Andy Carroll (now playing for Amiens SC)

Rich

Lee must have discovered that very recently because 3 hours ago an article came out mentioning that he was leaving! https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bringing-competition-demanding-more-goals-20770734

"But with Andy Carroll leaving, and a real lack of goals when Callum Wilson is absent from the side, starting the new season without a new striker is not something United can really afford to do."

Losing Andy Carroll is a blow - not in terms of the player himself but his style of play and the impact such a player can have from the bench.

It won't be easy to replace him, but Newcastle certainly need to look to bring in someone who puts himself about, is good in the air and can frighten defences late on in games.

Ideally, whoever it is will of course avoid injury and be available for more games but without a doubt, Carroll has to be replaced.

His experience was also key - a man who can lend advice to the young remembers of the dressing room whilst also making sure everyone knows what it means to play for the club, it's something else Bruce has to consider when looking for a replacement.

16 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Definitely. A far bigger an indication of where things are than anything else we've seen.

Why/how is it? You could just as easily argue that we're not releasing more funds to Steve Bruce cos there's an impending change in regime. 

16 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Definitely. A far bigger an indication of where things are than anything else we've seen.

Everybody knows that Ashley was never going to spend fuck all whilst this plays out. Has no indication of anything at all, this was always the case. He didn’t do it in January when relegation was a distinct possibility, so why would he do it now

7 minutes ago, LV said:

Joey Linton seems to take an inordinate amount of pleasure in this takeover failing.

Intriguing. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but JL is one of the few who cannot wait to step foot back into SJP.

14 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Why/how is it? You could just as easily argue that we're not releasing more funds to Steve Bruce cos there's an impending change in regime. 

We were told at the weekend Ashley expected the takeover to be done within a month and that he had told the buyers to have their funds in place ready for it. That's way before the transfer window shuts, so why are we tying ourselves to Carroll and wasting a squad place so soon? 

Regardless of how it's assembled, ultimately we require a squad of players for next season, and retaining Carroll on his peppercorn wage is extremely low risk as far as everyone is concerned.

The only reason why we'd offer him another deal is because we don't want to find and spend money on a replacement. I fail to see how that provides a clear indication either way with regards to the takeover. It's a demonstration of one of two polarising attitudes from Ashley:

"I'm staying, so the policy continues to be 'be unambitious and invest little.'" 

Or

"I'm leaving, so why bother investing." 

We've no idea which but if we believe literally every report, it's more likely to be the latter. 

Not that his certainty about winning the case provides that much confirmation re it actually coming to pass... 

4 hours ago, LV said:

Joey Linton seems to take an inordinate amount of pleasure in this takeover failing.

Intriguing. 

This. I also feel negative about the takeover, but I certainly do not support the PL and their gangs (i.e Bein Jacobs) and take pleasure in any negative news. Unlike some people in this board seems to do.

Edited by veriaqa

8 hours ago, nbthree3 said:

Lee must have discovered that very recently because 3 hours ago an article came out mentioning that he was leaving! https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bringing-competition-demanding-more-goals-20770734

"But with Andy Carroll leaving, and a real lack of goals when Callum Wilson is absent from the side, starting the new season without a new striker is not something United can really afford to do."

Losing Andy Carroll is a blow - not in terms of the player himself but his style of play and the impact such a player can have from the bench.

It won't be easy to replace him, but Newcastle certainly need to look to bring in someone who puts himself about, is good in the air and can frighten defences late on in games.

Ideally, whoever it is will of course avoid injury and be available for more games but without a doubt, Carroll has to be replaced.

His experience was also key - a man who can lend advice to the young remembers of the dressing room whilst also making sure everyone knows what it means to play for the club, it's something else Bruce has to consider when looking for a replacement.

It won‘t be easy to replace him? What?! You could sign my neighbour’s Red Setter in his place. Similar ball control and would offer more up front.

I mean, fuck me. You could get the statue of Shearer on as sub instead of Carroll and the output would be the same. 

8 hours ago, Joey Linton said:

We were told at the weekend Ashley expected the takeover to be done within a month and that he had told the buyers to have their funds in place ready for it. That's way before the transfer window shuts, so why are we tying ourselves to Carroll and wasting a squad place so soon? 

even after all this time you believe what Ashley says. he puts those messages out so he doesn't have to spend in his mind. when it ll falls through he will claim it wasn't his fault and still won't spend by the way. all players are employees in his mind. 

It's a 1 year extension for a backup player, until the takeover goes through officially we've still got to function (if we ever have under Ashley) as a club. We're hardly going to ship everybody out and a whole new squad in should we get taken over. It'll have no baring what is happening takeover wise.

On 06/06/2021 at 11:34, Scotty66 said:

Should never have left to join Liverpool. Was genuinely gutted when he did and with hindsight he'd have had such a better playing career staying here. Was a quality player then and caused problems for just about every defender we played against. 

Weird that for a player that never relied on pace and just had pure strength and aerial power his career went downhill so fast. Unfortunately that was all the injury problems though and not his own game style. 

I seem to recall reading an article where Carroll said he didn't want to leave and wasn't given a choice in the matter!

Guest neesy111
44 minutes ago, Ankles Bennett said:

I seem to recall reading an article where Carroll said he didn't want to leave and wasn't given a choice in the matter!

Will never believe that in the era of player power.  No way can you be forced to leave.