Fire Emblem

Guest Open_C

Guest Open_C

So my move to handhelds of late has got me playing GBA Fire Emblem, which is fucking great, much as some people posted in the 3DS thread.  However, before I get too engrossed in it, would a Fire Emblem old timer tell me whether there comes a point at which I can grind myself out of trouble, or is it just an XCom style set series of maps and if I end up underpowered I have to start again?

ok no 1 which gba fire emblem? if its the first one, look for arena's to bulk up your mob and earn cash but if your like me and have a pathological need to keep everyone alive so any one death will lead to a restart  so keep an eye for when you guy is about to die, they appear every so often. If its the 2nd one arena's exist but theres also a place that will appear on the map later on which is basically one big grind area as well as map skirmish's before you go onto the next chapter

Guest Open_C

First one.  I didn't realise that it had permadeaths :anguish:  What's it doing when I use the "rescue" command?  Just taking the guy I'm rescuing out of the fight altogether?

Cheers :thup:

rescue is basically a way for a bigger unit (judged by the units con flyers/cavalry are better at carrying than infantry) to carry another unit out of trouble but does a number to the units skill and speed stats which leaves it very vulnerable while carrying the other unit they can be dropped later best example is using your horsemen or flyers to swoop in to save the squishy mage from being attacked leg it drop him off next turn and get him healed

Permadeath yes but the first 10 chapters is basically a long tutorial and its own semi-isolated story so any deaths there aren't permanent to the game but it will be for those 10 chapters. After that no chances. Also if any of the lords die game over.

Guest Open_C

rescue is basically a way for a bigger unit (judged by the units con flyers/cavalry are better at carrying than infantry) to carry another unit out of trouble but does a number to the units skill and speed stats which leaves it very vulnerable while carrying the other unit they can be dropped later best example is using your horsemen or flyers to swoop in to save the squishy mage from being attacked leg it drop him off next turn and get him healed

Permadeath yes but the first 10 chapters is basically a long tutorial and its own semi-isolated story so any deaths there aren't permanent to the game but it will be for those 10 chapters. After that no chances. Also if any of the lords die game over.

Oh right, well I'm just up to chapter 7 which might explain why I haven't had the opportunity to, for example, repair weapons yet.  Cheers again :thup:

only one item in the game repairs items and it has 3 charges, you replace instead and use the repair item for the unique weapons like Lyn's sword.

Also some final bits of free advice, you can promote units at level 10 but don't (except for healers who are a pain and a half to level up) wait til they max at level 20 and you have only a certain amount of promotion items so choose carefully which guys you go with. Do the side chapters (theres one at the end of the chapter your on) at all times even just for the xp and at chapter 11 theres a unit called marcus who will be at face value way better than anything else you have, do not use him if you can avoid it (except for things like rescue) he's a promoted unit to begin with and the xp he gets will be much smaller than the other guys you have would get, use them instead and more than likely once grown up they will be better. (its a common trope in fire emblem games to have that sort of unit to ease you in and give you a safety net but mostly they ain't that great a unit long term)

Guest Open_C

Man, you made it look like I thought a ten year old GBA game was WOAT :undecided:

:lol: It probably is, actually

Guest Open_C

Totally ten years old

Maybe if you just take off the (GBA) bit, what with there being a new one coming along soon :)

Guest Open_C

I had it confused with another DS game, the name of which I forget, which had a similar way of moving about except that you had to actually go through enemies on your route to damage them, rather than stopping near them and attacking.  Really liking Fire Emblem, though, and the demo of the 3DS one is great :thup:

its a great series and most of them with their own individual story (Radiant Dawn on the Wii is a sequel of Path of Radiance on the gamecube but thats the only one released outside japan thats a sequel story) Anyone who liked advance wars will more than likely like these games and any turn based strategy fan will like them too.

Guest Open_C

Not going to get it for a couple of weeks now :anguish:  Will have to make do with the old GBA ones for the time being :)