Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

I haven't seen enough to comment.... i do agree with this though.

Mark Douglas ‏@MsiDouglas 14m

Intrigued by replies. A lot asking about Santon. Surely the position should go to the player performing better? If that's Dummett so be it

Mark Douglas ‏@MsiDouglas 13m

Think that was the problem last year. Too many knew they'd be starting regardless of performances. That's never good.

IMO if he's good enough, he's old enough. Full back however is one of the most sensitive positions to throw an inexperienced lad in the deep end. As has been said though, some youngsters actually thrive on the responsibility. Would be wonderful is he was one of those.

http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/articles/13015/referees-told-to-respect-premier-league-brand/

Anyway, moving on, last week I met up with a prospective candidate who is interested in becoming our “Secret Referee”. This is a guy who has refereed all the greats and, to be honest, he had me hanging on his every anecdote. But it was his throwaway story about Scudamore that had me intrigued and not just because I’d already chosen to include him in this column.

The ref told me that during a Premier League meeting of top referees, Scudamore had finished off by saying: “And, remember, you’re not in a sport, you are part of the entertainment business. We don’t want our top players being sent off every week because it’s bad for the brand. We want them on the pitch as much as possible.”

After I’d picked my jaw up off the table, I had a good think about that remark. I’m sure that it was most likely meant as a rallying cry to encourage referees to let the game flow but, my goodness, it still sails very close to the wind and probably explains why Wayne Rooney wasn’t sent off against a team that I once played after a two-footed challenge on our right back.

As if going to Old Trafford wasn’t hard enough, anyway; now you know what the Premier League’s smaller teams are also up against when they have to play there.

http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/articles/13015/referees-told-to-respect-premier-league-brand/

Anyway, moving on, last week I met up with a prospective candidate who is interested in becoming our “Secret Referee”. This is a guy who has refereed all the greats and, to be honest, he had me hanging on his every anecdote. But it was his throwaway story about Scudamore that had me intrigued and not just because I’d already chosen to include him in this column.

The ref told me that during a Premier League meeting of top referees, Scudamore had finished off by saying: “And, remember, you’re not in a sport, you are part of the entertainment business. We don’t want our top players being sent off every week because it’s bad for the brand. We want them on the pitch as much as possible.”

After I’d picked my jaw up off the table, I had a good think about that remark. I’m sure that it was most likely meant as a rallying cry to encourage referees to let the game flow but, my goodness, it still sails very close to the wind and probably explains why Wayne Rooney wasn’t sent off against a team that I once played after a two-footed challenge on our right back.

As if going to Old Trafford wasn’t hard enough, anyway; now you know what the Premier League’s smaller teams are also up against when they have to play there.

It's a shame Sky won't do one of its reports in to this.  :dave:

Pretty sure OCK mentioned similar before, that referees are told to manage matches as an event and as such are 'strongly encouraged' to keep the entertaining players on the pitch.

Found it:

Nice bit of insight from a Referee, who has been refing the games at SJP this week.

They are told to manage an event, when it comes to refing a Premier League game, while they can simply ref a game when it comes to the Football League. He went on to explain that people want to see the players on the field, and that there's too much money involved to simply send off a Wayne Rooney. He used Oliver and 'Clatts' (Clattenberg) as examples of people he's talked to, and issues they've had when doing Premier League games.

I thought it was interesting, and the ref seemed to agree that there was a lot of 'favour' towards the bigger teams, certainly the ones that 'bring the money in' for the Premier League. If a Ref is deemed to have spoiled the 'event', he'll find it hard to get a top game again in the future.

He went on to mention that Ian Holloway wasn't very respective towards referees, and that various clubs have hounded the 4th official throughout the season in regards to Tiote's persistant fouling, which is the reason he's been booked so many times. "That's his forth foul."

It's a shame Sky won't do one of its reports in to this.  :dave:

Have a read of this book:

http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1348442662l/7259611.jpg

Your man basically destroys the illusion that referees are impartial. Certainly in the NBA, but it gets you thinking about football too.

This is a good list of Eamon Dunphy's best quotes http://www.thescore.ie/17-favourite-eamon-dunphy-quotes-1020581-Aug2013/. My personal favourites are 6 and 16. For those of you who don't know Dunphy is a pundit for RTE and makes a living out of outlandish statements. It took him until about last year to accept that Cristiano Ronaldo was a good player.

On John Hartson, while analysing a clip of him in action: “That is NOT the arse of a £7million player!”

:lol:

Mightn't even be worthy of a post but I stumbled upon this Euro 2012 preview on YouTube :lol:

Poor Mina, the dude next to her has no idea what he's talking about. "Pirlo could get dominated by the Irish boys." ;D