Road Trip

aussiemag

There's really nothing. It's 200 miles of nothing.

Not good news :s .. I want to see the countryside, some old fashioned pubs, anything else that would appeal to a 23 year old male. Thing is I would have been getting drunk as fuck for 4 weeks already, so I think I won't have much party left in me.

I'd recommend Cambridge, then onto Norwich and Cromer (seaside) It's a really nice part of the country, Norfolk.

Bath and Bristol are both nice cities too, but are the opposite side of the country unfortunately.

You can drive from London to Manchester in a few hours, and in between there's some boring stretches of suburbanised countryside and the huge West Midlands conurbation -- the UK's most tedious big city.

Stratford is worth a look, as someone suggested. I hear the Peak District is nice. But in that time frame you could detour to just about anywhere in England or Wales.

The others with me are thinking Oxford, Bristol, Cotswolds and peak district. I have no idea. What are the best towns/areas in the UK. Don't mind a massive detour. We are used to driving for miles living in Western Australia.

The others with me are thinking Oxford, Bristol, Cotswolds and peak district. I have no idea. What are the best towns/areas in the UK. Don't mind a massive detour. We are used to driving for miles living in Western Australia.

Take their advice. Drive from London towards the South Coast, head west towards Devon/Cornwall for your 'middle of nowhere' pubs. There's a canny drive up to the Avon region (Bath, Bristol) - spend a night in either of those.

You can head onto Oxford, then the Cotswolds - stop off at Burford and Bourton-on-the-Water, maybe Broadway too, (stay in Cheltenham?) before driving up to Stratford (most of this can be done on a couple of nice Roman A-roads which take you through the picturesque towns).

After Stratford, you can either jump on the motorway and be in Manchester under 2hrs and avoid the Birmingham region (:thup:) via the M6; or, if you've still got time to kill, head up the M1 and drive to Manchester via the M62 (trans-Pennine) - the UK's highest motorway above sea-level IIRC

Take their advice. Drive from London towards the South Coast, head west towards Devon/Cornwall for your 'middle of nowhere' pubs. There's a canny drive up to the Avon region (Bath, Bristol) - spend a night in either of those.

You can head onto Oxford, then the Cotswolds - stop off at Burford and Bourton-on-the-Water, maybe Broadway too, (stay in Cheltenham?) before driving up to Stratford (most of this can be done on a couple of nice Roman A-roads which take you through the picturesque towns).

After Stratford, you can either jump on the motorway and be in Manchester under 2hrs and avoid the Birmingham region (:thup:) via the M6; or, if you've still got time to kill, head up the M1 and drive to Manchester via the M62 (trans-Pennine) - the UK's highest motorway above sea-level IIRC

Cheers Stu, that sounds like a winner.

Oxford definitely worth a trip, go on the minor roads if you can. The drive up to Oxford from the south is over some really nice landscape. Also plenty of little villages by the river etc.

Windsor Great Park is very, very English if you're leaving London to the west and have time to stop off.

Stratford-upon-Avon possibly. These are all pretty old-school and quaint destinations mind you.

Oxford definitely worth a trip, go on the minor roads if you can. The drive up to Oxford from the south is over some really nice landscape. Also plenty of little villages by the river etc.

Windsor Great Park is very, very English if you're leaving London to the west and have time to stop off.

Stratford-upon-Avon possibly. These are all pretty old-school and quaint destinations mind you.

Thanks for the info.

Will there be many friendlies on around 27th July to 3rd of August. If the toon are paying somewhere, I'll definately head up. Keen to check out other clubs as well.

I've been invited over to Liverpool for Gerrard's testimonial on 2nd August. It's hard to politely tell someone to fuck off, but I think I managed it. :lol:

That should be a busy enough time for pre-seaon friendlies though. Most clubs are away at training camps or tours in July, then come back for domestic games at the start of August.

:lol: I'd be struggling to make a drive between London and Manchester last a week, I must admit.

Really just have to be in Manchester for the start of the Ashes (1st August) but have 5 days to get there. Not really interested in going to London, spent a lot of time there already.

Will there be many friendlies on around 27th July to 3rd of August. If the toon are paying somewhere, I'll definately head up. Keen to check out other clubs as well.

I've been invited over to Liverpool for Gerrard's testimonial on 2nd August. It's hard to politely tell someone to f*** off, but I think I managed it. :lol:

That should be a busy enough time for pre-seaon friendlies though. Most clubs are away at training camps or tours in July, then come back for domestic games at the start of August.

Sweet, I'll just play it by ear then. Do Man blue and Man red ever play home friendlies?

:lol: I'd be struggling to make a drive between London and Manchester last a week, I must admit.

Really just have to be in Manchester for the start of the Ashes (1st August) but have 5 days to get there. Not really interested in going to London, spent a lot of time there already.

Fair enough.  Personally I'd recommend the Peak District then.