not-so-closely followed by the Europe-clinching victory over Chelsea.

Worst Overall Moment:

Roeder's full-time appointment. Sceptical at first, but my God. Absolutely pathetic that we appointed a man of Roeder's stature, really. And Owen's injury at the World Cup.

Best XI:

Based on individual performances:

Given

Carr --- Bramble --- Moore --- Ramage

Solano --- Parker --- Bowyer --- N'Zogbia

Sharer --- Ameobi

Now:

Given

Solano --- Taylor --- Moore --- Babayaro

Milner --- Emre --- Butt --- N'Zogbia

Dyer --- Martins

Best Signing made:

Sibierski, but in a year or so's time we'll be creaming over Martins.

Biggest Mistake in the Transfer market (i.e. The one player we should have

bought but didn't or the player we really shouldn't have bought):

Duff. I mean... why?

The atmosphere generated at Shearer's testimonial.

The home losses of this season.

Best Home atmosphere:

Shearer's testimonial.

Best away atmosphere:

Dunno.

Guest Ridzuan

Best Match: Newcastle 2 - 0 Porstmouth,particularly because Big Al made a history

Worst Match: Sheffield United,one of the most boring matches Ive ever seen any football team playing

Best Goal Scored:

Worst Goal Conceded: Many to choose from actually

Best Player: Shay Given

Worst Player: Ramage and Carr deserve the honour

Best Overall Moment: Qualify for the last 32 of UEFA Cup

Worst Overall Moment: Being in or around the relegation zone from the start of the season

Best XI: Given, Babayaro,Moore,Taylor,Solano,Milner,Dyer,Parker,N'zogbia,Shearer,Martins

Best Signing made: Sibierski

Biggest Mistake in the Transfer market : Not buying Campbell

The point at which you were proudest to be a Toon fan: Alan Shearer's testimonial

The point at which you were deeply embarassed of the club (if any): Losing to Sheffield and drawing with Charlton both at home

Best Home atmosphere: Big Al testimonial

Best away atmosphere: No comment

Toon Pros of this year: A successful UEFA Cup campaign so far

Toon Cons of this year: Many to choose from

Overall Comment: Just dont get relegated

Best Match:

Goin with my memory, but we lost to city, and after that Souness got the boot! but im goin with 4-1 sunderland..

Worst Match:

Sheffield united @ home.

Best Goal Scored:

Shearers Last against sunderland.

Worst Goal Conceeded:

When we lost against boro some weeks ago. Scoring with a few mins left to play is really upsetting. Atleast against us :D

Best Player:

Shay Given

Worst Player:

no doubt. Albert Luque.

Best Overall Moment:

Souness Fired..

Worst Overall Moment:

The tension around the club at this very moment. though we are gettin some results, but with all this belgravia talk goin on  i rather have it sorted out sooner rather than later.

Best XI:

Given

Solano-Taylor-Bramble(yes)-Ramage

Milner-Parker-Butt-Duff

--->Martins-Owen.

Best Signing made:

Sibierski. no doubt.

Duff or Martins. Goin with Duff.

Always a proud fan, but to point out, when Roeder turned it around last season.

Souness.Never Embarassed. just hate him. alot.

Best Home atmosphere:

-foreign member.

Best away atmosphere:

-Heard Frankfurth was cracking. From frankfurts side :)

Toon Pros of this year:

Zogbia, Ramage And Tailor. Also like to see dyers fighting spirit now that he is finally back.

Toon Cons of this year:

Owens injury.

Overall Comment:

Its Clear that Shearer never was goin to be easy to replace, i dont think martins is the ideal replacements, but he is anyway a very good player. Tides seems to be turning and hopefully Glen can finish this season of in style, like he did last year. And please with all these takeover talks. its not doin anyone any good with pure speculations, and i hope its sorted out quick to get full focus on field from all parts of the club.