Andy Carroll (now playing for Amiens SC)

Rich

2 hours ago, hakka said:

Think it was the goal against Liverpool where they backed off him outside the box, and he rolled it forward before smashing it low and hard to the bottom far corner. He really seemed unstoppable at that point. In the air or on the ground, a real nightmare of a striker to content with.

He was, but I think people forgot just how geared we were to him and his strengths. The Ashley era was a lot of that tbh - playing to a talisman. Nolan - Carroll - Cabaye, we put all our eggs on guy changing the game. 

In Andy's case, it was Joey Barton and good service from out wide that helped make him so unstoppable. 

Wish we'd had been paying him £1k a week in his time back hear. Nobody could grumble that's all he deserved. 

He's obviously clauses in the contract - if he starts X games he gets another year. He'll be in for a hefty whack on his per week for actually being fit and starting a game. It'll have been a huge pay day for him scoring a goal. 

Never wanted him back at the club. His two seasons reinforced my opinion he's a useless donkey of a player and should have retired years ago. Trying to eek out a career at Reading, if he's not careful he'll become a modern day John Parkin playing for a Lincoln on a goal bonus.

1 minute ago, Thiago said:

He was, but I think people forgot just how geared we were to him and his strengths. The Ashley era was a lot of that tbh - playing to a talisman. Nolan - Carroll - Cabaye, we put all our eggs on guy changing the game. 

In Andy's case, it was Joey Barton and good service from out wide that helped make him so unstoppable. 

Somewhat related.... a clash of generations, the final change of a guard - 'Cabaye-Barton' partnered each other in midfield played against Sunderland away in the Ryan Taylor over the Wall game. 

Never have Nolan or Carroll down as talisman personally. Couldn't give a toss that Carroll's career sank like fuck the moment Ashley's helicopter landed in Liverpool. 

3 hours ago, Plastician said:

Somewhat related.... a clash of generations, the final change of a guard - 'Cabaye-Barton' partnered each other in midfield played against Sunderland away in the Ryan Taylor over the Wall game. 

Never have Nolan or Carroll down as talisman personally. Couldn't give a toss that Carroll's career sank like fuck the moment Ashley's helicopter landed in Liverpool. 

Nolan was totally our talisman the year we went up. Carroll in the six months after that was really who we played to.

1 hour ago, Thiago said:

Nolan was totally our talisman the year we went up. Carroll in the six months after that was really who we played to.

Sugar coating what a talisman means, but if Kevin Nolan and Andy Carroll have a place in your heart, who am I to deny it? 

Nolan has never been anyone managers talisman. He was always Big Sam's puppy dog - great at Bolton, great in Championship, but just could never keep up in the PL with West Ham.

Nolan's influence played a part, but does disrespect to Barton, Harper, Butt, Smith, Carroll, Shola, Enrique, Colo...

Can't forget anyone that scores hat trick, but calling Kevin Nolan a talisman - no ideas, heads gone...

Edited by Plastician

I’ve got no Ill will towards Carroll, good luck to him, I’ve always regarded him as bang average, even when he was in his prime form for us. I always saw severe limitations in his game that would always prevent such a player ever being just more than average. He could have had a far better career, however, but poor attitude to personal lifestyle choices and training and fitness meant that was never going to happen in the end. 

4 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I love the fella deep down. 

I wanted him so badly to be our new Shearer at the time, a Geordie goalscoring number 9, and again I wish him well, but I just have no real feelings for him as a player or his time at the club. I do love that style of CF though, if he had pace, had a right foot, and a better attitude, he could have been one hell of a player. Ironically he has probably been our most significant player to come through our academy system since it’s formation and yet by all accounts he was nothing special coming up through the ranks. Right place and right time for him at the time you feel, for player and club. 

Edited by HTT II

On 30/11/2021 at 23:29, HTT II said:

I wanted him so badly to be our new Shearer at the time, a Geordie goalscoring number 9, and again I wish him well, but I just have no real feelings for him as a player or his time at the club. I do love that style of CF though, if he had pace, had a right foot, and a better attitude, he could have been one hell of a player. Ironically he has probably been our most significant player to come through our academy system since it’s formation and yet by all accounts he was nothing special coming up through the ranks. Right place and right time for him at the time you feel, for player and club. 

Didn't he have a loan spell somewhere, where he was absolute pony? Something like 1 goal in 20 games?

9 minutes ago, Raconteur said:

Didn't he have a loan spell somewhere, where he was absolute pony? Something like 1 goal in 20 games?

Aye, again I just think it clicked for him when we went down, for club and player, with the right players around him for his game and the right manager who trusted youth, he wouldn’t have made it otherwise (here at least).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

His left foot was always immense like, he should have been a star. When we sold him I was sure he was going to go to another level. I think it was probably more down to injuries than application that he faded away so quickly