Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/city-hull-change-name-tigeropolis

There could be name changes afoot on Humberside, reports Back of the Net's John Foster...

Kingston-upon-Hull City Council have formally moved to change the name of their city to Tigeropolis, following a period of consultation in which it emerged that Hull’s global marketability was being stunted by a “dull name” with a “poor international recognition factor”.

Simon Norman, member of what will soon be known as Tigeropolis City Council, has been a vocal supporter of the change, which he believes will be enough to make his city internationally competitive.

“The name Hull has been holding this city back for too long,” he told reporters. “People hear ‘Hull’ and they think ‘dull’, and ‘hell’, and ‘history’, and ‘William Wilberforce', all of which are frankly boring. They certainly don’t think ‘top four city’.

“But Tigeropolis shouts ‘confident’, and ‘dangerous’, and ‘apex predator’, which are things everyone likes being called. I know I do.”

However, there has been grassroots opposition to the change from residents of Hull, many of whom appear unwilling to undo a thousand years of history and begin referring to themselves as Tigerpolitans.

The “My Hull Dead Hands” campaign has held a number of demonstrations calling on Norman and his colleagues to abandon their proposals, claiming it is not in Hull’s best interests to try and compete with excitingly-named foreign places like Chihuahua and Buffalo.

But Norman has given their objections short shrift.

“Just think how much more successful Philip Larkin would have been had he worked not at the University of Hull, but at Tigeropolis College,” he retorted. “And if he hadn’t called himself a poet, but a 'words panther'. And if his middle name hadn’t been Arthur, but Snow Leopard. Then he might be worth supporting.”

The case continues.

:spit: (mainly at words panther)

Can someone link me with the picture of a African kid wearing a Sunderland shirt iirc he is holding a bit of cardboard in his hands.

Cheers

That post goes so well with your avatar  :lol:

He doesn't mean the one of Jozy Altidore with the SMB sign, does he?

Guest bimpy474

Got asked to participate in a Dad's money raising game next Saturday (2pm kick off), Dad's of two kids teams playing another of the same, i said yes no problem. Thinking i was being asked to ref it. The fuckers have me playing in it, in central midfield of all places. I'm nearly 43 ffs. My knee is fucked and i still said yes :lol:

Only dawned on me it was my youngest boys teams Dad's, against my eldest boys teams Dad's. I've got to play a half for each. I think their trying to kill me :lol:

Guest bimpy474

I can hear the hamstrings twanging from here with all those dads running around thinking they are 20 again

One of the kids in my lads team Indian and his Dad was ruled out at first as he was a doctor (dont get the reasoning myself), i said get him as we might need him. 17 fat blokes and 5 young Dads isn't going to go well :lol:

Got asked to participate in a Dad's money raising game next Saturday (2pm kick off), Dad's of two kids teams playing another of the same, i said yes no problem. Thinking i was being asked to ref it. The fuckers have me playing in it, in central midfield of all places. I'm nearly 43 ffs. My knee is fucked and i still said yes :lol:

Only dawned on me it was my youngest boys teams Dad's, against my eldest boys teams Dad's. I've got to play a half for each. I think their trying to kill me :lol:

CM is just the place though, pulling the strings. I swear John Barnes didn't move from the centre circle for 10 years and everyone thought he was brilliant. Keep your whistle and cards in your pocket and baffle the opposition by blowing up randomly and sending them off. :lol: I would, but I have no shame.

Saw in a Norwegian newspaper that UEFA are looking into changing the "red card and penalty"-rule.

Can't find it anywhere else, though anyone heard about this?

Hope so. The double punishment kills so many games.

Penalty, straight red and the subsequent 3-game ban is far too harsh, it's always wound me up. Hopefully they amend this.

depending on the reasons why for the red (ie a "professional foul" vs hacking down the opponent violently) its a 1 game ban not 3. I don't like the rule but I'd wonder how many more incidents like Suarez in the world cup you'd get if it was just a pen, I'm cynical enough to believe some players would take their chances and blatantly try to stop the goal and take their chances with a pen.

In our local youth soccer association here TX (approx 250 youth teams from u4 up) we have an annual coaches games....always some injuries due to pulls/sprains. We even dropped the field size demo from the full size U11 to the mid size U9 so that there would be less running.

Always a fun night though

Penalty, straight red and the subsequent 3-game ban is far too harsh, it's always wound me up. Hopefully they amend this.

depending on the reasons why for the red (ie a "professional foul" vs hacking down the opponent violently) its a 1 game ban not 3. I don't like the rule but I'd wonder how many more incidents like Suarez in the world cup you'd get if it was just a pen, I'm cynical enough to believe some players would take their chances and blatantly try to stop the goal and take their chances with a pen.

Ahhh yes, forgot about that. Until it happened to Yanga-Mbiwa I'd genuinely never heard of the rule.