The general stupidity of football fans

Dr Venkman

The general level of discontent when we pass it about, particularly when we've not had the ball in ages. Or when people scream for our defenders to 'GET RID!' then also complain about aimless balls upfield.

Aye this one does my head in too, sometimes you've got to just keep the ball for a bit.

:anguish: its like some don't even understand the game man, i do know people like that though its the same type who would complain if we played like Barca :lol:

The fact that fans seem to accept, with barely a shrug, goals that are given/disallowed when wrongly onside/offside, it's just "ho hum, one of them things" even when it's not even close and an obvious howler.

It's not "one of them things" it's a VERY big deal IMO but there's no groundswell of opinion to change it, or look at it.

If ever there was a candidate for "technology" that should be it. How about just review every goal, it's natural break in play and would take seconds.

O0

Guest neesy111

Oh god aye.  Scored one against Arsenal and people think he must be Paul Scholes. More often than not they're fucking dreadful attempts.

That shot on sunday......

:jesuswept:

Surely the whole point of people howling with derision at a linesman who's flagged one of our players offside (when he clearly is) isn't so much about football fans stupidity, but about applying more pressure on the linesman to not give one of our players offside next time?

Likewise I'm assuming people shout abuse at other teams players to put them off rather than some irrational hatred. Although there are of course exceptions to this rule.

Saying that, I'd prefer if our lot concentrated more on getting behind our team rather than spending time shouting at Di Canio etc. Nothing better than the roar that generates when we're on a fast attacking break.

And not much worse when it breaks down horribly and there's the collective groan which inevitably follows.

The fact that fans seem to accept, with barely a shrug, goals that are given/disallowed when wrongly onside/offside, it's just "ho hum, one of them things" even when it's not even close and an obvious howler.

It's not "one of them things" it's a VERY big deal IMO but there's no groundswell of opinion to change it, or look at it.

If ever there was a candidate for "technology" that should be it. How about just review every goal, it's natural break in play and would take seconds.

O0

Exactly, every time the goal-line technology debate comes up I raise this argument. The goal line is the least of our worries.

O0

Exactly, every time the goal-line technology debate comes up I raise this argument. The goal line is the least of our worries.

True. I think there should be video review for every big decision, so goals/red cards/penalties.

O0

True. I think there should be video review for every big decision, so goals/red cards/penalties.

I mention stuff like that all the time, the technology's there, use it IMO. All I get back is the "it'll kill the flow of the game" etc. The fact that folks, spouting this, spectacularly miss is that the ball's only in play for about 40 minutes of the 90 (if you're lucky) as it stands.

O0

I mention stuff like that all the time, the technology's there, use it IMO. All I get back is the "it'll kill the flow of the game" etc. The fact that folks, spouting this, spectacularly miss is that the ball's only in play for about 40 minutes of the 90 (if you're lucky) as it stands.

The flow of the game shit is nonsense, aside from the fact that it would be a negligible difference, I'd rather watch a game that was fair.

O0

I agree to a certain extent, but was discussing this the other day in relation to how far you take it.  Do you review every single offside decision given or just ones that lead to a goal being allowed/disallowed?  Do you review every single phase of play before a goal?

Say, for example, the ball is played over the top and Cisse would be one on one with the keeper, but Cisse is incorrectly flagged offside - do you review that kind of decision?  If you do review it and realise that Cisse wasn't offside, how do you rectify it?  You can't recreate the exact scenario..

topical, but 2 things that annoy me about stupid fans:

those who can forget an abject performance like it never happened 'cause we fluke a winner

those who think that the fact they've paid for a season ticket somehow makes them more of an expert on football than those without, some of the most clueless cunts i've met have been ST holders

:lol: Not specifically no!

:pokerface:

nah i'm critical of our performances under pardew win or lose 'cause invariably they're the same these days, shit

chelsea away at the start of the season, for example, i didn't really have a bad word to say about despite the fact we were very lucky to walk away with a 2-0...spurs away this season was a good performance in spite of defeat, i can see them when they come...there just aren't that many

Surely the whole point of people howling with derision at a linesman who's flagged one of our players offside (when he clearly is) isn't so much about football fans stupidity, but about applying more pressure on the linesman to not give one of our players offside next time?

Likewise I'm assuming people shout abuse at other teams players to put them off rather than some irrational hatred. Although there are of course exceptions to this rule.

Saying that, I'd prefer if our lot concentrated more on getting behind our team rather than spending time shouting at Di Canio etc. Nothing better than the roar that generates when we're on a fast attacking break.

And not much worse when it breaks down horribly and there's the collective groan which inevitably follows.

Agreed :thup: It's one of the contributing factors to having home advantage. Plenty of people appeal for fouls when they know it wasn't actually a foul, it's simply the way a home crowd interacts and wills the team on.