Goal scorers

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Whichever league we are in next season we need to go out and buy players who score goals.

We are desperately short of goal scorers throughout the whole team. There is not one regular goal scorer in our defence or midfield. It doesn't appear to be a criteria for the players we bring in. Before joining Newcastle United Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Gutierrez and Sissoko didn't have track records for being regular goal scorers. Santon is the only defender to score for us this season.

The fact that Demba Ba is still our top Premier League goal scorer even though he left in January speaks volumes.

http://www.nufc.com/2012-13html/goalscorers.html

We've always had problems with goalscorers from other areas of the pitch, since speed we've very rarely had a regular scoring mid. Cabaye and hba should be scoring a lot more goals than they do, while shit set pieces rule out centre backs grabbing goals.

Cisse doesn't help things, if he could finish half of his chances we'd be in the top half of the table, as it is he's not clinical enough to rely on as our main goalscorer. I think we'd get more goals out of Carroll than Cisse.

Whichever league we are in next season we need to go out and buy players who score goals.

We are desperately short of goal scorers throughout the whole team. There is not one regular goal scorer in our defence or midfield. It doesn't appear to be a criteria for the players we bring in. Before joining Newcastle United Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Gutierrez and Sissoko didn't have track records for being regular goal scorers. Santon is the only defender to score for us this season.

The fact that Demba Ba is still our top Premier League goal scorer even though he left in January speaks volumes.

http://www.nufc.com/2012-13html/goalscorers.html

And Santon scored his goal whilst playing in midfield.

If we stay in the league I hope we pursue a goalscoring winger a la Remy and a central defending beast who can maybe score a goal or two on corners.

Gouffran isn't good enough to play winger a whole season and I'd believe with his speed would be more effective off the bench. We need someone like Remy who can play wide and up top and score goals.

Posted in the Pardew thread yesterday, was just combing over the ashes of this hideous season and the goalscoring stats from the last 10 games jumped out at me: 1101110100.

Absolutely fucking woeful. We've actually only scored more than once in 13 games this season, out of a total of 52 (25%).

To add a bit of context, last time we went down this stat was 11 in 42 (26.2%) and in 2006/07 when Roeder said "it's been a dreadful season" it was 20 in 57 (35.1%).

Blindingly obvious that we're shit by just watching us, but stuff like this really hits home just how disgraceful it has been.

Doesn't matter how many goalscoring midfielders you have when they're not allowed to get into the box. Sometimes I watch teams like West Brom and there's a queue of five or six striped shirts waiting in the area for the ball to drop. We tend to have Cisse standing on his own amongst half a dozen defenders.

We are a small technical side but we don't play like it so we struggle for goals.

Goals wise. Cabaye probably does "enough". However nobody else does in midield. HBA is always injured. Marveaux is shot shy. Sissoko I just don't know who he is. And the others can't attack.

In defence. The set-pieces are horrible and only really Saylor is good in the air.

Doesn't matter how many goalscoring midfielders you have when they're not allowed to get into the box. Sometimes I watch teams like West Brom and there's a queue of five or six striped shirts waiting in the area for the ball to drop. We tend to have Cisse standing on his own amongst half a dozen defenders.

I do agree with this. Second half against Wham, we didn't look to get men forward at all. Just invite pressure. Alan Pardew.

Got to go back to February for the last time one of our midfielders scored from open play. Not good enough at all. I see midfielders scoring in practically every game I see.

Got to go back to February for the last time one of our midfielders scored from open play. Not good enough at all. I see midfielders scoring in practically every game I see.

That's more down to the fact that we don't even have our striker coming into the box. Our attacking play is ridiculous. Cabaye, Sissoko, Ben Arfa have all shown they can score. If we can build on that first half performance against WHam we can definitely take 3p on Sunday.

I agree with you though, I think it's more down to our tactics though. :thup:

I don't want to have to keep repeating myself but this is because we never have any more than one player in the box at any one time.

Why do you think only Ba scored goals till he left? becuase he was the only one consistently in the box till then.

Same with Cisse now, get more players forward when we attack to support the striker in question and we will see more goals from through out the team.

With that said it should be a priority to get a winger with a goal threat and another striker, but a lot of our lack of goalscoring could be solved under a more positive manager who allows his players to get forward and not shackle them like Pardew does.

"Goalscorers" seems to, IMO, incorrectly characterise the issue as being one of personnel - this isn't the case. With the exception of Jonas and Tiote, those who frequently or occasionally occupy the midfield and forward spots (Cabaye, HBA, Cisse, Gouffran, Sissoko, Marv etc) can all strike a ball decently with a degree of consistency. As can Santon and Debuchy from the full-back slots (not sure yet about Haidara).

It's just about having other players ahead of the ball (and level or beyond Cisse) from time to time. Unfortunately, this just does not happen with us. Cisse is isolated and alone, and has been snatching at chances.

I agree that part of the problem is that our players don't get into the box but it is also true that most of our players don't have a track record of being regular goal scorers. Think of Nolan for example. He obviously has a track record for scoring goals and he plays in midfield. He scores from open play too, he doesn't rely on set pieces. None of our midfield are known for goals.

Speaking of set pieces, we don't have anyone who regularly scores from free kicks. Think of the days of Solano, Shearer and Robert over free kicks and compare it to how dangerous we are from free kicks now. We rarely score from free kicks. We don't score from corners. We rely on one striker to score the majority of our goals. When Cisse doesn't score we are really searching for someone else to come up with a goal. Shola doesn't deserve the title of "striker" based on his goal return. Other teams have defenders who have better goal scoring records.

We rarely have any shots from outside the penalty area either.

Posted in the Pardew thread yesterday, was just combing over the ashes of this hideous season and the goalscoring stats from the last 10 games jumped out at me: 1101110100.

Absolutely f***ing woeful. We've actually only scored more than once in 13 games this season, out of a total of 52 (25%).

To add a bit of context, last time we went down this stat was 11 in 42 (26.2%) and in 2006/07 when Roeder said "it's been a dreadful season" it was 20 in 57 (35.1%).

Blindingly obvious that we're s*** by just watching us, but stuff like this really hits home just how disgraceful it has been.

Good god. That reads like binary code.

It would help if more than 3 players would cross the half way line in any attack, our attacking play is, sideways, sideways, back, sideways, back, hoof to Cisse, defend and repeat.

I agree that part of the problem is that our players don't get into the box but it is also true that most of our players don't have a track record of being regular goal scorers. Think of Nolan for example. He obviously has a track record for scoring goals and he plays in midfield. He scores from open play too, he doesn't rely on set pieces. None of our midfield are known for goals.

Speaking of set pieces, we don't have anyone who regularly scores from free kicks. Think of the days of Solano, Shearer and Robert over free kicks and compare it to how dangerous we are from free kicks now. We rarely score from free kicks. We don't score from corners. We rely on one striker to score the majority of our goals. When Cisse doesn't score we are really searching for someone else to come up with a goal. Shola doesn't deserve the title of "striker" based on his goal return. Other teams have defenders who have better goal scoring records.

While i can't really argue with the rest of it and i do think we need 2 or 3 more players who has goals in them.... winger and attacking midfielder who can score 10 each and a striker who can replace Ba's goals and not effect Cisse's performances.

I do think the part bolded is another example of not getting enough players forward when in possession, they are just not in the position to take shots at goal often enough as they are 40-50 yards from goal sadly.

I've thought for ages that we mustn't be practicing shots from distance in training. Our long range efforts are absolutely dire and have been getting progressively worse. Ben Arfa and Cabaye, who both looked lethal from distance two years ago, have noticeably regressed.

We should always target having at least 6 players in the first 11 that have track records of scoring 5+ goals per season.

Being good strikers of the ball like Beren says is only half of what's required. Marveaux and Ben Arfa are two good examples of players who strike the ball brilliantly without having scored more than 30 or so at club level in their entire careers.

• 5 years later...

2019 remix!

https://www.nufc.com/2018-19html/goalscorers.html

Premiership goals scored so far this season: -

Salomon Rondon with 9

Ayoze Perez with 6 (edited from 5 which was wrong)

Ciaran Clark with 3

Fabian Schar with 3

Joselu with 2

Matt Ritchie with 2

Sean Longstaff, Isaac Hayden, Kenedy, Yoshinori Muto and DeAndre Yedlin with 1 each

1 Own Goal scored for NUFC

It's a damn shame goal scorers cost big money as NUFC could really do with some. Our centre backs outscore our midfielders. NUFC don't even own our top scorer.