Is racism natural?

Parky

It's a natural human trait to be protective of the people close to you and suspicious of outsiders. We're tribal/familial, that's probably instinctive. And instinct will sometimes control our reactions to things, then it's up to us to bring in our reasoning minds to assess the situation rationally.

If it was natural, then not only would there be more racists, racism wouldn't be seen as a problem.

I took 'natural' to mean something that is part of human nature, not something that arose in the modern world. Obviously racism isn't acceptable in a modern civilised society, but it isn't civilised society that decides our nature.

If it was natural, then not only would there be more racists, racism wouldn't be seen as a problem.

Well killing was a natural instinct before civilisation. The animal in us is a killer.

But if it was part of human nature, wouldn't it be more acceptable in society?  Racism is mainly down to ignorance, which is why it was so much more prevalent when we first encountered African people than it is today.

Well killing was a natural instinct before civilisation. The animal in us is a killer.

For food.  Our instincts haven't changed since the agricultural revolution, just our needs.

For food.  Our instincts haven't changed since the agricultural revolution, just our needs.

We didn't just kill for food, we killed for mates and territory.

But if it was part of human nature, wouldn't it be more acceptable in society?  Racism is mainly down to ignorance, which is why it was so much more prevalent when we first encountered African people than it is today.

What do you mean by acceptable though? We have moved a long way since we operated only on instinct, now we have all sorts of social conventions that make up 'society'. One of which being it's not really acceptable to dislike someone because of their ethnicity.

What do you mean by acceptable though? We have moved a long way since we operated only on instinct, now we have all sorts of social conventions that make up 'society'. One of which being it's not really acceptable to dislike someone because of their ethnicity.

But why has society made us change?  If people are wired to hate other races, then why has society's perception changed?

I think it's natural, born through fear of the unknown.  but for those who grow up in a multicultural society then I think it's learnt

somewhere in the region of this, ignorance of other races and their cultures = fear/hate

edjicated folk can look past this a lot of the time, unless they get themselves edjicated into thinking they're a super-race obviously

Guest firetotheworks

Even the most ardent anti-racist is effected by it imo. It's too wound into the fabric of society to not be subliminally effected in some way. The Ryan Phillipe character in Crash was a well realised, fictional portrayal of that imo.

But why has society made us change?  If people are wired to hate other races, then why has society's perception changed?

Well we've developed all sorts of ways to communicate, travel, emigrate and learn about other people. We also no longer have the need to physically protect ourselves and our children in the same way we would have done in our early stages of evolution.

Sticking a spear through a rival was acceptable at one point, not so much any more (except in parts of Teesside). Same with 'racism', what I would think of as suspicion of people who are different to us. We are learning to move past it.

Even the most ardent anti-racist is effected by it imo. It's too wound into the fabric of society to not be subliminally effected in some way. The Ryan Phillipe character in Crash was a well realised, fictional portrayal of that imo.

I've never seen Crash but I think this is definitely true. I doubt anyone hasn't had an instinctive reaction to a person or a situation that could be considered 'racist', even if it barely makes it into the conscious mind before we realise how stupid we're being. Basically, everyone's a little bit racist.

It's a natural human trait to be protective of the people close to you and suspicious of outsiders. We're tribal/familial, that's probably instinctive. And instinct will sometimes control our reactions to things, then it's up to us to bring in our reasoning minds to assess the situation rationally.

Agreed.  its a nature/nurture thing. But being sentient we have learned that its not productive behaviour - just like forceful sex.

I think it's natural, born through fear of the unknown.  but for those who grow up in a multicultural society then I think it's learnt

somewhere in the region of this, ignorance of other races and their cultures = fear/hate

edjicated folk can look past this a lot of the time, unless they get themselves edjicated into thinking they're a super-race obviously

Fear of the unknown was definitely a factor centuries ago, but as other races have ceased to be "unknown", racism has declined.

I think the other big factor today is religion.

Fear of the unknown was definitely a factor centuries ago, but as other races have ceased to be "unknown", racism has declined.

I think the other big factor today is religion.

it's not unknown in the sense of never having seen them before, but not understanding any differences that are there.

even moreso with religion