Back to basics?

Dave

4-4-2. Cisse and Gouffran up front. Two central midfielders in the middle, two wide players out wide.

Is it time to go back to something where we at least can tell players just to stay where the fuck they are picked?

This is for the rest of the season I mean. Damage limitation.

Guest bimpy474

Not sure it matter how we line up now, his negative outlook is going to shackle us whatever formation we use.

It's ironic that playing 4-4-2 was what got a lot of people wound up about Pardew in the first place, but I just feel that the 'shape' has got progressively worse in recent months. Culminating in today's fucking farce.

Ignoring the personnel he picks, is Pardew over-complicating things by persisting with the 4-2-3-1 because it worked against a couple of opponents?

Not sure we'd be much better in a 4-4-2 now that we've got nobody to hit from back-to-front and nobody capable of holding the ball up.

We hit it back to front and have nobody to hold the ball up now, I'm not really expecting much change on that front. :lol:

I'm just trying to think of a way where we at least put round pegs in round holes. Just for the last few games, to try and give ourselves a chance.

Don't think we have well-rounded enough midfielders to play it to be honest. I think if we went 4-4-2 then we'd have to drop Cabaye.

I think 4-2-3-1 is fine but it needs to be done right.

Elliot

Debuchy  Colo/MYM/Taylor  Haidara

Perch

Sissoko

Cabaye

HBA              Cisse            Gouffran

Not sure it matter how we line up now, his negative outlook is going to shackle us whatever formation we use.

Couldn't give a shit as long as we get the points required tbh, then the c*nt go. ( preferably he can go now but i don't think that will happen)

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Basics shouldn't be formation, it should be setting out what we actually do with the ball - that's the basics.

- Who are the defenders passing it to?

- Where are we looking to attack?

-- Are we a team that uses the flanks?

-- Are we a team that plays centrally?

-- Does our width come from wingers or overlapping fullbacks?

- Even getting the players to move and support each other would be the very first look at 'basics'.

-- At the moment when we attack we've got our defensive line standing 30 yards from our own goal.

-- Midfield line are standing on the half way line

-- While the lone forward is standing on the edge of the opposition box isolated and alone

-- Who is supporting from midfield?

-- How are the wide players supporting? Do they stay out wide and look to hit the ball in? Or are they coming off the line to link up with Cisse?

- Even defending needs basics

-- Cisse is putting pressure on up high

-- Yet midfield are standing on the half way line, there's no cover.

-- Defense are still standing 30 yards from own goal

That's all I can be bothered to type.

4-4-2. Cisse Shola and Gouffran up front. Two central midfielders in the middle, Cisse out wide.

On a serious note though, it could work. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different outcome. However every week we do the same. Something needs to change.

I worry who would play wide though. We have no wingers at the club at all.

4-4-2. Cisse and Gouffran up front. Two central midfielders in the middle, two wide players out wide.

Is it time to go back to something where we at least can tell players just to stay where the fuck they are picked?

This is for the rest of the season I mean. Damage limitation.

yes.

too late to tinker and change best to just go with something everyone knows

Has to be said, I think our problems are far worse than formations though. Something stinks and if that basic motivation/belief is missing, then it's pointless.

Oh I'm not saying for a second that this is any silver bullet. Pardew and his ideas need to go. I just think we look like a bunch of schoolkids at the moment, all running all over the place. If we're going to pick up some more points, it might be worth putting players where they normally play and just telling them to stay there.

One of the first things Keegan done when he took over from Allardyce was getting a team that was so devoid of confidence and afraid of playing football to get back to the basics of passing and moving. Unfortunately we don't have the time for that to happen between now and the end of the season. Like with the rest of Pardew's reign we have to hope that somebody will pull something out of nothing.