Sunderland

Nobody

I just mean in general there seems to have been an attitude that we need to get American fans on board with the sport of football like it makes any difference to the fact that it's the global popular sport regardless of whether you're interested or not.  Also, English fans should always be regarded as 100 times more important than foreign fans of Premier League football, however money talks and we're increasingly seeing that not being the case with kick off times, etc.  Fans of English clubs that reside in this country and actually attend games will always be the lifeblood of the sport.  The Premier League have already changed the game from a working class game to more of a middle class one and if they take the piss enough then teams will be playing in front of half-empty grounds.  At least I hope they will anyway, it's what the PL deserves the way they carry on.

Ashley has done a great job generating revenue. For a mid-table team. Which is this club's ceiling at the moment, and something nobody should be satisfied with.

I just mean in general there seems to have been an attitude that we need to get American fans on board with the sport of football like it makes any difference to the fact that it's the global popular sport regardless of whether you're interested or not.  Also, English fans should always be regarded as 100 times more important than foreign fans of Premier League football, however money talks and we're increasingly seeing that not being the case with kick off times, etc.  Fans of English clubs that reside in this country and actually attend games will always be the lifeblood of the sport.  The Premier League have already changed the game from a working class game to more of a middle class one and if they take the piss enough then teams will be playing in front of half-empty grounds.  At least I hope they will anyway, it's what the PL deserves the way they carry on.

Ashley has done a great job generating revenue. For a mid-table team. Which is this club's ceiling at the moment, and something nobody should be satisfied with.

He's done an awful job generating revenue actually, he's done a good job minimising costs though.

He's done an awful job generating revenue actually, he's done a good job minimising costs though.

Agreed

:lol: Sorry, I just don't have some visceral hatred for Sunderland. Never been there, never met anyone from there. I consider myself a Newcastle fan and respect the rivalry, but that's about it.

Agreed. I've met one Sunderland supporter in my entire life, and she was a woman in her fifties that had complete control over the marks for one of my courses. We were hardly going to have an antagonistic relationship. Most of the people I know who follow football in Nigeria and US could not pick out Sunderland from Stoke. Boring useless team who play rubbish football, who cares. Even in London, most people I talked to couldn't name a single player on their team. It has been the same in Italy. Sunderland are just completely and utterly irrelevant.

I've gained hatred over the years because of how they act about the derby match, and the vitriol from all parties during that match every season, but it will never rival the deep feelings of disgust every time I see Manchester United play.

I just mean in general there seems to have been an attitude that we need to get American fans on board with the sport of football like it makes any difference to the fact that it's the global popular sport regardless of whether you're interested or not.  Also, English fans should always be regarded as 100 times more important than foreign fans of Premier League football, however money talks and we're increasingly seeing that not being the case with kick off times, etc.  Fans of English clubs that reside in this country and actually attend games will always be the lifeblood of the sport.  The Premier League have already changed the game from a working class game to more of a middle class one and if they take the p*ss enough then teams will be playing in front of half-empty grounds.  At least I hope they will anyway, it's what the PL deserves the way they carry on.

England seems to have the most local-fan sensible kickoff times of any big league. I understand that isn't the case with prices, but that was inevitable as the game grew.

Irrelevant is probably the best word to describe Sunderland. I understand that the rivalry between the cities of Newcastle and Sunderland extends back a good long time and is about more than just football, but it just seems like a city/club/fanbase not worth the time of day.

:lol: Sorry, I just don't have some visceral hatred for Sunderland. Never been there, never met anyone from there. I consider myself a Newcastle fan and respect the rivalry, but that's about it.

Agreed. I've met one Sunderland supporter in my entire life, and she was a woman in her fifties that had complete control over the marks for one of my courses. We were hardly going to have an antagonistic relationship. Most of the people I know who follow football in Nigeria and US could not pick out Sunderland from Stoke. Boring useless team who play rubbish football, who cares. Even in London, most people I talked to couldn't name a single player on their team. It has been the same in Italy. Sunderland are just completely and utterly irrelevant.

I've gained hatred over the years because of how they act about the derby match, and the vitriol from all parties during that match every season, but it will never rival the deep feelings of disgust every time I see Manchester United play.

I just mean in general there seems to have been an attitude that we need to get American fans on board with the sport of football like it makes any difference to the fact that it's the global popular sport regardless of whether you're interested or not.  Also, English fans should always be regarded as 100 times more important than foreign fans of Premier League football, however money talks and we're increasingly seeing that not being the case with kick off times, etc.  Fans of English clubs that reside in this country and actually attend games will always be the lifeblood of the sport.  The Premier League have already changed the game from a working class game to more of a middle class one and if they take the p*ss enough then teams will be playing in front of half-empty grounds.  At least I hope they will anyway, it's what the PL deserves the way they carry on.

England seems to have the most local-fan sensible kickoff times of any big league. I understand that isn't the case with prices, but that was inevitable as the game grew.

How so?  There have been numerous occasions of NUFC games in London or Brighton or wherever being rescheduled for 12.45, that's unacceptable.  Plus the fixtures get rescheduled at such short-notice sometimes that it has massive ramifications in terms of travel and accomodation costs.

It's not a huge deal for me since I either go home for the weekend to catch a home match or go to an away game near my flat in London, but a lot of people get the piss taken out of them constantly with this stuff, all in the name of TV.

I'd rather Newcastle won a throw-in than the US win the world cup. Vote Thomas best American 2013.

:thup:

Although I tried to get the same type of recognition and didn't get one. Should definitely be called the #1 Brazilian on here and you #1 American.

I maintain that he's (Jozy) absolutely dead to me unless he puts on the USA shirt, in which he must be a world beater capable of scoring loads of goals for the national team.

Those of you who know me on here, for as long as i've been on here, will have already known my stance on that.

I felt the same about Claudio Reyna, who was worthless to me during his spell at Sunderland, but is someone I highly rate overall. Hopefully Jozy's spell at Sunderland is short - based on my love for Newcastle United, I hope he has a horrible time at Sunderland where they absolutely fail as a club, Jozy does enough to get on the world cup roster, plays brilliantly, and then gets bought by a club I don't despise.

Can't believe so many people are surprised we want Altidore to do well :lol: I put Newcastle and the US on pretty similar levels, with Newcastle a bit more important, but I'm not going to hope my country's only decent striker will be shit in a World Cup year. It's not that I don't hate Sunderland either, it took me a season or two as a fan to really feel it, so I'm not going to hope they do well. Just hope one player does well enough and tests himself in a top league.

Question for Moke and the other traitors:

Would you rather we beat Sunderland 4-0 or beat them 4-3 and Altidore got a hatrick?

Fill-in vote: 4-2 with a Jozy brace, and we started Williamson at CB.

As long as Mike wants to see Altidore do reasonably well and not flop but still wants them as a whole to fail miserably and finish bottom and fuck off out of the league then I don't see the problem.

I can understand the feeling of having empathy with a player from your own country.

I'am from Sweden. And I don't like Sebastian Larsson at all. Especially not now, when he plays the unwashed

Yep, the club means more to us absolutely. Next time someone says differently this thread is a perfect example why a local will always have more feeling for the club.

Not that I don't respect a fan with no connection to the club, thy are in fact the stupidest of the lot, so many better clubs to choose from. But it's fact and its out here in fine example.

I maintain that he's (Jozy) absolutely dead to me unless he puts on the USA shirt, in which he must be a world beater capable of scoring loads of goals for the national team.

Those of you who know me on here, for as long as i've been on here, will have already known my stance on that.

I felt the same about Claudio Reyna, who was worthless to me during his spell at Sunderland, but is someone I highly rate overall. Hopefully Jozy's spell at Sunderland is short - based on my love for Newcastle United, I hope he has a horrible time at Sunderland where they absolutely fail as a club, Jozy does enough to get on the world cup roster, plays brilliantly, and then gets bought by a club I don't despise.

:clap:

well said! :)

Tbh as much as I hate American fans being full of their own self-importance when it comes to the Premier League, you can't moan about us not maximising our revenue under Ashley and be happy with us not pushing ourselves in the increasingly lucrative foreign markets.

In what way? We're proud of our players and want them to do well. I don't say we overrate our players anymore than English fans overrate English players. American players are still highly undervalued and disrespected by many fans and clubs in this league, for whatever reason. But for the most part, American players have enjoyed successful PL careers whenever they've come over.

Sorry this is really, really, REALLY wrong :lol:

I can't think of an England fan on here or in 'real' life that rate many if any England players let alone overrate them. We are cynical/negative or apathetic by default when it comes to our players. The support of the national team has been in sharp decline since as far back as Euro 96.

I would say the general consensus is the other way round, most English people think English players are massively overpriced rubbish who always bottle it when playing for the country. Even players as good as Gerrard and Lampard struggled to put in more than a handful of good performances. We maybe have half a dozen players in the last 10 years who have been able to perform at the level they should be capable of at international tournaments.

Tbh as much as I hate American fans being full of their own self-importance when it comes to the Premier League, you can't moan about us not maximising our revenue under Ashley and be happy with us not pushing ourselves in the increasingly lucrative foreign markets.

In what way? We're proud of our players and want them to do well. I don't say we overrate our players anymore than English fans overrate English players. American players are still highly undervalued and disrespected by many fans and clubs in this league, for whatever reason. But for the most part, American players have enjoyed successful PL careers whenever they've come over.

Sorry this is really, really, REALLY wrong :lol:

I can't think of an England fan on here or in 'real' life that rate many if any England players let alone overrate them. We are cynical/negative or apathetic by default when it comes to our players. The support of the national team has been in sharp decline since as far back as Euro 96.

I would say the general consensus is the other way round, most English people think English players are massively overpriced rubbish who always bottle it when playing for the country. Even players as good as Gerrard and Lampard struggled to put in more than a handful of good performances. We maybe have half a dozen players in the last 10 years who have been able to perform at the level they should be capable of at international tournaments.

:thup:

Wanting mackems to do well and trying to justify it on here :lol:

Question for Moke and the other traitors:

Would you rather we beat Sunderland 4-0 or beat them 4-3 and Altidore got a hatrick?

:lol: I'd rather we won 4-0, because it would be crazy to see us score four goals in 90 minutes.