Working offshore (rigs etc)

lovejoy

Anybody on here do this?

I love my job, I'm my own boss, stress free etc, but it depends on the weather, last week I had a great week, this week ive not been able to work and it feels like one step forward, two back all of the time.

I have a few mates who work offshore (theyre away at the min so cant ask them!) and it sounds appealing. The pay seems good and the 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off shift patterns would suit me down to the ground.

Anyone on here do it?  Could do with some advice.

I don't know alot about the work they carry out but IMO the pay is good because of the sacrifices you have to make. Being away from home sounds like a easy thing but its enough to wear most people down very quickly especially when your in a environment where you technically never leave work. Couple that with the danger and weather then to me it doesn't seem so well paid 

Know loads of people working offshore on platforms, rigs and different types offshore ships. Everyone enjoys it for the most part (may be mainly due to the shift pattern though), and the pay is brilliant, especially since you are almost unable to spend money while you are away on top of that.

Worked 2.5 years on supply vessel and anchor handling vessel myself on a 4 weeks on and off shiFt pattern, but quit to get an education and being away for so long periods didn´t suit me that well. 2 weeks on though is a whole other thing, and I would have loved it, but it is hard to get out if you don´t have any practical education unlike before.

what do you do thats dependent on the weather?

My brother in Law works on the rigs, seems to have a mare with it, going up and down the aberdeen, sometimes to come straight back. but never short of money when hes back.

what do you do thats dependent on the weather?

My brother in Law works on the rigs, seems to have a mare with it, going up and down the aberdeen, sometimes to come straight back. but never short of money when hes back.

Typical offshore mentality to complain. I wouldn´t give too much into to it. They are all just scared that more people will find out how great it is, and take their jobs.

a few ive spoken to reckon its a game of who you know not what you know, luckily I have quit a few friends in the game.

Being away from home wouldn't be ideal, but the time off would be fantastic and leans me towards this way of life as opposed to a 9-5. Some of the jobs ive researched this evening are 2 on 3 off, and the money is crazy!

My brother works in Oz at the mines. Was 3 on 1 off but is somewhere else that is 8 days on 6 days off. Tolerates the newer place, hates the old place. He came out of school with nothing so earning 60k is pretty good going!

Guest Howaythetoon

A friend of ours daughter's bloke works on a Rig, pretty high up, earns a fortune. He seems to enjoy it even though their kid has just turned one and he has another kid from another relationship.

a few ive spoken to reckon its a game of who you know not what you know, luckily I have quit a few friends in the game.

Being away from home wouldn't be ideal, but the time off would be fantastic and leans me towards this way of life as opposed to a 9-5. Some of the jobs ive researched this evening are 2 on 3 off, and the money is crazy!

Yup :lol:

I´d recommend trying to get a job offshore to anyone that haven´t got a fancy degree, or people with fancy degrees that are depressed by living in the business 9-5 world.

It´s a complete myth that it is unsafe to work offshore, 2 weeks is nothing (even if you have a family), pay is tremendous, due to strict HSE regulations work is not hard and not often (although you still technically are at work all the time), you get fed like a king (only remember to use the gym they have so you return home in some sort of shape) and they´ve got internet so you can still visit N-O when you are off duty.

Surely jobs are scarce on the rigs? And any vacancies that do arise will go to family/friends of those already employed?

Unless you have a trade i imagine trying to get into it without knowing anyone would be nigh on impossible. I know a few people who work on the rigs and one as an apprentice and without doubt they all found that work because of who they know not what they know.

Surely jobs are scarce on the rigs? And any vacancies that do arise will go to family/friends of those already employed?

Unless you have a trade i imagine trying to get into it without knowing anyone would be nigh on impossible. I know a few people who work on the rigs and one as an apprentice and without doubt they all found that work because of who they know not what they know.

Seems like it in most cases. I´ve heard quite a few have gotten jobs offshore by, and taking courses paid by the national labour and welfare administration here in Norway. That one irritates me to no end. Mostly fucking idiots whom havent bothered to lift a finger in their life, and get this served on a plate and now make almost twice what I do even though I have an education and good onshore job..but i digress. Not sure if that even is an option in UK. Other than that, one friend of mine paid for his own IMO basic course and drilling course while he worked at a call desk on the side and just applied for everything he could find after he completed the courses and eventually got a job.

Doesn´t have to be anything worse than asking someone a friend/relative of you know for help though..

One of the blokes i know is basically a cleaner (i forget the proper title) on the rigs. Makes a lot of money but due to crippling child support payments has to work part time on his two weeks off as well.

If i worked two weeks on and two weeks off i think id literally go on holiday for a week of my two weeks off EVERY month. Would be absolutely mint!

Doesn't mrmojorisin75 work on an offshore rig?

yeah i do dude

what exactly do you want to know lovejoy?  i've actually hardly ever worked in the north sea, been working abroad for the last 7 or so years but on rotational patterns for the most of it (current 28/28, 42/14)

pros: money obviously, time off, it's piss easy to look good if you're not an absolute joker because the industry is riddled with them (probably less so in norway), get to travel around the world a lot

cons: time on can be hard, my wife had to raise the bairn virtually on her own 'cause i was away all the time and she had no family to help....hard times, the industry is riddled with jokers (a lot of them in senior positions), contracting work which pays the most is obviously unpredictable and there are no benefits whatsoever

a lot would depend on what you do now and what you think you could do, for example you could get into the industry but not have to work offshore if you have the right skills...my job offshore is about end in 2 days, but it looks strongly like i'm going to be working the same rotational pattern onshore in the office....for every offshore platform or project there's people working onshore to support them, if you can get into that it's gold all the way

without a doubt if you're serious you'd have to start out doing some shite and plough through it, be that a shit role or working in a shit location

anyways dunno, i'm rambling, better if you ask me what you want to know i'll help if i can

really hard for me to say, i know a bloke who is leaving here to go on a hookup and he's going to be a mechanical tech for commissioning for 600+ a day in the north sea...he's on an engineer rate out here but is on less than that

i'd imagine somewhere in the region of 400 and upwards for an operations or drilling maintenance tech but that would likely come with more security and benefits too

there's a massive manpower shortage in the north sea and it's only going to get worse due to the ageing workforce, hence they're paying more to try to reign in the people fucking off abroad for wages where they don't pay tax (me!)

depends what you do or want to do, there's fuckin loads of companies aye and specific oil related jobsites you can search through

i'll try and and offer some suggestions if anyone wants to specify what they do or think they maybe could do

now is not a bad time of the year as there's usually loads of production shutdowns etc. in the north sea 'cause the weather is better

can't lie, it helps to know people in the game as a lot of people get starts that way...other factor is offshore survival training and medical - if you have this you're a better proposition as an unknown 'cause the company don't have to fork out for it for new starts