Do We Have Any Hams Radio Operators ?

Skirge

Any amateurs among us ?

Always been a bit if a radio enthusiast from the good old CB Radio days, often thought about doing my Ham Radio tests but the gear is so expensive.

Was into all the radio stuff myself from about the age of 10 when I got my first scanner. Had a cb for a good few years as well and became a bit of a radio geek tbh. Keep toying with the idea of a scanner again but wont be as good now the police and mobile phones are digital. Spoilt all the fun!

Any amateurs among us ?

Always been a bit if a radio enthusiast from the good old CB Radio days, often thought about doing my Ham Radio tests but the gear is so expensive.

Was into all the radio stuff myself from about the age of 10 when I got my first scanner. Had a cb for a good few years as well and became a bit of a radio geek tbh. Keep toying with the idea of a scanner again but wont be as good now the police and mobile phones are digital. Spoilt all the fun!

Any amateurs among us ?

Think I was about 11 when I got my first CB 15 when I got my first scanner, your right about nothing much to listen to, all the good stuff is gone, police now use tetra airwave technology. You can u motorola tetra handhelds but without the airwave decryption you cannot listen to the coppers.

The new scanners do cover a much better range mind 0 to 3 ghz no gaps and if you went really geeky with a pc interface and decent software you can decade of of the date flying about, pager messages and stuff.

Any amateurs among us ?

Think I was about 11 when I got my first CB 15 when I got my first scanner, your right about nothing much to listen to, all the good stuff is gone, police now use tetra airwave technology. You can u motorola tetra handhelds but without the airwave decryption you cannot listen to the coppers.

The new scanners do cover a much better range mind 0 to 3 ghz no gaps and if you went really geeky with a pc interface and decent software you can decade of of the date flying about, pager messages and stuff.

A lad I know from the cb days is still well into things. Hes got the aor a5000a and reckons its quality. He says you still get a good laugh listening to the shopwatch and pubwatch pmrs. Was tempted but I think id miss the police and mobile phones too much. Still remember the very first signal I picked up on my scanner was on xmas morning and a bloke in london ringing his wife in durham to say he was locked in some public toilets and his trousers had been knicked and he had no idea what had happened :))