Is single player dying a death?

La Parka

Call me old fashioned but I love a good single player game.

Online experience for me is usually ruined by children or griefing closely followed by exploits and glitchers and ending the party in racial slurs and sexism.

There of course is a place for multiplayer, indeed Goldeneye brought to my attention how fun it can be to shoot a close friend in the face! But taking that online just doesn't cut it for me.

I'm a recovered WoW addict. 3 Years ago I spent 80% of my waking life in an alternative world. It was horrible for my health, my social life and my sanity.

I know now to avoid almost all of the FPS genre, as the single player is tacked on and nasty.

Luckily some developers are keen to keep single player experiences alive and this is something I credit them for. But when Bethesda are looking to make SKYRIM MMORPG then you know it could be bleak for the single player market.

I don't mind playing multi as much as some people do on here, it's fun to dip into a game occasionally and play with friends, the N-O gaming sessions back in the day were great. But 80% of my time is spent playing SP.. so I don't think it's dying at all. Some games have suffered from being too focused on multi but there's still plenty of great SP games out there.

I think single player is all about story, immersion and what not. Mass effect, bioshock, red dead redemption. I don't think that sort of single player is going to disappear .

I reckon the problem is that it's harder to monetise single player, no subscription.

I think so. Just look at CoD. They couldn't give two s***s about SP and it shows. It's online where the money is.

They don't have to give two shits about SP because everyone buys it for MP. I don't think COD is any indication on the rest of the industry. There's not many franchises that can challenge COD and I feel like companies know that now. It's easier to make a SP game that sells well than MP game and challenge COD. I guess Battlefield is the only franchise that can challenge them and that's why there were so many big money FPS's that flopped hard.

I just can't see a future where SP games wouldn't play a significant role.

Nah it's not, there's a whole host of fantastic single player games out there. One thing I'll say though, I tend to enjoy SP games more in an Xbox Live party with a couple of friends playing SP games, as it's more social. As long as it's not too loud of course.

It's not dying as an art form, it's being killed by business men that hate/d video games looking at that CoD money and trying desperately to get in on it.

As soon as someone makes a hugely successful movie based on a SP experience, they'll see all that money and try and chase that with incredible immersive SP experiences, the useless unimaginative following little fuckwits.

It's not dying as an art form, it's being killed by business men that hate/d video games looking at that CoD money and trying desperately to get in on it.

As soon as someone makes a hugely successful movie based on a SP experience, they'll see all that money and try and chase that with incredible immersive SP experiences, the useless unimaginative following little fuckwits.

It's not being killed at all man.

How many CoD influenced 'cash ins' were there last year? or even this year so far? Just looking at the best games of 2012/2013 lists and there's some brilliant single player titles on there. Everyone gave up trying to copy CoD years ago.

I don't know if it's being "killed" as such - single player games still exist in abundance and will continue to do so. The quality has dropped dramatically over the past few years though and I don't think it's any coincidence that that has happened since the multiplayer explosion. Developers can now deliver a half-arsed single player campaign and still have widespread success as long as the game's multiplayer catches on... Bit of a shame really, I find multiplayer pretty hollow and would prefer it to be secondary to a solid single player mode, but gaming is a mainstream activity now and casual gamers don't really share the same thought process but are unfortunately in the majority...

Guest elbee909

I read the thread title as a sort of proverb. Like, if a tree falls in the woods and nobody hears, did it make a sound? Just put a comma after "dying" to make it clearer.

It makes a sound if I say it does.

Guest Open_C

And conversely, I only ever play single player; there are still plenty of games around for both types of player, it's just that most of them are shit at the minute :dontknow:

Maybe the title should have been is the "art" of single player dying a death?

It seems that we don't see as many genuinely creative games as I get older.

I assume it is because the games are in the hands of the money men now, and the developers have their hands tied quite tightly to avoid them taking too many risks.

You're just not playing the right games. There are plenty of great solo experiences out there, they just don't grab headlines like the big selling multiplayer focused games (i.e. FIFA/COD/Battlefield etc). The last few years have seen an indie game boom, with loads of great ideas coming to the fore, and some cracking games being released on Steam, XBLA, and PSN. If you look beyond the charts, you'll still find plenty of great, creative games.

I wouldn't say that it's dying a death but it's definitely being throttled.

What were great single player experiences such as Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed and (rumoured) Arkham Origins are having multiplayer online shoehorned into them at cost to the single player.

I wouldn't say that it's dying a death but it's definitely being throttled.

What were great single player experiences such as Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed and (rumoured) Arkham Origins are having multiplayer online shoehorned into them at cost to the single player.

This is exactly what I am getting at. Thanks Spider for putting into words what I can't! lol!