Chronicle end of season survey

TRC

Love the response about him not becoming a bad manager overnight, as though the rest of his career doesn't strongly suggest that last season was in fact the one-off.

“I believe he is a good manager who can guide us back to top-eight finishes.

“He was let down this season by fringe players not being good enough to produce when needed i.e. against Brighton.”

Brian Langan, Newcastle

Erm...

Love the response about him not becoming a bad manager overnight, as though the rest of his career doesn't strongly suggest that last season was in fact the one-off.

He seems a bit prone to wild swings, right? I remember his first season with West Ham in the PL, and they looked great. Fuck, even Marlon Harewood and Reo-Coker looked like decent footballers :lol:

And then he got sacked in the next season after what I think was their worst defeat streak since the war or something like that.

He seems a bit prone to wild swings, right? I remember his first season with West Ham in the PL, and they looked great. Fuck, even Marlon Harewood and Reo-Coker looked like decent footballers :lol:

And then he got sacked in the next season after what I think was their worst defeat streak since the war or something like that.

True, the question is what happens when he doesn't get sacked. Looks like we're about to find out.

Can't adapt.

Not sure the rest of his career does suggest that, does it?

His good seasons still strongly outnumber the bad over the last 13 years.

Are these results fiddled? Or do we really have that many clueless fans? Maybe it's just the fact that I am removed from england now or the thinking football fan generally found here is just a tiny minority to the oblivious, whipped puppets society and the government has created.  That said any football fan around me here that doesn't think pardew should have been binned.

Quite shocked would be an understatement of these results!

Are these results fiddled? Or do we really have that many clueless fans? Maybe it's just the fact that I am removed from england now or the thinking football fan generally found here is just a tiny minority to the oblivious, whipped puppets society and the government has created.  That said any football fan around me here that doesn't think pardew should have been binned.

Quite shocked would be an understatement of these results!

You would expect more than 50% of our fans to want him sacked now?

What else has he achieved to suggest that 5th place in the top flight was more than a highly unusual peak, and why weren't other clubs aware of this when he was unemployed after being dismissed by a third tier club and evidently willing to work for a pittance?

Based on the fact I havent met or spoken to anyone that would give him more time, including fans from other clubs who are usually the voice of reason in our own hissy it episodes, yes. But like I say maybe my perception is skewed and not helped by my bias.

What else has he achieved to suggest that 5th place in the top flight was more than a highly unusual peak, and why weren't other clubs aware of this when he was unemployed after being dismissed by a third tier club and evidently willing to work for a pittance?

Obviously the answer to that question is that he hasn't really achieved anything, certainly nothing better than 5th place in the PL. But that's not proof that he's not capable of learning and doing better than he has before. I would accept that he's very unlikely to finish higher than 5th again any time soon, but then that applies to us as a club regardless of manager.

Met a Newcastle fan on a night out the other night. He was absolutely convinced that Pardew is a good manager who was being let down by the players. Used the whole "but... 5th!" argument. I heartily disagreed, but I think it shows that the overriding opinion on here isn't necessarily shared by most, unfortunately.

Obviously the answer to that question is that he hasn't really achieved anything, certainly nothing better than 5th place in the PL. But that's not proof that he's not capable of learning and doing better than he has before. I would accept that he's very unlikely to finish higher than 5th again any time soon, but then that applies to us as a club regardless of manager.

Well that was my point. By saying 'he hasn't become a bad manager overnight' to me implies that he was already a good manager, and that can only be based on finishing 5th with us. As ever the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, I just don't think using by far and away the high mark of his career is an effective argument.

Well that was my point. By saying 'he hasn't become a bad manager overnight' to me implies that he was already a good manager, and that can only be based on finishing 5th with us. As ever the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, I just don't think using by far and away the high mark of his career is an effective argument.

Sure, it's impossible to argue that finishing 5th represents what you would normally expect him to achieve. TBH, his future career depends entirely on how he does next season, especially how he starts it.

Reading.

1st season - Play off final

2nd - Automatic promotion

3rd - Finished 4th

West Ham.

1st - Play off final

2nd - Play off final and Promotion

3rd - FA Cup final

4th - 1st shit season - sacked.

Charlton.

Though initially gave them a kick, was just a write off from start to finish.

Southamton.

1st - Despite 10 point deduction just missed out on playoffs

- Won the football league trophy

2nd - Playing well, but problems with Chairman/staff saw him sacked

Newcastle.

1st - Did ok, nothing more, nothing less.

2nd - Premiership playoffs equivalent (*cough* automatic European spot)

3rd - Went to shit.

4th? - Who the hell knows.

So again, no. The rest of his career does not suggest a good season is a one off, and it is not a foregone conclusion we'll have a shitter by allowing him to enter uncharted territory and stay on.

He has, at every previous club bar Charlton, got his team challenging for/attaining promotion, or getting to a cup final/winning a cup.

Of course, none of us were happy at the time and rightly so, but there was some sort of mad logic there to his initial appointment for us as a potential rough diamond.

That doesn't much change my main concern with him though. Beyond the worrying lack of shape, ideas, or personality shining through on the pitch, I think he struggles massively under pressure.

If we start badly next season, it's unlikely we'll recover and he'll soon be dead in the water.

If have a decent start though, it could turn out pretty well hopefully.

Most of it at a lower level however. When you read previous fan comments from his past clubs they all had the same gripes with him that we do. That for me is the key worry. He has never worked on his failings and judging by his ridiculous 6'4'' comments he isn't going to start any time soon.

Most of it at a lower level however. When you read previous fan comments from his past clubs they all had the same gripes with him that we do. That for me is the key worry. He has never worked on his failings and judging by his ridiculous 6'4'' comments he isn't going to start any time soon.

True. Not so bothered that about the 'lower level' aspect so much, but I share your concerns to a large degree.

It's only fair to say that I still know a fair number of West Ham fans who don't have a problem with him, and even a couple of Charlton supporters who say he wasn't that bad/under different circumstances etc. :lol:

I would guess the internet is in general harsher, though I remember going on KUMB and finding enough positives at the time. At least enough to allow me to give him a bit of a chance iirc after his appointment.