Mac problems

Super Duper Branko Strupar

I thought there was a Mac thread in here already but cannay find it. Merge if there is.

My gf has a mac, I can provide more details later but thought whilst I remembered I could start looking for answers. I have literally no clue about Macs.

She uses it mainly for editing video. She does a lot of filming and uses final cut to edit her footage. She's recently been getting error messages saying something along the lines of her needing more memory when she's rendering/capturing footage. She has an external hard drive and I'm sure she will have enough space left for what she needs. She piped up yesterday saying what she needed was extra RAM, which I thought was strange. Why would she need extra RAM if she's been fine using it for the past 2 years or more.

She never turns it off and it's slow as sweets now. She has no clue when it comes to looking after stuff.

I doubt it's a RAM problem, I think it has 4GB. I could be wrong though.

Guest neesy111

I thought there was a Mac thread in here already but cannay find it. Merge if there is.

My gf has a mac, I can provide more details later but thought whilst I remembered I could start looking for answers. I have literally no clue about Macs.

She uses it mainly for editing video. She does a lot of filming and uses final cut to edit her footage. She's recently been getting error messages saying something along the lines of her needing more memory when she's rendering/capturing footage. She has an external hard drive and I'm sure she will have enough space left for what she needs. She piped up yesterday saying what she needed was extra RAM, which I thought was strange. Why would she need extra RAM if she's been fine using it for the past 2 years or more.

She never turns it off and it's slow as sweets now. She has no clue when it comes to looking after stuff.

I doubt it's a RAM problem, I think it has 4GB. I could be wrong though.

What program is she using?

Surely she can't need more than 4GB RAM? Surely it's something she's doing to create that problem? Ridiculously big file sizes? Just not doing stuff properly.

It's Final Cut, Neesy.

4 GB is pretty much absolute bare minimum for Final Cut Pro (depending on which version she's using).

Video editing/processing is probably the most RAM/HD intensive thing you can do with a computer.

Typically, you'd spec 16 GB RAM for video editing these days (you can still get away with 8, but for £50 more, going with 16 is a no-brainer). Plus the fastest, biggest drives you can afford.

Surely she can't need more than 4GB RAM? Surely it's something she's doing to create that problem? Ridiculously big file sizes? Just not doing stuff properly.

It's Final Cut, Neesy.

4 GB is pretty much absolute bare minimum for Final Cut Pro (depending on which version she's using).

Video editing/processing is probably the most RAM/HD intensive thing you can do with a computer.

Typically, you'd spec 16 GB RAM for video editing these days (you can still get away with 8, but for £50 more, going with 16 is a no-brainer). Plus the fastest, biggest drives you can afford.

Boom, ta. That'll be me forking out again.

Guest neesy111

Best place for RAM at a good price? '08/'09 iMac.

Got 16GB of RAM a few months ago for 60 quid on Ebuyer.

Go off whatever OWC says. It looks like 6gb max. Probably be a cheap boost, but that upgrade amount is not exactly gonna set the world alight.

OWC

edit: forum seems to think a link to macsales.com is a youtube video or something...

eshop.macsales.com/memory/maxram

Found a forum where people are claiming they have installed and had verified, more RAM in to their Mac than the system specs say is possible. Does anyone reckon this would be do-able? Or are they talking utter shit?

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. It would depend on the specific model involved and where Apple's limit came from.

AFAIK, the Intel/Gigabyte hardware in all current Macs supports at least 16 GB RAM, but there's no way to get more than 8 in the MBA, for example.

From what I can glean, although you can stick up to 6 GB in there, the iMac 8,1's Core 2 Duo processor won't be able to use it.

Probably best to just put the cash in the piggy bank towards a new computer in a year or two.

Pop open the Mac menu -> About this Mac -> More Info...

It'll say in big letters at the top which model you have (iMac 20"/MBA 11" etc.) and underneath which year.

IIRC, in pre-Lion versions of OS X, you need to hit the System Report button. You'll see the ModelIdentifier, something like iMac8,1.

8,1 is the 2008 iMac, 9,1 the 2009 model.