Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)

Decky

I'd say so yeah. Day 1 purchase for me and probably the last current gen game I'll buy.

Well if it's anywhere near as good as The Last Of Us has been so far then it looks like (like the PS2 did)  the PS3 is going out with a bang!...

I enjoyed Heavy Rain more than i thought i would (with it not really being a game as such...) i wonder how this will differ in implementation?

The PS3 exclusives have been brilliant like. Metal Gear, Heavy Rain & Resistance 3 are definitely in my top 10 games for this gen and The Last of Us (going by the reviews) and possible this could be in there too.

Even the Little Big Planets were pretty fucking cool.

I really thought Uncharted was an average game on the whole tbh. It looked great and the set peices were class but the combat bored me and the story didn't really grip me either (although I only played the 3rd).

I don't mind The Last of Us being compared to it aslong as the combat is different, which from what I've read it is.

When 1 came out it was the best game I had played from this generation, and from then on I loved the series, so maybe I've overhyped 2 and 3 because of it. However I honestly do think Uncharted is one of the best gaming trilogies out there though.

Possibly the last game I'll be buying for my PS3 before the switch to PS4... I'm guessing its the last PS3 exclusive left to be released?...

Actually forgot about Puppeteer from Sony Japan due out Sep 11th... Looks fab... Like a fully blown Little Big Planet game almost...

• 3 months later...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-08-beyond-two-souls-review

Heavy Rain worked because it was a police procedural, a genre that's all about narrow horizons and methodical reassurance. The tight confines of Quantic's style suited it well. The same delivery just can't contain Beyond's epic scope, preposterous premise and high-octane action. You're left feeling detached from it, and its component parts have nothing more than a frail spine of story holding them together.

And something else has changed since 2010: it's a lot less lonely on the interactive drama frontier. The indie scene has seen an explosion in narrative games using experimental styles as varied as To the Moon, Gone Home and Thirty Flights of Loving. The Walking Dead has looked toward TV and comics and proved the value of the simple dramatic virtues: strong characters, solid writing, interesting situations. Even dumb action games like Asura's Wrath have got in on the act.

Beyond's approach is no less valid than any of those. But the film stars, the motion capture tech, the black borders, all that expensive striving to look just like a movie, don't make it any more valid either. Perhaps what David Cage and his dream need are limitations - limitations that Sony's blank cheque has singularly failed to impose on this sprawling, over-reaching game.

6/10