The Fantasy/Sci-Fi Novels & Movie thread

Reread these recently and thought it was interesting in the first law trilogy how almost every protagonist is an anti-hero. There really isn't a "heroic" character to be found in the bunch. It almost has the feel of a writing exercise "I'm going to write a fantasy novel with no heroes" - but it is executed so well that it really works.

On 16/06/2021 at 18:09, Miercoles said:

Reread these recently and thought it was interesting in the first law trilogy how almost every protagonist is an anti-hero. There really isn't a "heroic" character to be found in the bunch. It almost has the feel of a writing exercise "I'm going to write a fantasy novel with no heroes" - but it is executed so well that it really works.

Fair point, he's almost gone the anti-Martin route where he gets you to root for characters then immediately kills them off :lol:

Sounds like a fair few worthwhile reads in here lately. Haven't found the right combination of time and motivation to read a book in an embarrassingly long time.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Consortium of one said:

Twice, in the past, I've started to read Joe Abercombie's First Law Trilogy and twice I have put it down before finishing the The Blade Itself.  I ordered it for my Kindle and I CANNOT put it down.  

Great stuff.

Gets good alright.

@Miercoles reading Best Served Cold but it's been a bit of a fragmented read, question:

Spoiler

Monza gets rescued and rebuilt by some weird fucker in a dungeon or whatever and she runs away, did I miss her killing him or does he reappear at some stage?  Seemed really odd the whole thing.

1 minute ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

@Miercoles reading Best Served Cold but it's been a bit of a fragmented read, question:

Hide contents

Monza gets rescued and rebuilt by some weird fucker in a dungeon or whatever and she runs away, did I miss her killing him or does he reappear at some stage?  Seemed really odd the whole thing.

If I remember right, that gets referenced again at the end, but I also remember being slightly confused by it. Fragmented is a good description of that one, it has some fun sections though.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

If I remember right, that gets referenced again at the end, but I also remember being slightly confused by it. Fragmented is a good description of that one, it has some fun sections though.

Aye I'm enjoying it like, think she's about to go for 5/7.  Quite a departure from First Law all things told but liking the references to FL without leaning too heavily on it.

Also different question:

Spoiler

Do we ever hear from or about Logen again or is him going over the edge at the end of that trilogy just left that way?

Edited by mrmojorisin75

8 hours ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Aye I'm enjoying it like, think she's about to go for 5/7.  Quite a departure from First Law all things told but liking the references to FL without leaning too heavily on it.

Also different question:

Reveal hidden contents

Do we ever hear from or about Logen again or is him going over the edge at the end of that trilogy just left that way?

Yeah it's fun, I really enjoyed Friendly and the Poisoner in that one.

And yes we do, not in this book though.

Curious what you'll think of the next one, The Heroes, it was my favorite of the whole lot.

7 hours ago, Miercoles said:

Yeah it's fun, I really enjoyed Friendly and the Poisoner in that one.

And yes we do, not in this book though.

Curious what you'll think of the next one, The Heroes, it was my favorite of the whole lot.

Goooooooood

Just now, Froggy said:

Do it. It's solid as fuck.

I'm too far gone man.  Barely remember what happened up to the end of #4 and #5 starts with a load of shite about farmers wandering about in bogs or some bullshit, couldn't get past it.  Just fight fkn demons arseholes.

3 hours ago, Froggy said:

3 weeks until The Desert Prince.

Tell us if it's any good please. 

He'd fully exhausted his material, so I'd be surprised.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask. I really enjoyed the Demon Cycle. It was always going to be incredibly difficult to finish but he tied it up pretty well. 

I'd rather that than the Rothfuss/Martin alternative of no ending at all. :lol:

Anyone recommend any of the 40k/black library/horus heresy books? Just finishing up Night Haunter which I've loved, proper nerd out and fancy giving some others a try but there are so many. 

4 hours ago, TheHoob said:

Anyone recommend any of the 40k/black library/horus heresy books? Just finishing up Night Haunter which I've loved, proper nerd out and fancy giving some others a try but there are so many. 

Anything by Dan Abnett. The Eisenhorn trilogy jumps to mind. 

Best Served Cold was good, canny enough, though I must admit Captain Jack Sparrow was equal parts entertaining and grating.

Without spoiling anything...

Spoiler

Is Shenkt one of the disciples of Bayaz that we saw in First Law or someone else?

8 hours ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Best Served Cold was good, canny enough, though I must admit Captain Jack Sparrow was equal parts entertaining and grating.

Without spoiling anything...

Reveal hidden contents

Is Shenkt one of the disciples of Bayaz that we saw in First Law or someone else?

Spoiler

It's been ages since I've read the books but I think Yoru Sulfur was the Bayaz disciple in the first law trilogy, they are different people.