Premier League survival or FA Cup?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Unless we are talking a relegation that spells financial disaster and the possible end of our club as we know it, then its a no brainier for me. To all the people who would rather see us stay up, for what end? We are never going to challenge for the league, the best thing our club can hope for is to be winning trophies every now and then.

We have not won a trophy for 44 years. Another 20 or so and we will be talking about a whole generation of fans never seeing us do anything significant. Very surprised by the poll.

http://i.imgur.com/0GQ1rjt.png

Guest firetotheworks

Wouldn't the people that are saying they'd rather win the cup not have it all destroyed as soon as we got relegated?

Winning the cup, by a mile.

This, wouldnt even think about it. Far easier to get promoted than win a cup

I think people are seriously underestimating what it takes to get out of the Championship personally.

The way finishing fourth has become the new "winning something" tells you everything you need to know about English football and what has gone wrong.

Arsenal this evening, for example, not won anything in years, but they can handle that, it's the possibility of getting dragged, screaming and kicking, off the golden financial CL teat they suckle on year after year which really scares them.

That's wrong, really. I wonder what Herbert Chapman would have made of it.

The FA cup isn't that special any more, the Carling Cup (or whatever it is called now) is viewed even lower.

Quite a few don't really like the Europa either and the other two (leave and CL) are very, very unrealistic.

What exactly are we playing for?

I would love to win anything tbh, I have probably had a real interest in Newcastle for something like 23 years now. We have spent the majority of that in the top league, the CL stuff under Robson was fantastic even if we were never going to win it, we had some decent runs in the UEFA/Europa which I also thoroughly enjoyed but I would absolutely love to win something now!

The 'big' teams that drop and never really return are normally financially fucked in some way or another, Middlesbrough are probably the wealthiest but even then isn't it just Gibson funding them and despite him having a few quid he is far from an oil rich Russian or Arab prince

edit - apparently his personal wealth is around £165m which is bugger all really in these times of football club owners.

Wouldn't the people that are saying they'd rather win the cup not have it all destroyed as soon as we got relegated?

Not really, I'm that fed up with never having anything to truly celebrate.  If I could get a ticket for the final it's a no-brainer.

The FA cup isn't that special any more, the Carling Cup (or whatever it is called now) is viewed even lower.

It's a self fulfilling prophecy, though.

The CL becomes more and more important financially, so stuff like actually winning things becomes less so. Once the financial aspect of winning trophies is diminiished, the importance of playing in the CL grows.

Guest firetotheworks

Not really, I'm that fed up with never having anything to truly celebrate.  If I could get a ticket for the final it's a non-brainer.

I reckon I'd enjoy winning the cup for 3 days. Not that I'd know for sure like. :lol:

Unless we are talking a relegation that spells financial disaster and the possible end of our club as we know it, then its a no brainier for me. To all the people who would rather see us stay up, for what end? We are never going to challenge for the league, the best thing our club can hope for is to be winning trophies every now and then.

We have not won a trophy for 44 years. Another 20 or so and we will be talking about a whole generation of fans never seeing us do anything significant. Very surprised by the poll.

I know I am obviously missing something, but wtf is that? :lol:

Guest neesy111

I want to see my team achieve success.  The only way we are going to do that is via winning a cup.

Voted cup.

Same reasons as most on here. We will never win the league title again, imo. Not in my lifetime anyway. 4th is the new "holy grail"...how sad.

Have to say I had to think hard about it as well,  maybe an indictement on how far our priorities and expectations have been allowed to shift.

I hate the way that the FA cup and the UEFA cup have been devalued. Real competitions and real history consigned to the trash or so debased that they have become nothing more than nuisances. If the ruling bodies of English and European football could do just one thing, for me it would be to redress the insane imbalance of the CL and restore some pride to other cup competitions. IMO this would add too and not detract from the overall standard of football in European leagues.

The march to a "Super league" is gathering pace imho...god what a depressing thought.

Manure et al v Real Madrid et al........forever......repeatedly...ugh.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

I think that number of relegations( or years spent in a top division) are just as important as trophies  . If you include the financial implications from relegation, player exodus and banter from opposition fans it's clearly not worth it. And during an uninterrupted 10-15 year stay in a top division most teams will have a chance to win a trophy

Birmingham won a cup back in 2010 (albeit League Cup)

but I see don't seem them as more successful than a premier league club because of it, I see them as a crap club in second flight.

As much as I hate our crap cup runs, I'd take survival over a cup.

but I see don't seem them as more successful than a premier league club because of it, I see them as a crap club in second flight.

Summed up perfectly.

I know I am obviously missing something, but wtf is that? :lol:

Cajuns chicken dinner.

I think that number of relegations( or years spent in a top division) are just as important as trophies  . If you include the financial implications from relegation, player exodus and banter from opposition fans it's clearly not worth it. And during an uninterrupted 10-15 year stay in a top division most teams will have a chance to win a trophy

Most teams who win trophies are at the very top, the others have dropped down not long after and not exactly been ever-presents, recently anyway.

FA Cup

Wigan

Chelsea

Man City

Chelsea

Chelsea

Portsmouth

Chelsea

Liverpool

Arsenal

Man U

Arsenal

Arsenal

Liverpool

Football League Cup

Swansea

Liverpool

Birmingham

Man U

Man U

Tottenham

Chelsea

Man U

Chelsea

Middlebrough

Liverpool

Blackburn

Liverpool

So you're more bothered about how the club appears to others than the glory of actually winning something? What the fuck?

So you're more bothered about how the club appears to others than the glory of actually winning something? What the fuck?

I'd rather stay in the Prem and have a chance of winning it each season rather than win it once and it take years to have another chance due to being relegated and losing most of our core players.  It's not a given we'd come straight back up like we did last time. If we want to compete we have to stay in the Prem.  it's more important for the club on the whole for us to stay in the Prem than win a single cup.

Guest firetotheworks

Look at the Wigan fan's faces man. :lol: Are you honestly saying you'd take 3 days of happiness to then going onto to be absolutely gutted for at least a year?

Chance of winning what? The league?!

A cup.

So you wouldn't want to win a cup because staying up gives us a better chance of winning a cup? :lol:

It's a straight choice, man. :huff: