Today I learned...

1 hour ago, OpenC said:

There are enough sausages in the world to get their own wiki list page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sausages

Half-Smoke sounds particularly worthy of a go I reckon, although its additional description of local sausage delicacy in quotes makes me think that it may be a local delicacy in the way that Jellied Eels are a "local delicacy"

They're not bad. All the rage about a half hour south of here.

Posted (edited)

Hmm, that's disappointingly faint praise. Last thing I tried that was all the rage half an hour south was a Parmo and that was ultimately not a transcendental experience. This is probably not worth the air fare or carbon footprint alas

Edited by OpenC

On 12/05/2021 at 09:25, OpenC said:

There are enough sausages in the world to get their own wiki list page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sausages

Half-Smoke sounds particularly worthy of a go I reckon, although its additional description of local sausage delicacy in quotes makes me think that it may be a local delicacy in the way that Jellied Eels are a "local delicacy"

Half-smoke’s a solid link. Getcha to Ben’s Chili Bowl in D.C.

On 10/05/2021 at 07:18, kingkerouac said:

I thought her parents were of Irish extraction. Hence the brother's name - Fineas.

I though they just really liked early 90s Tortilla Chips.

7 hours ago, leffe186 said:

...about the Danziger Bridge massacre:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danziger_Bridge_shootings

I mean, I must have known about it but there was so much horror around Katrina that this seems to have been wiped from my memory.

That's covered in Spike Lee's When the Levees Broke film.

I started watching a lot of stuff about the aftermath of Katrina, after watching Tremé - which was excellent.

That Dave Navarro out of Jane's Addiction and Deconstruction is listed as a 'television personality' these days :lol: I didn't investigate further but I can't begin to imagine how that happened

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, OpenC said:

That Dave Navarro out of Jane's Addiction and Deconstruction is listed as a 'television personality' these days :lol: I didn't investigate further but I can't begin to imagine how that happened

He presented a telly show about tattoos, ran for a few years I think.

I watched the Mourning Son documentary about him recently, centres around his mum's murder when he was 15 and how that set him off on a path to addictions and destruction. 

Was a good film, harrowing at times. Loads of home video footage of him taking drugs, S&M activity with a dominatrix etc. He's into some canny radge stuff.

Edited by bobbydazzla

Was a hell of a guitarist. Probably still is. I'll probably just leave him to his dominatrix so as not to ruin the solos in Three Days forever :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

There are snakes all about San Antonio, including venomous ones.

I mean it doesn't surprise me really if I think about it, but I'd never thought about it, not in urban areas anyway. Someone got bitten by a rattle snake on a running trail in my ~urban-suburban neighbourhood. Might think a bit more walking through grass and that...

I'd only thought about scorpions, and that was cos there's a page in my lease about letting them know if I get one in my flat... Also just read the odd alligator wanders into town! Fuckin American south man, these things hadn't crossed my mind - feel like it shou'dve been mentioned to me somewhere! :lol:

Edited by Inferior Acuña

On 08/06/2021 at 23:01, Inferior Acuña said:

There are snakes all about San Antonio, including venomous ones.

I mean it doesn't surprise me really if I think about it, but I'd never thought about it, not in urban areas anyway. Someone got bitten by a rattle snake on a running trail in my ~urban-suburban neighbourhood. Might think a bit more walking through grass and that...

I'd only thought about scorpions, and that was cos there's a page in my lease about letting them know if I get one in my flat... Also just read the odd alligator wanders into town! Fuckin American south man, these things hadn't crossed my mind - feel like it shou'dve been mentioned to me somewhere! :lol:

I’ve had the opposite feeling this month - doing yard work at my in-laws and realizing that I just wouldn’t have done some of the things I was doing if I was in Sydney because of snakes and spiders etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2021 at 08:36, leffe186 said:

Today I learned that bugchasing is a thing.

You mean deliberately catching HIV? Feel like I saw Stephen Fry or someone interview people about this during a doc.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

1 hour ago, Inferior Acuña said:

You mean deliberately catching HIV? Feel like I saw Stephen Fry or someone interview people about this during a doc.

Yeah, stumbled across it in a Wiki-hole. I genuinely did not know it was a thing.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, deejeck said:

Bob Monkhouse used to live in Forest Hall.

Didn't he run a club on Bath Lane?
There's the old tale I was told many times by older Geordies, that the Krays came up to take it over, walked from Central Station, up Pink Lane, crossed Westgate Road to Bath Lane and were promptly marched straight back down to CS, by whoever was 'looking after' Bob Monkhouse's premises.

it could be bollocks, like, but I was told this tale - in slightly different telling - by various people at different times.

7 hours ago, Happinesstan said:

TIL Kate Smurthwaite is a comedian.

I used to run comedy clubs, a few years ago we applied to run a show at the Fringe for the full month. We managed to get a cracking venue and a desirable time and considering this was our first run at the fringe we expected to get some shithole like the bins behind the Mile at 4am, but we lucked out - All because Kate Smurthwaite recommended us. Never worked with her before or since, so that was odd but it was nice of her.

2 hours ago, kingkerouac said:

Didn't he run a club on Bath Lane?
There's the old tale I was told many times by older Geordies, that the Krays came up to take it over, walked from Central Station, up Pink Lane, crossed Westgate Road to Bath Lane and were promptly marched straight back down to CS, by whoever was 'looking after' Bob Monkhouse's premises.

it could be bollocks, like, but I was told this tale - in slightly different telling - by various people at different times.

I bloke I worked with years ago told me he was part of the ‘team’ that put them back on the train. 

Mind he also told me he once caught a lobster that big he needed to borrow a huge pot from the Chinese takeaway to cook it

He filled it with water, dropped the lobster in, put the lid on and had to light all four rings as the pot was that big

20 minutes later he heard the pot lid fall on the floor. He walked into the kitchen just in time to see the lobster reaching out of pot turning the gas off with its claw!