West Ham's corners.

Optimistic Nut

Just watching it, and Tevez's has scuffed 2 corners where he's failed to beat the first man...but both times West Ham stuck someone in front of the defender, dummied it, and won another corner off the first defender.

Why the f*ck does no one else do this? Makes sense.

The next thing you know a team will leave their fastest three players ont he half way line when defending corners.

So say for us, with everyone fit  :roll: leaving Dyer, Martins and Owen on the halfway line. How many players would the attacking side put in our box ? They would not feel comfortable with only one against one, probably require 4 minimum, or more likely 5. That would leave 5 outfield players to attack, o5ne taking the corner, so 4 for the box.

Suddenly rather than a packed box, with allsorts of bodies deflecting shots, you'd have 4 attackers and 7 of our defenders looking after them.

Only team I've seen do it consistenelty was Portugal a couple of years ago, left Figo, Ronaldo and Pauletta up, opponents were sh*tting themselves

The next thing you know a team will leave their fastest three players ont he half way line when defending corners.

So say for us, with everyone fit  :roll: leaving Dyer, Martins and Owen on the halfway line. How many players would the attacking side put in our box ? They would not feel comfortable with only one against one, probably require 4 minimum, or more likely 5. That would leave 5 outfield players to attack, o5ne taking the corner, so 4 for the box.

Suddenly rather than a packed box, with allsorts of bodies deflecting shots, you'd have 4 attackers and 7 of our defenders looking after them.

Only team I've seen do it consistenelty was Portugal a couple of years ago, left Figo, Ronaldo and Pauletta up, opponents were sh*tting themselves

Doesn't Mourinho do something similar? and I wouldn't be scared with the rip roaring pace of Figo and Pauleta like.

Doesn't Mourinho do something similar? and I wouldn't be scared with the rip roaring pace of Figo and Pauleta like.

it was a couple of years ago  :winking:

Great, somebody else has finally realised that about a quarter of all corners fail to beat the first man, and it would actually be somewhat beneficial to put a player in front of the defender to flick the ball on or pass it back. But why do no managers or coaches seem to pick up on this?

Great, somebody else has finally realised that about a quarter of all corners fail to beat the first man, and it would actually be somewhat beneficial to put a player in front of the defender to flick the ball on or pass it back. But why do no managers or coaches seem to pick up on this?

There must be some sort of unwritten rule, people have been banging on about it for years now!

Just a note on defending corners.  When I was at Hampden for the Scotland v France game France employed a tactic when defending corners whereby they left 2 men upfield but they each stood on opposite touchlines to stretch the defenders that Scotland left at the back.  It never came to anything but I thought it was quite a clever ploy by Domenech - maybe something that other teams could try out...

As someone mentioned with the corners if you leave attacking players up especially quick ones defenders must also drop back. Even at the level of football I play we often leave 2 upfront and we have at least 3 defenders marking and still have enough to cover the corner. At times with us we clear the ball straight back to the attacking team and the have another oppourtunity. It may take a brave manager to leave 3 in attack on corners but I think it could be effective!