Slayer Appreciation Thread

Vinny Green Balls

A band who never sold out.  Megadeth and Metallica = utter shit in comparison.

True. Metallica was good until the black album, though. Never cared too much for Megadeth. Rust in Peace was pretty good, I guess. Anthrax was okay. They sort of tried to cash in on grunge and changed their style.

Your opinion is rendered meaningless once you rate Metallica and Megadeth higher than Slayer.  Anybody who properly knows metal would call you mad for rating Metallica as having written the best metal.  And anyone who knows a bit of music would also rate Lombardo, Araya, Hanneman and King as significantly better musicians than Hetfield, Hammett (not saying those two are bad musicians) and that talentless prick "friend of the band" Ulrich.  Does Hetfield even realize how fucking retarded he sounds when he puts that ridiculous emphasis on certain words?

And Mustiaine?  Jesus Christ.  Inane would fail to begin to describe him.  And that absurd voice...

I'll think you'll find a lot of people rate Metallica and Megadeth over Slayer, mate. I know every single one of mates does for a start :lol: And you're telling me MOP, RTL and AJFA isn't up there with the best metal music ever written? Get out :lol:

Slayer haven't written anything close to Metallica's first 4 albums, that's a cold hard fact.

And if we're judging bands purely on the ability of the musicians who make up said band then that would make Rush/Frank Zappa the two best bands that ever existed but I know I can certinatly think of better bands (imo) than those two.

And yes Mustaine's voice is horrific but he makes up for it by being a better guitar player than Hammett, Hetfield, King AND Hanemann. And as a Slayer fan you can hardly comment on a singers voice :lol:

Guest Open_C

anyone who knows a bit of music would also rate Lombardo, Araya, Hanneman and King as significantly better musicians than Hetfield, Hammett (not saying those two are bad musicians) and that talentless prick "friend of the band" Ulrich. 

:lol: tbh

Knowing about music has precisely fuck all to do with it :lol: :lol:  I can name any number of musicians that are  technically streets ahead of any of those, but who you almost certainly wouldn't be falling over yourself to listen to (and aye, Zappa would be my top choice) :)

All 4 are great bands that influenced thousands of bands that are playing now days, RIP Jeff Hanneman, one of the best metal guitarists to ever exist.

This is the point :thup:

Used to listen to Slayer a long time ago when I was moving in those circles at school.  I always preferred them to the other thrash lot, but recognised even then that it was nowt to do with how good they were as musicians :)  An erstwhile friend of mine will be very sad at this news.

anyone who knows a bit of music would also rate Lombardo, Araya, Hanneman and King as significantly better musicians than Hetfield, Hammett (not saying those two are bad musicians) and that talentless prick "friend of the band" Ulrich. 

Knowing about music has precisely fuck all to do with it :lol: :lol:  I can name any number of musicians that are  technically streets ahead of any of those, but who you almost certainly wouldn't be falling over yourself to listen to (and aye, Zappa would be my top choice) :)

I was expecting you to whip out a name of some obscure classical guitarist :lol:

I always preferred Sepultura from the thrash bands and somehow I've never listened to Slayer. Is Reign In Blood the biggest classic? Should give Slayer a try at some point.

Also, do we have a general metal thread here? If we don't have it would be a great idea as I don't know anything about new bands as I don't follow stuff closely enough.

Sepultura are awesome but my favourite metal band has to be Pantera, still gutted about Dimebag, probably my favourite metal guitarist, his solos were incredible.

Think there was a metal thread ages ago, not sure if it'll have been culled now though.. 'What are you listening to, metal edition' would be sweet :D

Guest Open_C

I was expecting you to whip out a name of some obscure classical guitarist :lol:

Oh, I can think of a few classical musicians who'd wipe the floor with almost anyone: in the interests of keeping to people that most folk might have heard of, I would go with Zappa :)

Guest Open_C

Zappa, Vai and Bozzio :megusta:

Preferred Aynsley Dunbar, but I agree with the general point :)

Sepultura are awesome but my favourite metal band has to be Pantera, still gutted about Dimebag, probably my favourite metal guitarist, his solos were incredible.

Think there was a metal thread ages ago, not sure if it'll have been culled now though.. 'What are you listening to, metal edition' would be sweet :D

Someone should do this, would be great. :thup:

A lot of people also supported W Bush.  No cold hard facts here.  Just assumptions...mine being an educated one, and yours being utter shit :)  I find it hard to believe, however, that you call yourself a fan of thrash metal and rate fucking Megadeth over Slayer.  That is just absurd.  Metallica's first 4 albums were good, I will grant you that.  I just think Slayer took it to a different level of distinctly evil.  Megadeth in particular just took it to distinctly horseshit.  I can see the argument for Metallica, but Megadeth?  Fucking Megadeth?  That's like thinking Queensryche is better than Judas Priest.

Agreed that none of the big 4 would be considered music virtuosos.  But for someone to claim that Metallica has performed the best metal ever :) 

Will agree with you about Zappa.  Fucking genius, and some of the tightest compositions you will ever find.  Rush were absolutely fantastic in the 70's.  Amazing musicians, but I think they seriously lost the plot in the 80's.  Still appreciate what they did though.