RIP Joe Kinnear (1946-2024)

Anderson

He's finishing off that interview, after he became DoF, by saying he's certainly got more intelligence than the Newcastle supporters who don't backed the decision :thup: Aced it

Edited by Collage

He was blatantly not well from day 1. 

One the most despicable acts Ashley performed in his tenure. 

RIP

4 hours ago, Earp said:

Remember when he went on a ‘scouting’ mission in France and went missing. Was found leathered at an airport in France 

Any links to this?

Edit: just seen the images on previous page.

Edited by toon25

Dementia is a cunt of a disease, I've had grandparents suffer it.  Awful for his family.  RIP Joe.

On a far less important note, it still seems unbelievable that he had two spells here.  Second time round was just awful, and you could see that the bloke wasn't quite all there.  That talkshite interview was a shocker, and it is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) stains of Ashley's tenure that he put that man into the limelight in that condition.  Kinnear did what most would do - he took the job.  The blame lies with those who appointed him.

Horrid disease, RIP Joe.

He was obviously way past it when he pitched up here for the first time and despite all the embarrassment he caused, I'm convinced in an alternate timeline where he doesn't get ill before West Brom away that we stay up that year. Hughton's caretakership and Shearer's hail mary were brutal, whereas Joe from memory had us drawing a lot and probably just about tracking towards a survival total.

The DOF bit was just mental :lol: zero permanent signings, trying to sign a lad who we'd loaned out and then getting his boat in the official picture with Remy when he joined on loan, despite that being in the works for ages before JK reappeared. Then allegedly bungling the Cabaye sale because he didn't understand exchange rates.

An era that is ever more ridiculous the further we get away from it and look back. But, he did try and knock Phil Brown out and for that he wins a few points back.

As much as I really disliked the bloke, I think you have to look back on how he was with the hindsight that there's a good chance the way he went on had something to do with his dementia. A truly awful disease and at the end of the day, it's fucking football, it's as trivial as it gets in the grand scheme of things. 

Rest easy Joe. 

I have nothing but awful memories of his time at the club but he was very much a symptom rather than a cause of it. It is weird to look back at his results as manager as see he had us on a six match unbeaten run at one point.

He period of DoF was just sad. He was clearly not a well bloke. His summer interrailing around Europe while Pardew desperately tried to convince him to buy Darren Bent via media leaks was a particular nadir of the Ashley era.

RIP.

I once fact-checked that Talksport interview; it was all lies or, being charitable, he may have already misremembered nearly everything he was ever involved with, from things he claimed to have won to players he claimed ro have got on a free and sold for huge profit. Ashley deserves shooting with shit for appointing him (amongst many other things).

edit: here’s a breakdown from a journalist: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/joe-kinnear-radio-interview-line-by-line-1960189

Edited by Unbelievable

16 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Don’t forget Sissy, Insomnia and Lambeezee :lol:

And from his first interview, "Jeremiah" in midfield

He was so out of touch with everything by the point he rocked up here as manager, he was a total PR disaster and didnt seem to give a shit [emoji38]

I don’t know why people think back on that period with anger though, both his stints as manager and DOF were absolutely hilarious.. (I’ve always been convinced he was only brought in as DOF to take the heat for Ashley spending nothing). I never see this mentioned as far getting names wrong go but I’m sure he used to call Geremi ‘Jerimiah’ [emoji38] 

Pretty sure alcohol abuse and early onset dementia had a lot to do with him and his outbursts but I wouldn’t change any of it, total comedy throughout. RIP

Edited by Nine

Just now, Scoreboard82 said:

Will the club mark his passing today? Minutes silence/applause? Going to be one the most awkward I'll ever have experienced if so.

Just put a picture of Simon Bird on the screen and have everyone say "You're a cunt" to him.

I'm also a little uncomfortable with any silence/applause given he wasn't exactly loved when he was here. Sad he's dead and all, but insincere to pretend we liked him when he was here or weren't embarrassed about him being associated with the club. I'm sure there is a more subdued compromise we could do.