Premier League survival or FA Cup?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wigan fan on Sky tonight (that's the same Wigan Athletic that only entered the Football League in 1978) said she'd sacrifice the FA Cup win to have six points and guarantee Premier League survival. Batshit mental IMO.

Complete fucking no-brainer to me. I'd take relegation to see us win the Cup. Any day.

Anyone disagree?

Guest firetotheworks

Completely disagree.

I would associate the time with being relegated, not winning the cup. I used to think I would take relegation, but I wouldn't now. Portsmouth are an extreme example, with a lot of other factors, but I can't help but look at their scale of achievement and annihilation and wince imagining it happening to us if we went down.

For us, I'd take a cup as I think we'd be a big enough attraction down there to get the players we need to eventually come back. I think if I was a Wigan fan, id take the points. If they go down, Martinez will leave and imo they will just become one of the pack and will struggle to gain promotion again.

Completely disagree.

I would associate the time with being relegated, not winning the cup. I used to think I would take relegation, but I wouldn't now. Portsmouth are an extreme example, with a lot of other factors, but I can't help but look at their scale of achievement and annihilation and wince imagining it happening to us if we went down.

Portsmouth were absolutely fucked financially even before they went down though, it's just about as extreme as example as you can get.

For us, I'd take a cup as I think we'd be a big enough attraction down there to get the players we need to eventually come back. I think if I was a Wigan fan, id take the points. If they go down, Martinez will leave and imo they will just become one of the pack and will struggle to gain promotion again.

I can understand the Wigan lass preferring the 6 points. Once they're gone they're never coming back in my opinion.

Guest firetotheworks

Completely disagree.

Portsmouth were absolutely f***ed financially even before they went down though, it's just about as extreme as example as you can get.

I can't think of another example at all tbf. Wigan, obviously, but it would be the shine being taken off the cup win that would be the deciding factor for me. Especially with the FA cup being before the possible confirmation of going down. If it was the other way around I'd be more inclined, but probably still wouldn't take it.

I can understand the Wigan lass preferring the 6 points. Once they're gone they're never coming back in my opinion.

But they'll always have won the FA Cup. The lass even described it as a 'once in a lifetime' event but would still prefer the points ffs. :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

There is no real point to being in the top-flight these days other than the occassion of it all. I mean finish 5th and you end up in a cup competition the manager can't wait to escape from and forget about the title unless you have someone willing to spend hundreds of millions of players and wages. Plus there is the cost of it all.

A cup win every time.

Guest firetotheworks

My desperation for a cup probably stretches to winning the League Cup and staying up in the last minute thanks to other results.

I'd take that over a top 4 finish.

My desperation for a cup probably stretches to winning the League Cup and staying up in the last minute thanks to other results.

I specifically mentioned the FA Cup because no matter how devalued you consider it these days, the League Cup doesn't have anywhere near the same prestige.

But they'll always have won the FA Cup. The lass even described it as a 'once in a lifetime' event but would still prefer the points ffs. :lol:

I get that but look at how desperate we are for a trophy even though the history books show we've won many pre-dinosaur times. Maybe it's hard to compare since we're not a tiny club like Wigan.

Guest neesy111

They don't judge clubs on being in the top flight for x amount of years.  They judge on trophies.

Can't believe so many people would take (at least) a year in the 2nd flight of football for the sake of the cup. Do people think Wigan will now go down in history as anything other than a shit team who got lucky/had a good cup run? It means fuck all if your team is shit enough to get relegated.

Guest firetotheworks

I specifically mentioned the FA Cup because no matter how devalued you consider it these days, the League Cup doesn't have anywhere near the same prestige.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. It would take something bigger for me to barter with relegation. It would have to be the Champions League, :lol: as daft as that sounds. Or the league ('lol')

Straight choice - Premier League survival. Easily.

Me too, as much as i'd love us to win something. Think of how we'd be viewed by other fans. Would we get more admiration for winning a cup or for being a top flight club. I think of how i view Portsmouth who won the cup recently. once they left the prem' i more or less forgot they existed, before the regular updates on how skint they are.

Don't really care what other fans think of us, surely the ultimate aim is to win stuff, we haven't won anything since well before I was born and winning the FA cup would probably be one of the best days off my life.