Brazil 2014

Mr Logic

Football comes to Chat

http://www.theworldcup2014brazil.com/index.php

What a spectacle, it will be magnificent. Won't it? All the new stadiums, massive influx of tourist dollars, fantastic for Brazil.

Of course the reality is somewhat different. Watch for yourselves as this personable young lady explains it to you. Pay particular attention to the speech of the president towards the end of the short movie contrasting with images that deny everything she says.

Guest neesy111

Been reading up on this a bit and the whole thing is rife with corruption.  Protestors are correct in protesting about it.

Traditionally police forces around the world were considered public servants, there job to protect the peace and protect the people form law-breakers.

Increasingly we see throughout the world the police are a militaristic arm of government, existing to protect the system. When thousands take to the streets to protest this is the time when a govt should take notice and start to listen, they, after all, are also public servants. Instead they order the police to break up protests with, seemingly, maximum force.

Can't understand Brazilian portuguese, sorry folks. Hopefully Felipao will be in to give is a gist of what's said. Got a mate in Florianopolis but don't think there's much trouble down there (quite well off).

The biggest problem is the fact that R$30billion have been spent on absolutely nothing that will help the people and a lot of that money has been spent to please FIFA or in the pocket of politician. I'm in Brazil now, we've seen some minor improvement in airports in Rio, no improvement in airport in Sao Paulo. Public transport is having minor improvements in Rio, none in Sao Paulo and I can only imagine that it will be much worse in the other cities. Sao Paulo think they're doing a great job by introducing cycling paths at the side of the roads, only problem is they're just painting it red and putting some lines there to show it a cycling path, but they completely forgot that you can't use a bicycle where there's larger holes every 5 meters.

We're having no improvement in healthcare, (I'm interning at a hospital in Brazil at the moment and the other day I was at the intensive care unit where a woman had just arrived from UPA (basically emergency unit where they should stay couple of hours) but because of a lack of space she spent 28 whole DAYS at the UPA. It's an embarrassing and our president is making it even more embarrassing by rather than spending money to improve healthcare she is looking to do the same idiotic move Hugo Chavez did in Venezuela, bring doctors from Cuba (mind this isn't the DOCTORS in Cuba, these are 2-3 year long medical education students who then consider themselves qualified to do the job of what in every other country takes at least 6 years of study + 2 years of residence to complete). Orthopedic surgeons won't want to work in the Amazon no matter how high salary they get (pretty high if you're willing to work under a non-adequate circumstance and with no equipment to help people) since they don't want to work with screws manually or without x-ray machines. Dilma Rousseff decided that by bringing in 3000-6000 cubans would make it all better instead of spending that money to improve hospitals.

I can't complain about education because it was never expected to get better with the World Cup, however public transport, better roads, airports and hospitals should all be an important part of hosting an event as large as this. But no we've decided to spend money on stadiums that aren't even complete and that might not be used in the future. Why 12 stadiums? Why not have 8 stadiums? Why have one in Manaus in the Amazon? Why not improve the stadiums that existed rather than re-build tons of them?

As for the protesters, they're doing a great job those who keep it pacific/peaceful. There's always a small group of idiots who take advantage of the situation to cause more trouble. (young guys who are 'complaining' the government has overspent by making it even more expensive for the government...)

At the end the World Cup will be beautiful for the tourists (i'd recommend anyone to come here, will be expensive but will be worth it), it's for the Brazilian people that the problem will last forever. Like we say in Brazil, God made Brazil and then put the people there so no country could be perfect.

Can't understand Brazilian portuguese, sorry folks. Hopefully Felipao will be in to give is a gist of what's said. Got a mate in Florianopolis but don't think there's much trouble down there (quite well off).

I can't watch it right now since I'm in SP and not Rio and the internet here is terrible. I'll be back in Rio by Sunday but I think that Sewelly helped you out above.

Same shit in Portugal with the Euro championships. Blew money on nothing that was needed. Developers and builders got rich, everyone else got f**k all.

Same thing when Portugal joined the Euro actually. Got these grants to do stuff. Built tons of roads and highways, etc. Fat contracts going to f**k knows who. Roads are empty!

F**king corruption, man. Ugly.

I'm going, so I don't see why anyone who wants to go wouldn't go. It's largely safe over there and the demonstrations aren't interrupting with life for those who don't want to get interrupted except the politicians. But that's all on the them.

It's a damn shame when you think what these major tournaments could be like, ie be a festival of football and then also have a positive influence economically, societally and on infrastructure. There's no reason they can't be a huge shot in the arm for countries like Brazil and South Afric but instead FIFA executives and corporate developers get rich and the circus just moves on somewhere else.

I think Valcke's comment about hosting stuff in less democratic countries (not that Brazil isn't) speaks volumes.

They should be a boost not a burden on the economy.

I think Valcke's comment about hosting stuff in less democratic countries (not that Brazil isn't) speaks volumes.

TBF Valcke should just shut the fuck up, because in the end FIFA are as big thieves as the Brazilian politicians. Do you think the money that disappears only ends up in Brazilian pockets? 

It's a damn shame when you think what these major tournaments could be like, ie be a festival of football and then also have a positive influence economically, societally and on infrastructure. There's no reason they can't be a huge shot in the arm for countries like Brazil and South Afric but instead FIFA executives and corporate developers get rich and the circus just moves on somewhere else.

It is. It's just sad, but it's worse because Brazil as a growing economy there's more money to steal than in South Africa last time.

TBF Valcke should just shut the fuck up, because in the end FIFA are as big thieves as the Brazilian politicians. Do you think the money that disappears only ends up in Brazilian pockets? 

Totally agree I think he was alluding to not being a fan of Brazil sticking up for themselves on some issues unlike Russia and Qatar who'll just do whatever.

Your point about the stadiums is bang on too, you've got massive white elephants being built in Manaus, Brasilia (probably), Cuiabá etc and money that going on them which was supposed to be private has now become public. It's daft. Yes, try and include the whole nation but howay man think about it logically. Be the normal pandering to the states which is still rampant in CBF RE: state championships, despite them being largely a waste of time.

I recommend paying him a visit, beautiful part of the world.