Andy Carroll (now playing for Amiens SC)

Rich

Brief article in the Times today saying he has in fact been released, and will be looking for a new club, but is also open to a coaching role.

You wonder how his career might have gone if it hadn't been for his injuries.

It's interesting that he is considering a coaching role. He must realise his playing days are over - they probably were a long time ago to be fair.

I might be doing him a massive disservice, but he doesn't strike me as coaching material. At least partly because his skillset as the big target man is so out of fashion, and probably will be more so over the years as I'm guessing heading will be increasingly phased out from youth level upwards for health reasons.

Of course, you don't have to coach the things you were personally naturally good at. In fact in some ways doing that can be a disadvantage, as you're not able to understand why someone can't do what you can.

Anyhow, that brief article was by Henry Winter, so I'm guessing it was right. According to it, he'd wanted an extra year, but no dice.

Best of luck to him, you do wonder if he could do a job in the championship (or dare I say it League One) off the bench for 4 or 5 goals a season.

2 minutes ago, Abacus said:

It's interesting that he is considering a coaching role. He must realise his playing days are over - they probably were a long time ago to be fair.

I might be doing him a massive disservice, but he doesn't strike me as coaching material. At least partly because his skillset as the big target man is so out of fashion, and probably will be more so over the years as I'm guessing heading will be increasingly phased out from youth level upwards for health reasons.

Of course, you don't have to coach the things you were personally naturally good at. In fact in some ways doing that can be a disadvantage, as you're not able to understand why someone can't do what you can.

Anyhow, that brief article was by Henry Winter, so I'm guessing it was right. According to it, he'd wanted an extra year, but no dice.

Best of luck to him, you do wonder if he could do a job in the championship (or dare I say it League One) off the bench for 4 or 5 goals a season.

I felt like he never got used here at all in this second spell to be honest 

but obviously is past it 

9 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Nobody in league one could afford him. Except.....

Guest reefatoon

Full credit to the lad tonight like. Went to Hanahana tonight for my daughters birthday and we were on the same table as Carroll, and he couldn’t have been nicer. Sang happy birthday when she got up, had a photo with her and wished her a happy birthday. He was spot on and made her night. Good on him, lovely fella. :thup: 

Is it normal for clubs to announce when a player leaves when the contract is up? Seen people complaining that no announcement was made about Atsu & Carroll leaving but their contracts were up, we’ve confirmed some new deals…just not sure why we’d announce something like that?

10 hours ago, reefatoon said:

Full credit to the lad tonight like. Went to Hanahana tonight for my daughters birthday and we were on the same table as Carroll, and he couldn’t have been nicer. Sang happy birthday when she got up, had a photo with her and wished her a happy birthday. He was spot on and made her night. Good on him, lovely fella. :thup: 

Am please to hear that Hanahana is still open - I used to go there a lot.  Has always been popular with Newcastle players ha

18 minutes ago, Beth said:

Think he'll rap in playing now if he's been sensible with his coin. Fair play to him, made a fortune off the back of one decent half season in the PL.

One of those that definitely shouldn’t have left the toon. Wasn’t suited to being a small fish in a large pond. Put him in the same bracket as Demba Ba and Cabaye. 

33 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Suggests Bruce wanted him to stay? 

He may have but think Carroll was one of the players not wanting or happy with Bruce last season.

Edited by nufcjb