Your all time favourite football match

aussiemag

One of the best matches I ever watched was our 1-1 draw with Germany in the 2002 World Cup. Our school put it on the big screen in the assembly hall and when Keane scored the last minute equaliser the place erupted. It was a fantastic moment. His last minute penalty against Spain in the knockouts was special as well and then ended in devastation in the shootout.

2-0 against Liverpool last year was one of my favourite in recent years. Most the rest have already been mentioned.

2-1 Pompey - deft touch from the prodigal son, Shearer 201, pandemonium. http://i.imgur.com/Nm7b2sJ.png

5-1's probably my all time favourite mind.

http://photosales.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/cache/beltel/b1/77/56/c1a56dcf7171dd7e50a6628625.jpg

http://www.sportsignings.com/images/products/products/IRELAND/4.jpg

Northern Ireland 1-0 England

Northern Ireland 3-2 Spain

:thup: :thup:

Amazing nights

When Healy lobbed Casillas for that hat trick, absolutely mental.

the 5-0 will always be my favourite..was so f***ing unbelievable at the time..

the Peacock goal started the drama with Sky and Andy Gray so bothered by whether the ball had crossed the line or not and the frame freezing-image enhancing thing they had back then was so cool at the time..loved that Gray had to give up and acknowledge in the end it was a goal..

Then it was just pure magic..Ginola's screamer, Sir Les' header and then seeing Shearer celebrating in front of their lot..Martin Tyler's 'Beardsley saved, Ferdinand saved, Shearer.. of course!' line still sticks in my mind..and to see Albert lobbing Schemichel in the rain was just f***ing great..

still have the VHS tape bought 3 days after the match until today..

nufc:

newcastle 7-1 leicester (1993)

newcastle 5-0 man utd (1996)

newcastle 8-0 sheff wed (1999)

newcastle 5-1 sunderland (2010)

non nufc:

liverpool 5-4 alaves (uefa cup final 2001)

germany 1-5 england (wc qualifier 2001)

england 2-2 greece (wc qualifier 2001)

milan 3-3 liverpool (champions league final 2005)

man utd 4-3 real madrid (champions league 2003)

All the usual suspects for NUFC matches.

Special mention to the two great wins over Villa as both were great matches.

NUFC 4 AVFC 3 (Dwight Yorke hattrick)

NUFC 3 AVFC 0 (3 great goals, 2 by Bellamy and the volley by Shearer)

Non NUFC:

Germany 1 Bulgaria 2 (94 WC QF) - Stoichkov and Letchkov  :smitten: What an excellent game of football that was.

England 3 Cameroon 2 (90 WC QF) - Back when international football was good

Best one I've been to was probably the 4-4....such a mental game.

Obviously the 5-1 is up there, but even then the atmosphere didn't match the Arsenal game at 4-3 down.  You could literally see the likes of Fabregas' arse drop, great day.

Pretty much all the Newcastle ones already mentioned

1-4 away to Sunderland, can't remember if anyone said that yet

Honourable mentions to a couple of ones from last season like the Man U and Chelsea ones, WBA away and both Stoke ones

6-2 over Everton under Robson

Random ones (my memory doesn't stretch that far):

1998 World Cup Final, just really like that France team and the celebrations around it with Zidane's face being projected onto the Arc De Triomphe etc. (Good documentary about it called Les Yeux Dans Les Bleus I'm watching atm which is probably why I picked this)

Turkey's two late shows in Euro 2008 against Croatia and Czech Republic ("NIIHAAAAAAAAAT!!!")

Actually, Hollands group games from then against France and Italy. They dicked them, and the supporters were all orange and that.

Deportivo 4-5 Barca from earlier this season was fun. Man U v Chelsea in the league cup too.

Actually, the 2-6 Clasico that VI mentioned. I feel like the 2010-11 Barca team were at a higher level but the 2008-09 team that won the treble were much more likable and a little rougher around the edges.

Germany 4-2 Costa Rica, 2006. Oddly because of how much it seemed the nation was united behind the team, I wanted Germany to win that year. Also Paulo Wanchope scored!

Brazil v France from that too

Third place play-offs in international tournaments are usually good fun

Chelsea 4-4 Liverpool from 2009

England 4-1 Holland, 1996

Czech Republic 3-2 Holland, Euro 2004