Middle lane hogs

davy_fulla

http://news.sky.com/story/1099507/middle-lane-hogs-face-100-on-the-spot-fines

Thats me screwed then. Im guilty of hogging the middle lane but only if the nearside lane is busy with hgvs or old dears doing 50mph. If I see anyone coming up behind me though ill always move back across. There are some though that will sit in the middle lane even when all 3 lanes are clear. Wankers them lot!

Suppose thats my point really. How close together do the hgvs have to be to justify sitting in the middle lane? Do you move back in just to move back out in 10 seconds time. Dont know how the police would make the call.

sounds good that, forcibly remove people controlling a hurtling death machine out of their comfort zone for fear of a financial penalties

nothing could possibly go wrong

If you need a "comfort zone" behind a wheel then you shouldn't be driving.

If someones blatantly sitting in the middle lane on a clear motorway doing 60 its usually more satisfying to undertake at 70 whilst giving a look of disapproval 8)

Are you allowed to do that?

Nothing worse than someone sitting in the middle lane doing 65-70 when the inside lane is clear.

Actually scrap that, there is - lorries taking half an hour to overtake eachother forcing the 65-70 mphs into the outside lane.

Never knew skipping a light is a 3 point penalty - does this apply to the temp lights covering 10 yards of roadworks or just permanent lights? I'd lose my license in a day if the temp ones count - at 5:30 in the morning on straight country roads I never stop

The problem is that, as with almost every minor but extremely common driving offence, it will be impossible to enforce. There are a load of rules against the majority of stuff that goes on, problem is nobody in authority is ever present.

Whats the acceptable time between passing before it becomes lane hogging? If im passing a car/van/lorry every 15 secs i feel within my right to stay in that lane. Had this moral quandary this morning on the way to Leeds...

Guest bimpy474

Good, middle lane hogs should be dropped in a vat of acid. Fucking bad driving fucknuggets.

Guest bimpy474

Whats the acceptable time between passing before it becomes lane hogging? If im passing a car/van/lorry every 15 secs i feel within my right to stay in that lane. Had this moral quandary this morning on the way to Leeds...

If the lane to your left is available and you have completed your overtaking then you should be move left. It really is that simple.

I never even realised middle lane hogging was a thing tbh :lol:

The arguments against it seem weird too, assuming the people in the middle lane are doing 70mph. "I can't overtake this lorry because other people are, erm, overtaking me and this lorry", just indicate and someone will shift into the outside lane.

If the lane to your left is available and you have completed your overtaking then you should be move left. It really is that simple.

But surely if you are being pestered by these middle lane hogs they haven't finished overtaking as they are currently overtaking you? Surely the more open the road the less this becomes a problem too, obviously providing people are doing the speed limit.

Guest bimpy474

But surely if you are being pestered by these middle lane hogs they haven't finished overtaking as they are currently overtaking you? Surely the more open the road the less this becomes a problem too, obviously providing people are doing the speed limit.

3 lanes, the inside lane, and the other 2 are overtaking lanes. Not middle or fast lanes as they get called. You should always be in the most available lane to your left, be it the inside or "middle lane".

It really is that simple. I think this is where on our lessons we simply aren't taught motorway driving.

I'm all for so kind of enforcement of this but any time a police man is capable of giving on the spot fines I'm dubious, it's one persons point of view against another's and tbf some police are just arseholes.

If they want to change this there needs to be more ethical training brought into the driving test, train the right things for the right reasons not just a series of manoeuvres and an hours worth of driving in nominal conditions.

I heard it mentioned on radio 2 that some minister wants driving to be brought into the curriculum , I'd fully support that.

Yes but if its a fairly constant stream of traffic and im not inhibiting anyone's movement, then rather than constantly weaving in and out, its ok? Its just cycling from overtake to overtake. As has been stated, its open to interpretation whether it is hogging or just good sense. Its better "hogging" in the situation i stated than constantly changing lanes, i'd say at least.

3 lanes, the inside lane, and the other 2 are overtaking lanes. Not middle or fast lanes as they get called. You should always be in the most available lane to your left, be it the inside or "middle lane".

It really is that simple. I think this is where on our lessons we simply aren't taught motorway driving.

Unfortunately it is illegal for learners to drive on a motorway. Its almost inconceivable someone who passes a test in Newcastle at 9am could be away and driving on the Motorway network a minute later. I routinely practice on A19 /1058 and apply as best I can similar knowledge to these roads as you would use on a motorway. ie national speed limit. Slip Rd etiquette. Forward planning and anticipation. Mirrors etc.

There is currently legislation going through parliament to allow qualified ADI's to take pupils on motorways.

Personally, I push the PASS PLUS module  in which I suggest I'll concentrate mainly on motorway tuition and the take up is virtually nil. It should be compulsory.