The general stupidity of football fans

Dr Venkman

The fact that fans seem to accept, with barely a shrug, goals that are given/disallowed when wrongly onside/offside, it's just "ho hum, one of them things" even when it's not even close and an obvious howler.

It's not "one of them things" it's a VERY big deal IMO but there's no groundswell of opinion to change it, or look at it.

If ever there was a candidate for "technology" that should be it. How about just review every goal, it's natural break in play and would take seconds.

O0

Exactly, every time the goal-line technology debate comes up I raise this argument. The goal line is the least of our worries.

True. I think there should be video review for every big decision, so goals/red cards/penalties.

I agree to a certain extent, but was discussing this the other day in relation to how far you take it.  Do you review every single offside decision given or just ones that lead to a goal being allowed/disallowed?  Do you review every single phase of play before a goal?

Say, for example, the ball is played over the top and Cisse would be one on one with the keeper, but Cisse is incorrectly flagged offside - do you review that kind of decision?  If you do review it and realise that Cisse wasn't offside, how do you rectify it?  You can't recreate the exact scenario..

Radical I know but I am of a mind to never stop the game for offside, if a goal results it'd get turned over on the review, if it doesn't result in a goal no big deal and the game flows on.

I mentioned this on another forum and was derided along the lines of, but what if the offside players attack resulted in a corner and they scored from that, there'd be hell on. Well REALLY, would there be hell on ??, we accept goals that are offside without hell on, chances of the corner/goal are MUCH more remote than the already often goal/no goal ruled wrongly (or even attacks wrongly stopped).

Yeah I was going to suggest something similar, just don't stop play. A lot of times play will carry on anyway if the attacking player doesn't get it. If he does, either it's a goal/saved and out of play in which case it's a quick review. Or the keeper's got it anyway and off we go.

The fact that fans seem to accept, with barely a shrug, goals that are given/disallowed when wrongly onside/offside, it's just "ho hum, one of them things" even when it's not even close and an obvious howler.

It's not "one of them things" it's a VERY big deal IMO but there's no groundswell of opinion to change it, or look at it.

If ever there was a candidate for "technology" that should be it. How about just review every goal, it's natural break in play and would take seconds.

O0

Exactly, every time the goal-line technology debate comes up I raise this argument. The goal line is the least of our worries.

True. I think there should be video review for every big decision, so goals/red cards/penalties.

I agree to a certain extent, but was discussing this the other day in relation to how far you take it.  Do you review every single offside decision given or just ones that lead to a goal being allowed/disallowed?  Do you review every single phase of play before a goal?

Say, for example, the ball is played over the top and Cisse would be one on one with the keeper, but Cisse is incorrectly flagged offside - do you review that kind of decision?  If you do review it and realise that Cisse wasn't offside, how do you rectify it?  You can't recreate the exact scenario..

pretty simple for me, linesmen and refs would be much more inclined to give the advantage to the attacker and let things go...defences would adapt to always playing to the whistle

while the ball is in the back of the net video ref reviews and if offside cancels the goal and gives a free kick

take that to the nth degree though and they might end up removed entirely from the decision and everyone just plays every decision pending review

dunno

O0

Dead simple.

A team gets two reviews a game. (like in cricket)

If you get it right you keep the review. If you get it wrong you lose it and you only have one review left. Or indeed you only get one review a game at the start so there's more chance you use it wisely.

O0

pretty simple for me, linesmen and refs would be much more inclined to give the advantage to the attacker and let things go...defences would adapt to always playing to the whistle

while the ball is in the back of the net video ref reviews and if offside cancels the goal and gives a free kick

take that to the nth degree though and they might end up removed entirely from the decision and everyone just plays every decision pending review

dunno

I think the stuff that is game changing, like goals which are fundamental game changers and potentially red cards should be reviewed.

I also think run of the mill stuff like free kicks you don't review (even though players con the ref all the time, sad but it aint going away) and as a team you still have the chance to defend a free kick, you can't recover from conceding an illegal goal quite so readily.

I only really get to away games, so the crowd is generally quite knowledgeable and understanding when things don't happen immediately. Had the 'pleasure' of going to Vicarage Road for a few games recently to watch Watford, and fuck me, there's some clueless bastards amongst their home support. Literally just shouting abuse at the officials for the full 90 minutes and calling their own players cunts. I swear the football is of secondary importance to a lot of them. I don't know if it's the same at St James' regularly, but it was an eye opener.

Guest P.Aimar10

For a while now I've thought that we've got a good shout for having the stupidest fans in the country. Granted, I've never actually sat with any other groups of fans whether home or away so in all likelihood we're just as stupid as the rest. Would be interesting to hear from the likes of Brummie as to what they think is average level of understanding amongst their ranks.

Here's one to get us started:

Fans going absolutely mental when a player places the ball ever so slightly out of the quadrant when taking a corner. Our lot did this over and over and over again on Sunday, trying their best to get the ref to come over and check it. Given that placing the ball and inch to the right or left makes no difference whatsoever to the quality of the delivery, and the fact the mackems were leading and trying to slow the game at every opportunity, this the was the exact reaction they were trying to get. It was doing my f***ing head in :lol:

Football is insane and makes no sense. That's the beauty of it.

When you're watching a match you are allowed to be everything you can not be at your home/work.

I sit every f***ing time in the first row next to the pitch just to insult the players that I know they're republican.

So while some people are screaming: "It's foul you blind b******!", I am going something like: "ABSOLUTELY NO DECENCY IN THE ARTICLE NUMBER 234 OF OUR CONSTITUTION THAT STRICTLY PROHIBITS MONARCHIC MATERIAL!"

You are a gift to this forum jotenko. The Europa League was basically worth it for these mental posts alone.

Hes your problem now :D

O0

Dead simple.

If you get it right you keep the review. If you get it wrong you lose it and you only have one review left. Or indeed you only get one review a game at the start so there's more chance you use it wisely.

If going down the review route I'd allow 3 max, if you use one and it's wrong you lose one of your sub options, if you've used all your subs, tough no reviews left. Not perfect by any stretch but it'd make managers think twice about a stupid/frivolous review.

Dead simple.

I wouldn't want to give the power to the teams. If the point is to get the decision right, it shouldn't matter how many reviews a team has. The process should be completely independent of either team IMO.

Thanks for mentioning the corner quadrant thing, i was in the east stand near the leazes end and this really annoyed me. Was in the west/leazes corner and i just thought "are you kidding me?". The getting on the back of Cisse and Ben Arfa when Cisse has scored 90th minute winners like 4 times in the past month! HBA is the most gifted player we have had in ages...

Also, was commenting about the female lino saying to a guy who had never sat near my before, "to be fair, she has never made a bad decision that i have seen", with the guy to my left agreeing. 10 mins into the game, "howay man, gan back in the kitchen you slut!". Football fans man! :lol:

Glad im not the only one frustrated!

Shouting shoot at Tiote man. Dont think he's struck a ball cleanly since that Arsenal game.

and this! same with Jonas though he has 1 or 2 more to his name :lol:

Shouting shoot at Tiote man. Dont think he's struck a ball cleanly since that Arsenal game.

Not true, he's hit a few corkers since and forced good saves. Not with his left foot of course.

Can't believe this one hasn't been mentioned yet:

http://mtn.ensight-cdn.com/content/tiote2_280.jpg

Shooooooooooooooot!

:lol:

I reckon after his woeful effort on Sunday the fans will now be shouting DON'T SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT.

And he'll still fucking shoot.

Guest Vinkent

Every club has it's fair section of numpties. Just seems that the media loves to gather round ours in particular and create vast swathes of lazy journalism by branding these charvas who don't actually go to the games as fans and the "Toon Army". Does my head in cos the rest of the country seems to lap it up.

Hes your problem now :D

:lol:

I still use serBenfiquista.com frequently.

Just messing with you :)

Do you like our Republic, or do you miss our Monarchy?

have you read the monarchy thread in the general chat section of this 'ere forum ?

I've posted before about fans at the Munich friendly who waxed lyrical about their style of play, patient, keep possession, go back if necessary, wait for the right opportunity, movement off the ball, fluidity etc and we should do the same etc.....................then as soon as we got the ball "GET IT FORWARD MAN, WE'LL NOT SCORE FROM THERE, GET IT WIDE AND CROSS IT MAN"

it translates into the general public aswell, it's not just football fans.

O0

Dead simple.

Said this for ages, would be a brilliant feature, you can only use it for goals ruled out for offside/given and you think he's offside lets say and fouls given in and around the box. I'd be even stricter you get 3 review but get any of them wrong and you lose all your reviews!