Today I learned...

2 hours ago, kingkerouac said:

Didn't he run a club on Bath Lane?
There's the old tale I was told many times by older Geordies, that the Krays came up to take it over, walked from Central Station, up Pink Lane, crossed Westgate Road to Bath Lane and were promptly marched straight back down to CS, by whoever was 'looking after' Bob Monkhouse's premises.

it could be bollocks, like, but I was told this tale - in slightly different telling - by various people at different times.

Yeah, club was called 'Change is...' and he opened it as a joint venture with some local businessman from Darras Hall. From what I've read the guy fleeced Monkhouse out of a big chunk of his life savings. Don't know the tale about the Krays but I'm going to ask my Dad if he remembers anything, as he worked at Newcastle Breweries at the time which was right next to the club. 

Think the reason he ended up in Forest Hall was so that his son could attend Percy Hedley. He also lived in Wylam for a bit as well. 

8 hours ago, RS said:

I bloke I worked with years ago told me he was part of the ‘team’ that put them back on the train. 

Mind he also told me he once caught a lobster that big he needed to borrow a huge pot from the Chinese takeaway to cook it

He filled it with water, dropped the lobster in, put the lid on and had to light all four rings as the pot was that big

20 minutes later he heard the pot lid fall on the floor. He walked into the kitchen just in time to see the lobster reaching out of pot turning the gas off with its claw!

:lol: “Go on, hit me in the stomach!”

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/08/2021 at 11:11, BlueStar said:

That Hans Zimmer wrote the Going for Gold theme tune.

Wtf!?

That 80s tv show I'd watch when pulling a sicky from primary school? :lol:

Getting on a bit and having seen all his films and things, only just learned that C3PO is not like the lad below, all gold.

One of his legs is (from the knee down) silver, and I'd never noticed it!

01urchfont31cp3o.jpg&ehk=BdXOQhGauWbdcWL

Spoiler

This is not what he looks like. One of the legs should only be half gold.

Edited by BottledDog
Added image for reference

6 minutes ago, BottledDog said:

Getting on a bit and having seen all his films and things, only just learned that C3PO is not like the lad below, all gold.

One of his legs is (from the knee down) silver, and I'd never noticed it!

01urchfont31cp3o.jpg&ehk=BdXOQhGauWbdcWL

Hide contents

This is not what he looks like. One of the legs should only be half gold.

7e9b6f625b1f06b8c70fe19107bf62bc0f44b6eb

This should be a reaction smiley.

Watched Nirvana Unplugged for the umpteenth last night, thought I'd see what model of guitar Kurt was playing upside down. Turns out it was sold last year from $6m and it's the most expensive guitar in the world.

Edited by bobbydazzla

......where Albemarle Barracks is. Always assumed is was part of the Otterburn set up but it's a lot closer to here. I pass it regularly and never knew what was down that track.

We're overdue to be hit by a massive civilisation ending coronal mass ejection.  Great.

Were this event to occur today, the induced current would destroy, perhaps permanently, the American power grid system, shutting down power for years.  Water, communications, food delivery, emergency systems, Internet, all supplied power by the grid would cease to function.   Some scientists predict even smaller electronic systems, such as those in cars, cell phones, and basically anything with a computer would be damaged or destroyed by the induced current.  No developed country would be spared.

Such an event, would devastate the world economy.  Worse, many millions would die from starvation, disease, and the ensuing violence erupting from fights over the last morsels of resources available.

Everyday, one or more CME’s are released from the sun.  Most never affect the Earth more than producing beautiful auroral displays near the poles, where the Earth’s shield or magnetosphere is weakest.  However, every 100 or so years the sun produces a solar super storm, releasing one or more giant, technology killing, CME’s, like those emitted in 1859.  Our Earth is long overdue for the next event.

http://cmeresearchinstitute.org/carrington-event/

Edited by loki679