The general stupidity of football fans

Dr Venkman

The fact that fans seem to accept, with barely a shrug, goals that are given/disallowed when wrongly onside/offside, it's just "ho hum, one of them things" even when it's not even close and an obvious howler.

It's not "one of them things" it's a VERY big deal IMO but there's no groundswell of opinion to change it, or look at it.

If ever there was a candidate for "technology" that should be it. How about just review every goal, it's natural break in play and would take seconds.

O0

Exactly, every time the goal-line technology debate comes up I raise this argument. The goal line is the least of our worries.

True. I think there should be video review for every big decision, so goals/red cards/penalties.

I agree to a certain extent, but was discussing this the other day in relation to how far you take it.  Do you review every single offside decision given or just ones that lead to a goal being allowed/disallowed?  Do you review every single phase of play before a goal?

Say, for example, the ball is played over the top and Cisse would be one on one with the keeper, but Cisse is incorrectly flagged offside - do you review that kind of decision?  If you do review it and realise that Cisse wasn't offside, how do you rectify it?  You can't recreate the exact scenario..

Dead simple.

A team gets two reviews a game. (like in cricket)

If you get it right you keep the review. If you get it wrong you lose it and you only have one review left. Or indeed you only get one review a game at the start so there's more chance you use it wisely.

Said this for ages, would be a brilliant feature, you can only use it for goals ruled out for offside/given and you think he's offside lets say and fouls given in and around the box. I'd be even stricter you get 3 review but get any of them wrong and you lose all your reviews!

and if you get one right do you get it back ?

Guest fraser

Take me to a rugby match (either code, better at Union) and I'm your man. A game that I played to a good level, understand the rules, understand the tactics, in fact the nuances of the games, making telling, intelligent comments.

I love football but have never played it to a level to give me understanding of the nuances. Frankly, I just want to see us score more than the others and win. I shout suggestions loudly to the players (and officials) most of which I know will be rubbish but I'm passionate and involved; and ignorant. On the other hand I sing and I like to think that I add to the atmosphere rather than detract from it. I do try to be positive. It takes all sorts.

Take me to a rugby match (either code, better at Union) and I'm your man. A game that I played to a good level, understand the rules, understand the tactics, in fact the nuances of the games, making telling, intelligent comments.

I love football but have never played it to a level to give me understanding of the nuances. Frankly, I just want to see us score more than the others and win. I shout suggestions loudly to the players (and officials) most of which I know will be rubbish but I'm passionate and involved; and ignorant. On the other hand I sing and I like to think that I add to the atmosphere rather than detract from it. I do try to be positive. It takes all sorts.

What level did you play at?

On the note of referees...

I really wish ANY dissent would immediately get a booking of the ref. It would soon stop players behaving like wankers after every decision that's for sure. If only the FA/UEFA and FIFA had the balls to really help implement this.

Guest fraser

What level did you play at?

On the note of referees...

I really wish ANY dissent would immediately get a booking of the ref. It would soon stop players behaving like w*****s after every decision that's for sure. If only the FA/UEFA and FIFA had the balls to really help implement this.

My old club plays in SSE National League 1; that's above where I 'could have taken them'! Fags at half-time and whisky on the way to the match!?!?

Not really for this thread but I agree the treatment of football referees leaves a lot to be desired but I do think reffing rugby is easier because of the nature of the game, except at the scrum. At the scrum I think what we see is the general standard of football refereeing, too difficult to deal with unless absolutely obvious and, when difficult, a guess which aggravates players. Football happens so much quicker in general.

Guest BrightonMag

Biggest giveaway for me is when loads of people clap a defender doing a calm header out wide to player, which let's face it should be bread and butter. It's essentially clapping for not being Bramble or Williamson.

Then someone in the middle does something genuinely clever and no one bats an eyelid.

For a while now I've thought that we've got a good shout for having the stupidest fans in the country. Granted, I've never actually sat with any other groups of fans whether home or away so in all likelihood we're just as stupid as the rest. Would be interesting to hear from the likes of Brummie as to what they think is average level of understanding amongst their ranks.

Here's one to get us started:

Fans going absolutely mental when a player places the ball ever so slightly out of the quadrant when taking a corner. Our lot did this over and over and over again on Sunday, trying their best to get the ref to come over and check it. Given that placing the ball and inch to the right or left makes no difference whatsoever to the quality of the delivery, and the fact the mackems were leading and trying to slow the game at every opportunity, this the was the exact reaction they were trying to get. It was doing my f***ing head in :lol:

Plus it almost always is within the area, people just don't grasp the concept of the WHOLE ball.

Not so much stupidity but lack of awareness of offsides when scoring. If someone's threw it's automatic to me to check the lino straight away, and if it goes in the back of the net. I found it tragic on a couple of the Cisse ones on sunday, seeing the joy on everyone's faces while I was still in my chair going IT'S OFFSIDE!.

Argentine football fans beat players after cup exit

Huracan lost in penalties in a cup tie

Dozens of fans of the Argentine football club Huracan have stormed the club's changing rooms after a training session and assaulted some players.

They also stole players' belongings and damaged their cars outside the stadium in Buenos Aires.

The masked fans carried out the attack after a disappointing result.

Second division Huracan had been knocked out of Copa Argentina by first division opponents Godoy Cruz on penalties on Wednesday.

"We were in the showers after Thursday's training session when the disguised fans stormed the rooms and threatened the players," said coach Jose Maria Llop.

He said some of the players had been beaten.

"When we left the stadium, we found out eight cars had been damaged," he added.

The club's president, Alejandro Nadur, said the fans had come in two buses and entered the stadium.

"What they did would not have been justified, even if we had lost 15-0 to Godoy Cruz," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-22211549

The worst thing about the celebrating of offside goals, is that there are some people who probably can't even see the play for the lino's flag flying in front of their friggin face who are still jumping around like Zebeedee at a Scooter concert.

My personal pet hate is people who have no understanding of the game and have obviously never played to any level themselves berating players for not doing things that are technically impossible/wouldn't make any sense in the current scenario.

There's one bloke in our local in particular takes any pass that goes even vaguely towards our own goal as a personal affront, even if there is no forward pass even remotely available he'll still be screaming to "pass it FORWARD man"  :fool:

My personal pet hate is people who have no understanding of the game and have obviously never played to any level themselves berating players for not doing things that are technically impossible/wouldn't make any sense in the current scenario.

There's one bloke in our local in particular takes any pass that goes even vaguely towards our own goal as a personal affront, even if there is no forward pass even remotely available he'll still be screaming to "pass it FORWARD man"  :fool:

Or, when a player has the ball but is surrounded by three opposition players and nobody is giving him an option for a pass. He eventually loses the ball, and people start shouting 'Rrr what the fuck was that man, hes fucking shite... etc'' Like you say, it normally is people who have never played football even at amateur level.

People calling players "shit" gets to me sometimes, even though I do it too :lol:

Yep, suppose it's just easier than saying 'he's obviously absolutely amazing at football but just not quite as good as quite a lot other amazing professional players'.

People calling players "shit" gets to me sometimes, even though I do it too :lol:

:lol:

'I can't fucking stand Simpson, his touch makes my eyes bleed. The less than acceptable cunt'.

• 3 months later...

I think there's a general level of stupidity in society which is reflected in football supporters as it would be in any other group of people with a shared interest.

I don't know so much about racism any more amongst our fans, as one thing I have noticed over the last 5-10 years is that we are finally getting a significant number of Asian fans at our matches, where for years, despite being in an area which is almost entirely Asian these days, we'd get pretty much none. I genuinely can't remember the last time I heard racism amongst our fans - and I sit amongst some particularly fucking stupid people.

I remember a couple of seasons ago, walking to the ground and there were a bunch of pissed up away fans in front of us, think it might have been Stoke fans possibly, I genuinely can't remember, and they were singing "town full of pakis". I was pretty gobsmacked, really. I suspect that is down to regional variations - in racially mixed cities, you're way, way less likely to hear stuff like that than you are from people from more homegenous areas.

What I do notice, though, is a quite staggering level of stupidity where some other issues are concerned. So, for example, whenever we play Liverpool or Everton, we STILL get the Holte End singing that tedious "you'll never work again" bollocks, which, as well as being about 30 years out of date, is moronically short sighted when you consider that both in the 1980s, when the chant became popular, and in the current economic meltdown, the West Midlands is doing just as badly as Merseyside.

The other thing that really, really makes me cringe is homophobia, and the fact that so many people think it is still OK. So you'd never hear the Holte singing racist songs, but you'll still hear them chanting about how Upson takes it up the arse etc etc. It's pretty pathetic, really.

I don't think you can say fans of one club or another are more stupid than any other, though, really.

Oh, apart from Albion fans. They make Birmingham City fans look bright by comparison.

Guest bimpy474

Saw i video yesterday of Sunderland fans (not picking on them as most fans do it), giving V signs and the wanker signs to Newcastle coaches full of supporters. They were grown men with kids. Like those gesture will annoy anyone anyway. It's so pathetic, along with doing it to players and officials. Mind boggling stupidity.

• 5 months later...

:lol: That would pretty much happen up and down the country though, there's a name for it (which I can't remember) but it's all about conformity.

If you're being billed as a "massive" fan in front of a camera, pressure is on to at least look like you know the latest news about the club you're a massive fan off.

Still funny though

I find it stupid that peole complain baout their club or but still support the team blindly.

Dont buy a season ticket next year so 0 have been sold dont go to the games dont buy any s*** nufc shirts and see how fast things change.

Hate the racist Ultras but at least they know how to protest