Factory for Primark collapses in Bangladesh, killing at least 1000

colinmk

' The Associated Press reported that workers at the Rana Plaza building claimed that on Tuesday they had pointed out severe cracks – so serious they had been reported on Bangladeshi television. But they said the factory manager said there was no problem so they went inside and started work.

“We started working. After about an hour or so the building collapsed suddenly,” said Abdur Rahim, who was knocked unconscious and next came around amid the debris. Other reports suggest workers were threatened they would lose their jobs if they did not work.'

:(

' The Associated Press reported that workers at the Rana Plaza building claimed that on Tuesday they had pointed out severe cracks – so serious they had been reported on Bangladeshi television. But they said the factory manager said there was no problem so they went inside and started work.

“We started working. After about an hour or so the building collapsed suddenly,” said Abdur Rahim, who was knocked unconscious and next came around amid the debris. Other reports suggest workers were threatened they would lose their jobs if they did not work.'

That makes you sick.

Fucking shameful, thats what you get when you buy cheap trackie bottoms...dead people.

I hope that fucking cunt is one of the dead.

I hope he's alive and has to live with it tbh.

I hope that f***ing c*** is one of the dead.

I dont think he'll care tbh...hes alive.

Live with his slaves dying? Doubt the horrible cunt will care.

Guest Sophie S

Terrible thing to happen! It really makes you so angry at Primark and how they are exploiting poor people. Threatening they will loose their jobs... obviously people are so desperate to work they'll disregard their own safety.

But: Will this make you stop buying Primark now? I wish I could say 'yes' and I wish more people would, but knowing me I'll probably forget about it next time I want a new, cheap dress. 

Terrible thing to happen! It really makes you so angry at Primark and how they are exploiting poor people. Threatening they will loose their jobs... obviously people are so desperate to work they'll disregard their own safety.

But: Will this make you stop buying Primark now? I wish I could say 'yes' and I wish more people would, but knowing me I'll probably forget about it next time I want a new, cheap dress.

It being Primark stops me buying from Primark 

Yes I won't buy from them, petty as that sounds. It's not really them in particular that pisses me off so much as the whole thing, it's just a fucking shambles. People working for pennies so we can get our shite for cheap,and the massive companies making so much money yet they don't even give so much of a fuck to make sure their exploited workforce is safe from death.

Another thing that really made me think this morning is the media coverage of this. It's hardly registering really. Compare it to the bombing in the US, are these people that died here of less value in comparison or what?  :rant:

Yes I won't buy from them, petty as that sounds. It's not really them in particular that pisses me off so much as the whole thing, it's just a fucking shambles. People working for pennies so we can get our shite for cheap,and the massive companies making so much money yet they don't even give so much of a fuck to make sure their exploited workforce is safe from death.

Another thing that really made me think this morning is the media coverage of this. It's hardly registering really. Compare it to the bombing in the US, are these people that died here of less value in comparison or what?  :rant:

Course they are man, they're brown and poor and might not speak English. Not important.

The recent earthquake in Sichuan is another case, made not much of scratch.

How is it Primark's fault? They neither built the building that collapsed nor sent the workers into it.

There's little chance that the workers' lives would be improved any by Primark paying higher purchase prices: it'll just go to the factory owners, anyway.

And like you say, virtually nobody will stop shopping at Primark as a result. They all moan about the terrible conditions in sweatshops, how domestic industry is dying, etc. etc., yet they wail about the prices of domestic brands and continue to clamour for cheap Asian crap.

So, yeah, Primark could set up its own factories with its own workers, but prices would have to go up, and everybody would go shop at Matalan instead.

Rather than having a pop at the low-end retailers (where you're basically just saying that only rich people can have loads of stuff), it's the exclusive labels that should be getting stick. They don't pay their workers any more than Primark etc., and have such stupendous margins on their products, they could probably pay PhDs to make them in the centre of Paris and it wouldn't massively impact their bottom line.

How is it Primark's fault? They neither built the building that collapsed nor sent the workers into it.

There's little chance that the workers' lives would be improved any by Primark paying higher purchase prices: it'll just go to the factory owners, anyway.

And like you say, virtually nobody will stop shopping at Primark as a result. They all moan about the terrible conditions in sweatshops, how domestic industry is dying, etc. etc., yet they wail about the prices of domestic brands and continue to clamour for cheap Asian crap.

So, yeah, Primark could set up its own factories with its own workers, but prices would have to go up, and everybody would go shop at Matalan instead.

Rather than having a pop at the low-end retailers (where you're basically just saying that only rich people can have loads of stuff), it's the exclusive labels that should be getting stick. They don't pay their workers any more than Primark etc., and have such stupendous margins on their products, they could probably pay PhDs to make them in the centre of Paris and it wouldn't massively impact their bottom line.

Companies like Apple are the worst imho. There was that report that came out a few years ago about one of the factories supplying parts for Apple (Foxconn iirc) and it was like something from a Dickens novel. The workers were paid so little and worked in such poor and hugely strict conditions the suicide rate was an enormous amount higher than the rest of the population. Loads of the workers lived on-site and only got to see their families maybe once every few weeks, and this is all because a company which is reported to have $100billion dollars in reserve wants to squeeze every last cent out of what they sell. Capitalism at its very worst.

Guest Sophie S

You're making it quite comfortable for yourself there. Saying it's not Primark's fault, but the factory owner's, and it wouldn't change if Primark were to pay more, you're basically putting all power out of your hands. Because if it's not Primarks fault, then you and me don't have to feel guilty for buying there. And of course you're right: it is directly the fault of the people being responsible (for that building on that day, for the money they pay, etc) but if Primark would care, they could make sure what happens upstream in the production process is happening on the right terms. It is not something they have absolutely no control over.

The other issue you've raised is in my eyes more important: Primark produce cheap and sell cheap, wherease other companies produce cheap and sell expensive. So yes, targeting them with our hatred for sweat shops would be much more appropriate.

But then again, this accident happend at a factory producing for Primark and not producing for Apple. So people could either pretend to irgnore the whole issue (because it's really not Primark's fault and because Apple is so much more despicable), or it could actually be used to start a healthy discussion and spark some attention for the poor conditions people produce the clothes under that we're all buying. And I don't think we should pretend Primark have really such a small margin, they make a bloody fortune, too. They could afford to pay more and keep prices the same, but they won't, because they don't have to.

So if the outcome of all this is that people do consider where to buy their clothes at, and Primark would feel a loss and reconsider their practice, then I'd say well done and never mind that it's Primark and not Apple. (However, unfortunately, this would only happen in an ideal world and there, we wouldn't even need to have this discussion.)

Companies like Apple are the worst imho. There was that report that came out a few years ago about one of the factories supplying parts for Apple (Foxconn iirc) and it was like something from a Dickens novel. The workers were paid so little and worked in such poor and hugely strict conditions the suicide rate was an enormous amount higher than the rest of the population. Loads of the workers lived on-site and only got to see their families maybe once every few weeks, and this is all because a company which is reported to have $100billion dollars in reserve wants to squeeze every last cent out of what they sell. Capitalism at its very worst.

:)

Although the number of workplace suicides at the company is large in absolute terms, the suicide rate is still low when compared to the rest of China[8] although the country has a high suicide rate with over 20 deaths per 100,000 persons.[15] In 2010, Foxconn's worst year for workplace suicides with a total of 14 deaths, their total employee count was 930,000 people.[16] The workplace suicide rate for Foxconn that year was 1.5 per 100,000 making it well below the national average suicide rate (around 7% of the national average). Even when calculated as if all the employee deaths were from the Shenzhen factory complex alone (to simulate a localised area suicide rate), which in 2010 had a workforce of 450,000,[16] the rate is still well below the national average at 3.11 per 100,000 (around 14% the national average).

http://i.imgur.com/YoS2MA0.png

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2010-05-26/tech/30097107_1_suicide-rate-foxconn-suicide-prevention

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/foremski/media-gets-its-facts-wrong-working-at-foxconn-significantly-cuts-suicide-risk/1356

http://www.statschat.org.nz/2011/08/18/foxconn-suicides/