Joe Kinnear (now retired)

Anderson

@garyalsmith: Something for Newcastle fans. @eastsportsman asks him if he spoke to Joe Kinnear. With a sly smile, Andre Ayew says: "Maybe. Maybe"

Sounds like a painful, embarrassing experience he does not want to talk about!

:lol: he doesn't sound too convinced like

Kinnear probably introduced himself as Gandhi or something.

@garyalsmith: Something for Newcastle fans. @eastsportsman asks him if he spoke to Joe Kinnear. With a sly smile, Andre Ayew says: "Maybe. Maybe"

It mind boggling to think what these negotiations would have been like. Like some sort of fucking slapstick eastenders

It really does. But you forgot to mention the acid, lots and lots of acid  :lol:

It mind boggling to think what these negotiations would have been like. Like some sort of f***ing slapstick eastenders

It really does. But you forgot to mention the acid, lots and lots of acid  :lol:

:lol: tbf Kinnear would be scary prospect on acid.

He was defo on acid in that TS interview  :lol:

It mind boggling to think what these negotiations would have been like. Like some sort of fucking slapstick eastenders

I suspect it was more like a David Lynch film, probably had Dennis Wise there too talking backwards.

Genuine question what does he actually do?

"in charge of all footballing matters"

don't worry I'm sure he spent the week at Ajax and Barcas academies absorbing their philosophies on football like a sponge before coming back to Newcastle like a mother bird coming back to her nest and regurgitating what he learned to the expectant coaches.

That or he sat in his sitting room in a inflatable kids paddling pool drinking wine from a box watching Brookside and Vinnie Jones' football bloopers on his VCR.

I'll stick this one in here.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-legends-warn-mike-ashley-2269674?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Newcastle legends warn Mike Ashley that Joe Kinnear is the wrong man for the  job

2 Sep 2013 23:00     

"If Joe Kinnear was speaking to you, are you going to join this football club?" asks Toon legend Rob Lee

Rob Lee had some harsh words for Joe Kinnear

Joe Kinnear has been warned he's the wrong man to lead Newcastle's search for new signings - as a trio of United legends sounded a warning to owner Mike Ashley.

Ex-Newcastle stars Rob Lee, Andy Cole and Alan Shearer last night outlined their concerns over Newcastle's ambition, and future chances of success, as retail tycoon Ashley comes under further pressure to publicly outline his aims.

Former midfield maestro Lee was scathing about Director of Football Kinnear, who failed to land a permanent deal in the summer after boasting he could talk to any manager in the world.

Boss Alan Pardew faced questions about United's lack of signings for the first time yesterday, and admitted he wanted at least another striker.

Kinnear was in charge of making the deals happen for the likes of top target Bafetimbi Gomis, but only Loic Remy, who turned the club down in January for QPR, arrived on loan.

Lee asked: "Kevin Keegan sold this club to me when I joined. If Joe Kinnear was speaking to you, are you going to join this football club. I'm not so sure..... They aren't coming. Players don't want to join Newcastle anymore."

Cole accused Ashely of "throwing a spanner in the works" this summer, after making some progress, and warned: "You've got to have some sense of ambition. You've got to try to bring new players in to keep the players already here on their toes and to raise standards.

"They seem to get themselves on the right track and all of a sudden someone here derails them. The punters were fairly happy a couple of years ago, the team were moving in the right direction and then decisions are made at the top.

"It's almost as if somebody running the club wants to upset the punters and I find that very strange. If you upset them, they're going to eventually vote with their feet because there is only so much they can take."

Record goal scorer Shearer expressed his fears that the Keegan side of 1996, which almost won the title, is likely to be the best in living memory.

He said: "I think two years ago, they overachieved when finishing fifth and I think last year, they underachieved. They are somewhere in the middle. Like a lot of other football clubs, they needed more players but they did not arrive in the window.

"I kept on listening to Alan Pardew saying he wanted some players and the club were confident of bringing some in. Reading the lines, I expected a player or two to come in. I haven't got a clue why they didn't. They bought a few in January, but I would be amazed if they were in a relegation battle.

"That 1996 team which just missed out on the title may be the best any Newcastle fan sees in his lifetime. It could be a long time before that happens again. It takes an incredible amount of money to get there. You've seen what Spurs have spent. You have seen what Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Arsenal have spent and Newcastle cannot compete with them anymore unfortunately.

"The aim now is to try to win a trophy be it the FA Cup or the League Cup and to stay in the Premier League unfortunately. It might be a while before you see Newcastle challenging again for a top four place which is a shame because the fans here deserve it."

Ashely has overseen Newcastle become the cheapest top flight to watch according to a BBC survey published yesterday. He stabilised the finances with an interest free loan that currently stands at £129million, but steadfastly refuses to say why he bought the club and where he wants it to head.

He has been advised that the fans will not keep filling St James' Park, and can't be taken for granted.

The 51,000 who turned up for Steve Harper's testimonial on Wednesday was the biggest crowd of the season, and Lee said: "To be told their biggest crowd of the season is for a testimonial match is a huge surprise and it's worrying for them. If you're not going to try to improve by buying better players, fans are going to vote with their feet.

Alan Shearer has also spoken out against the Newcastle hierarchy

"They've had a hard few years again. They did very, very well a couple of years ago and almost got into the Champions League again, but it has fallen apart since and they are struggling. I was here for the West Ham game a couple of weeks ago and it was poor. If we have a fall team out we're decent, but if a couple are missing, we're going to be poor.

"The fans want to see the club progressing and they want to see the owner spending some money on the team. That hasn't happened. I'd like to see them spend it on a few more British players. They've not got enough in the squad. They've gone too far. Some of the foreign players have been good, but some of them aren't good enough and there doesn't seem to be any desire to invest in domestic talent.

But asked if Ashley should step aside if he hasn't got the ambition, Lee added: "In an ideal world, he should, but it isn't an ideal world. If he sold it, you don't know if you're going to get someone even worse. The likelihood is you are going to get a foreign owner. There aren't any Geordie billionaires out there. That's the problem you've got."

I like that Andy Cole as-near-as-damnit accused Ashley of taking the piss out of the fans. A few more high-profile people saying the same thing might be a good idea.

Any of you Geordies fancy calling Talkshite and asking them what they thought of Cole's comments in order to get some of that talk going?