Premier League survival or FA Cup?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chance of winning what? The league?!

A cup.

So you wouldn't want to win a cup because staying up gives us a better chance of winning a cup? :lol:

It's a straight choice, man. :huff:

Of course I want to win a cup.  I want to see our club win silverware, I just don't want it to come at the cost of Premier League survival (the way you framed your original scenario).

"Grandad, were you there the day Newcastle scraped a victory at QPR and managed to stay in the Premier League?"

"Grandad, were you at the Cup Final when we won our first trophy in 58 years?"

I know which question I would rather be answering.

If we stay up and retain our players we'd have a chance of winning q cup in the next few years.

Whereas if we win a cup but go down that's probably it, we may not be lucky as to bounce straight back up.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

I think that number of relegations( or years spent in a top division) are just as important as trophies  . If you include the financial implications from relegation, player exodus and banter from opposition fans it's clearly not worth it. And during an uninterrupted 10-15 year stay in a top division most teams will have a chance to win a trophy

Most teams who win trophies are at the very top, the others have dropped down not long after and not exactly been ever-presents, recently anyway.

FA Cup

Wigan

Chelsea

Man City

Chelsea

Chelsea

Portsmouth

Chelsea

Liverpool

Arsenal

Man U

Arsenal

Arsenal

Liverpool

Football League Cup

Swansea

Liverpool

Birmingham

Man U

Man U

Tottenham

Chelsea

Man U

Chelsea

Middlebrough

Liverpool

Blackburn

Liverpool

I actually meant reaching a final cos there's also the element of luck involved. If you include finalists of the last 20 years in both cup competitions and europe there's much more diversity:

utd,city,chelsea, arsenal,spurs,everton,liverpool,swansea,west ham,southampton,stoke,us,fulham, villa,wigan

that's 15/20

"Grandad, were you there the day Newcastle scraped a victory at QPR and managed to stay in the Premier League?"

"Grandad, were you there the day played their last ever game in the Premier League? I know it was 60 years ago, but it must've been swell, the Northern Conference is fucking shit man Grandad. Jee-wiz."

I love how the concept of luck is brought up. If it's just about luck then we're obviously SPECTACULARLY unlucky, so why on earth is that suddenly going to change? :lol:

"Grandad, were you there the day played their last ever game in the Premier League? I know it was 60 years ago, but it must've been swell, the Northern Conference is fucking shit man Grandad. Jee-wiz."

'It was, little one, it was. Now take this Werther's Original and fuck off.'

Guest firetotheworks

I'm offended I'm in the minority of preferring to win something.

It's all about money and fear and knowing your place these days.

Do you not think that's a canny belittling thing to say?

:lol: A bit I suppose.  I do think that's the crux of it though, people are terrified of doing a Leeds because these days when you fall off the edge you can really fall a long way.

I think that number of relegations( or years spent in a top division) are just as important as trophies  . If you include the financial implications from relegation, player exodus and banter from opposition fans it's clearly not worth it. And during an uninterrupted 10-15 year stay in a top division most teams will have a chance to win a trophy

Most teams who win trophies are at the very top, the others have dropped down not long after and not exactly been ever-presents, recently anyway.

FA Cup

Wigan

Chelsea

Man City

Chelsea

Chelsea

Portsmouth

Chelsea

Liverpool

Arsenal

Man U

Arsenal

Arsenal

Liverpool

Football League Cup

Swansea

Liverpool

Birmingham

Man U

Man U

Tottenham

Chelsea

Man U

Chelsea

Middlebrough

Liverpool

Blackburn

Liverpool

I actually meant reaching a final cos there's also the element of luck involved. If you include finalists of the last 20 years in both cup competitions and europe there's much more diversity:

utd,city,chelsea, arsenal,spurs,everton,liverpool,swansea,west ham,southampton,stoke,us,fulham, villa,wigan

that's 15/20

But we are talking about winning the trophy.

If we stay up and retain our players we'd have a chance of winning q cup in the next few years.

Whereas if we win a cup but go down that's probably it, we may not be lucky as to bounce straight back up.

Like we did when we were a top 4 club for a number of seasons under Sir Bobby?

Guest firetotheworks

Cup any day, what's the point of watching football if your never going to get to watch your team win something.

How the fuck would we know? :lol:

:lol: A bit I suppose.  I do think that's the crux of it though, people are terrified of doing a Leeds because these days when you fall off the edge you can really fall a long way.

Noticed this the other day: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doing_a_Leeds

:lol:

I love how the concept of luck is brought up. If it's just about luck then we're obviously SPECTACULARLY unlucky, so why on earth is that suddenly going to change? :lol:

If it was luck, we're pretty far from being SPECTACULARLY unlucky. It's a 1 in 758 chance to roll an FA Cup win.