Milner wants to stay

Skirge

I thought the lad would want out as soon as he could.

Milner wants United future

Dec 4 2006

By Luke Edwards, The Journal

James Milner is confident Newcastle United will reject Aston Villa's attempt to sign him in January after the young midfielder suggested he had never been happier with life at St James's Park.

Milner was due to move to Villa Park on deadline day in August, but the £5m transfer was aborted when Mark Viduka decided to stay at Middlesbrough.

But, while Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder was criticised over his handling of the incident, Milner has recovered and appears to have become an important part of his manager's plans.

Villa are expected to make another approach in the New Year, but Milner, whose commitment and steadily improving performances have also made him a popular figure among the club's supporters, does not think he will be going anywhere.

"There are constant rumours about Aston Villa, but I think I'll still be here in January, I certainly hope so," said Milner, who has already made 23 appearances this season following a year on loan at Villa.

"When you're at a club like Newcastle you are going to get these sorts of rumours the whole time, but it doesn't affect me. I'm going to concentrate on Newcastle, playing my football and getting on with the job of getting us back up the Premiership table.

"It's no secret that I'm enjoying myself here this season. You enjoy your football more when you're playing well and you play well when you're getting a regular run in the side.

"I'm getting that here. The manager's got tough decisions to make in midfield because we have a lot of quality in that area. You've got to play well to stay in the team, but I'm enjoying my football and I'm showing my best form.

"Hopefully I can continue to keep improving here."

The Journal understands that United will not be making another bid for Viduka in January. The Australian, who has not played since September because of injury, is out of contract at the Riverside Stadium in the summer, but Roeder has other targets.

The Magpies, who were yesterday handed a trip to Steve Bruce's Birmingham City in the draw for the FA Cup third round, will sign a left back - probably Wayne Bridge - and a centre back - possibly Zat Knight - and hope to bring in two strikers, one of whom is believed to play in Holland, when the transfer window opens.

Albert Luque will be sold to Villareal to raise much-needed funds, but the worry remains that, if a large offer does come in for Milner, it will be too attractive to turn down.

Milner, though, is utterly unfazed by speculation and is concentrating on making sure he helps Newcastle pull away from the relegation zone. Sheffield United's 2-1 win over Charlton on Saturday sent them back into the bottom three, although Roeder's side do have two games in hand over the Blades.

A home win over Reading on Wednesday night would lift them back out of trouble and Milner added: "It's nice to be able to put the Uefa Cup on the back burner for a while and concentrate on more pressing matters in the Premiership. We've got two games a week until after Christmas and only the Carling Cup game against Chelsea isn't a league game.

"We need to pull away from the bottom in the Premiership, knuckle down and get a few players back from injury. I think we've shown in the last few games that we do have a lot of quality in the squad, even if it isn't the biggest.

"We do not want to renew European competition in February still fourth from bottom because that isn't good enough for Newcastle United.

"We have put in some good performances recently and we have looked a lot more solid. Our last two games in the Premiership against Arsenal and Portsmouth have brought good results and we need to build on that. We've got a good run of games coming up and hopefully we can keep it going."

Meanwhile bookmakers William Hill believe Glenn Roeder wil be the next Premiership manager to be sacked.

West Ham boss Alan Pardew currently stands at 11-4 second favourite which makes the United boss favourite for the chop at odds of 13-8.

Middlesbrough boss Gareth Southgate is currently 5-1 to lose his job while the odds of nobody being sacked this season lie at 16-1.

Guest Ridzuan

I think it is understandable that he would like to stay with us and not going to Villa in January.Hes playing more regularly for us now,and I think he is really enjoying it unlike last season.I really hope he is still our player after the transfer window but I dont know if the club wants him more than they want the money for him.I hope not.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Milner wants United future

Dec 4 2006

By Luke Edwards, The Journal

James Milner is confident Newcastle United will reject Aston Villa's attempt to sign him in January after the young midfielder suggested he had never been happier with life at St James's Park.

Milner was due to move to Villa Park on deadline day in August, but the £5m transfer was aborted when Mark Viduka decided to stay at Middlesbrough.

But, while Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder was criticised over his handling of the incident, Milner has recovered and appears to have become an important part of his manager's plans.

Villa are expected to make another approach in the New Year, but Milner, whose commitment and steadily improving performances have also made him a popular figure among the club's supporters, does not think he will be going anywhere.

"There are constant rumours about Aston Villa, but I think I'll still be here in January, I certainly hope so," said Milner, who has already made 23 appearances this season following a year on loan at Villa.

"When you're at a club like Newcastle you are going to get these sorts of rumours the whole time, but it doesn't affect me. I'm going to concentrate on Newcastle, playing my football and getting on with the job of getting us back up the Premiership table.

"It's no secret that I'm enjoying myself here this season. You enjoy your football more when you're playing well and you play well when you're getting a regular run in the side.

"I'm getting that here. The manager's got tough decisions to make in midfield because we have a lot of quality in that area. You've got to play well to stay in the team, but I'm enjoying my football and I'm showing my best form.

"Hopefully I can continue to keep improving here."

The Journal understands that United will not be making another bid for Viduka in January. The Australian, who has not played since September because of injury, is out of contract at the Riverside Stadium in the summer, but Roeder has other targets.

The Magpies, who were yesterday handed a trip to Steve Bruce's Birmingham City in the draw for the FA Cup third round, will sign a left back - probably Wayne Bridge - and a centre back - possibly Zat Knight - and hope to bring in two strikers, one of whom is believed to play in Holland, when the transfer window opens.

Albert Luque will be sold to Villareal to raise much-needed funds, but the worry remains that, if a large offer does come in for Milner, it will be too attractive to turn down.

Milner, though, is utterly unfazed by speculation and is concentrating on making sure he helps Newcastle pull away from the relegation zone. Sheffield United's 2-1 win over Charlton on Saturday sent them back into the bottom three, although Roeder's side do have two games in hand over the Blades.

A home win over Reading on Wednesday night would lift them back out of trouble and Milner added: "It's nice to be able to put the Uefa Cup on the back burner for a while and concentrate on more pressing matters in the Premiership. We've got two games a week until after Christmas and only the Carling Cup game against Chelsea isn't a league game.

"We need to pull away from the bottom in the Premiership, knuckle down and get a few players back from injury. I think we've shown in the last few games that we do have a lot of quality in the squad, even if it isn't the biggest.

"We do not want to renew European competition in February still fourth from bottom because that isn't good enough for Newcastle United.

"We have put in some good performances recently and we have looked a lot more solid. Our last two games in the Premiership against Arsenal and Portsmouth have brought good results and we need to build on that. We've got a good run of games coming up and hopefully we can keep it going."

Meanwhile bookmakers William Hill believe Glenn Roeder wil be the next Premiership manager to be sacked.

West Ham boss Alan Pardew currently stands at 11-4 second favourite which makes the United boss favourite for the chop at odds of 13-8.

Middlesbrough boss Gareth Southgate is currently 5-1 to lose his job while the odds of nobody being sacked this season lie at 16-1.

I really dont understand why we should use money on TWO new strikers? Those money should be spent on other much more needed areas like the defense. If we buy two new strikers imagine how many we have when Owen and Ameobi has recovered. Would be stupid if you ask me. Maybe one but not two!

The bold bit seems like complete speculative bollocks. For a start, Wayne Bridge has just signed a new deal at Chelsea, and they even know the exact team that Luque will be playing for. Weird how they know before the club.

The fact that the dickhead can't even spell Villarreal right says enough.

you've got to hand it to the lad - after what the fat one and roeder did to him in the summer, no one could blame him for being off asap!

Wayne 'I just re-signed, and am very happy here at Chelsea' Bridge and Zat 'I'm f***ing rubbish' Knight

Genius.

Alot better than what we have, tbh.

i beg to differ. knight is total crap

Have to agree, unless he just seems to have a shit game everytime I see them play and is actually very good I would rather stick with Bramble and co!

Guest TheOrder

Not done a huge amount yet but is improving with every game.

Would like him to stay... wouldn't be devastated if he didn't.

Fuck me, if thats the case, our whole team can be replaced then. Milners been one of the best this season.

Not done a huge amount yet but is improving with every game.

Would like him to stay... wouldn't be devastated if he didn't.

Fuck me, if thats the case, our whole team can be replaced then. Milners been one of the best this season.

In a side that is 18th in the Premier League...

Like i say - he's been alright and he's improving.