Steve Harper's Testimonial - Newcastle XI V Arsenal 19/05/2013 - 4pm KO (on Sky)

Fenham Mag

If Chelsea draw 0-0 and Arsenal win 2-1 (or 1-1 and 3-2 etc.) on Sunday that means that the two clubs will be level on points, goal difference and goals scored, which would mean there would have to be a play off game for third sport, at a neutral venue.

And apparently it cant be fit in because Chelsea are off to America and then theres internationals. Superb by the FA :thup:

If Ashley is there (he should be) and we lose convincingly (we should do), I think the pendulum has to swing in the Pardew sacking race.

Guest Roger Kint

Why doesn't it just go down to a head to head? like in spain where they use that even ahead of goal difference.

They were going to do it in 1996 with us until we threw it away.

Why doesn't it just go down to a head to head? like in spain where they use that even ahead of goal difference.

Not quite, ours was to go to a play-off:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/67617000/jpg/_67617161_premier_league_ticket.jpg

Guest Roger Kint

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/67617000/jpg/_67617161_premier_league_ticket.jpg

Eh, what do you think we were talking about? :lol:

Head-to-head GD would make sense after goals scored or even overall GD.

Also, the FA should require clubs to leave the weekend after the final day for shit like this. What if it was for the title or relegation?

Play off in 1996??? I cannot remember anything about that?

Harper will get a class ovation from the fans when he runs towards the goal for the last time

Yup, hopefully towards the Gallowgate at the start of the game, solely because I want to be part of it :D

I think back to that Chelsea game where the french lads made their home debuts. Probably the best overall performance from us this season and we were even missing a few, Ben Arfa, Tiote, Maveaux(sub).

Just goes to show we can put in a performance when we're up for it although a lot of it could be put down to Sissoko and Gouffran giving us a big breath of fresh air.

I think back to that Chelsea game where the french lads made their home debuts. Probably the best overall performance from us this season and we were even missing a few, Ben Arfa, Tiote, Maveaux(sub).

Just goes to show we can put in a performance when we're up for it although a lot of it could be put down to Sissoko and Gouffran giving us a big breath of fresh air.

This. I think Coloccini makes a massive difference to the defence. Plus, confidence plays a part. Chelsea were on a bad run at that time and we had the momentum of some new signings. As soon as we lose a game, it seems we cant get out of the rut. We need 2 draws before another win.

This. I think Coloccini makes a massive difference to the defence. Plus, confidence plays a part. Chelsea were on a bad run at that time and we had the momentum of some new signings. As soon as we lose a game, it seems we cant get out of the rut. We need 2 draws before another win.

The mental side of the game is absolutely massive, which is why a negative spiral is so hard to stop and a positive trend is easy to keep going.

Last season we would always bounce back from a couple of defeats and we never let it become a rut. For me the most interesting thing would be to find out what the factors are in that difference.

The mental side of the game is absolutely massive, which is why a negative spiral is so hard to stop and a positive trend is easy to keep going.

Last season we would always bounce back from a couple of defeats and we never let it become a rut. For me the most interesting thing would be to find out what the factors are in that difference.

Perhaps the players were burned out by the extra travel and games, plus most of our stars played in Summer tournaments. I think playing in the euros really took it out of Cabaye.

Perhaps the players were burned out by the extra travel and games, plus most of our stars played in Summer tournaments. I think playing in the euros really took it out of Cabaye.

I think there is a lot of truth in that, and the lack of preparation time. I just didn't want to post it because I might get slammed for sympathising.

I think there is a lot of truth in that, and the lack of preparation time. I just didn't want to post it because I might get slammed for sympathising.

Think it's valid for the first half of the season. We were starting games with Fergie, Sammy, Tarvenier, Bigi. However we increased the squad with 5 senior players in January. Are we sitting 8th in the ladder from Making the signings to now? If that's true, I suppose it's valid.