using sd card for extra memory

Belfast Boy

My girls both have samsung Galaxy Aces which have ridiculously low internal memory. They both have a 2GB sd card in and I know there is a way to partition this to use as extra memory for running apps etc but I'll be damned if I can work out how. I have tried following the links google throws up like this http://android.sc/increase-samsung-galaxy-ace-internal-memory/ but maybe its just me, there is not enough detail or step by step instructions how to do it. If anyone can provide me with an idiot prove guide it would be much appreciated.

I did the same with my lass's Galaxy Ace, although there were still quite a lot of apps that needed to be on internal memory and it made it a bit less stable. I'll see if I can dig out how I did it when I get in, involved rooting the phone and installing an SD link manager.

Guest Open_C

Not related to the thread (sorry), but if I root it with that guide, can I then remove all the shitty stock samsung apps that are taking up space and never being used?  Or am I stuck with them forever?

OK so I have done what you said Bluestar and now have Link2SD running. What do I do now?

It is failing to move things to the SD card saying it could not obtain root access

OK ran it again and I see the installation of the zip file aborts

Guest Open_C

Shite, mine is on 2.3.6

Thank you anyway, I'm sure there'll be a way to do it on that site :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Open_C

Rooted it and have happily spent the morning removing hopeless Samsung apps \o/

If I was to just remove Samsung Home (I'm not going to, just interested), would it (a) revert to stock Gingerbread or (b) be fucked?

How do you go about putting a custom rom on there?  Would be intrigued to see how well Jellybean runs on a Galaxy Ace tbh (I don't use it for anything but texts, calls and mapping so I don't need blazing quickness, but the nicer UI would be good).  I assume this stuff is legit to talk about on here since Android is a free OS, but if this is a dodgy subject then I'll stop asking :lol: