• Ricky Hatton (Boxing)
    • Andy Murray (Tennis)
    • Monty Panesar (Cricket)
    • Zara Phillips (Equestrian)
    • Phil Taylor (Darts)
    • Beth Tweddle (Gymnastics)

Here are my verdicts:

Jenson Button Formula 1

What did he do: Only won his first grand prix after over 100 attempts. Came a mighty 6th in the Championship.

Likelihood of winning: :3star: Most famous on the list, but the voters will probably realise that he hasn't really done that much yet.

Deservedness of winning: :1star: Not really done much of note, especially when compared to past winners Hill and Mansell.

Joe Calzaghe Boxing

What did he do: Calzaghe's demolition of Lacy, which unified the WBO and IBF belts, was one of the great British world championship performances.

Likelihood of winning: :3star: Has to share the boxers vote with Hatton, but had the bigger success. Boxing is not however a popular sport, especially in the lower weight divisions.

Deservedness of winning: :4star: Has had a superb season at the top of his sport.

Darren Clarke Golf

What did he do: Came back from mourning his wife to collect three crucial points in the Ryder Cup

Likelihood of winning: :5star: Everyone likes a good stoy, and he had a great single moment.

Deservedness of winning: :3star: He himself opposes the sympathy vote. Hasn't really done much else this season compared to other candidates.

Nicole Cooke Cycling

What did she do: Won pretty much every major female road racing title including the Tour de France, the Tour of Italy and the World Cup.

Likelihood of winning: :1star: Most unpopular sport on the list, and most wont have heard of her or be aware of her achievements.

Deservedness of winning: :5star: She has dominated the female cycling division this year more than Lance armstrong ever did in the male division, and won pretty much all the major titles going.

Ricky Hatton Boxing

What did he do: The 'Hitman' gave up his IBF and WBA light welterweight titles to face American Luis Collazo for the WBA welterweight crown in May. He prevailed in a bruising battle, and is now unbeaten with 30 KOs from 41 fights.

Likelihood of winning: :2star: Has to share the boxing vote, and was the slightly less successful season than Calzaghe. Many wont vote for boxing.

Deservedness of winning: :3star: Done well, although not quite as well as Calzaghe.

Andy Murray Tennis

What did he do: Beat Roger Federer and won his first ATP Tour Title in San Jose.

Likelihood of winning: :4star: Big name, and had a decent season, although a little unspectacular.

Deservedness of winning: :1star: Isn't at the top yet. Awarding the prize to him now would make the trophy worthless, especially in future years when he wins it again after tasting Grand Slam Success (hopefully)

Monty Panesar Cricket

What did he do: He shone in the summer Tests, taking eight wickets in the second encounter against Pakistan at Old Trafford.

Likelihood of winning: :5star: Hugely popular figure, and was the one sporting highlight of the summer months.

Deservedness of winning: :4star: Got an incredible wicket haul, although it wasn't in the Ashes - for which he hasn't been selected yet.

Zara Phillips Equestrian

What did she do: Won individual gold and team silver in the Worlds

Likelihood of winning: :4star: Echoes of Princess Anne's victory, and actually reached the top of her sport, giving her a decent claim for the prize.

Deservedness of winning: :4star: Reached the top of her sport, her comparative success is much more than most of the candidates.

Phil Taylor Darts

What did he do: He powered to his 13th world darts championship with a 7-0 whitewash of Peter Manley in the PDC final.

Likelihood of winning: :2star: Debate over whether darts is a sport, and he is actually having a worse season than many when he hasn't even stood.

Deservedness of winning: :3star: Still top of his game but, is slightly off form at the moment.

Beth Tweddle Gymnastics

What did she do: First Brit to win gold

Likelihood of winning: :2star: Gymnastics isn't too popular, and she isnt a big name.

Deservedness of winning: :4star: Winning gold in a sport not generally suited for many of the British genetic features is a strong indication of much hard work.

They should give it to David Walliams. It's been a shit year for all the proper sports (Darts? Fuck off), and none of those have any personality of note anyway.   Dave

Haven't heard of half of em. bluelaugh.gif

Guest Gemmill

Are they all British?

No such thing as "British" anymore. So, no they're not.

Oooo, bit of politics.  Controversial.  bluebigrazz.gif

Guest Ridzuan

Are they all British?

No such thing as "British" anymore. So, no they're not.

Then what you call them? Englishmen?

Guest nufc_geordie

Personally I think that if Joe Calzaghe doesn't win this award it is a disgrace. I think Darren Clarke WILL get the sympathy vote and WILL win, but Calzaghe deserves it more than anyone else on that list. He has reached the pinnacle of his sport, he is the longest reigning british boxing champion in any weight division ever, and he took on America's best and destroyed him in a fight in which he was a massive underdog even with the bookies in this country.

The guy has been overlooked for years when the likes of Lennox Lewis and even Ricky Hatton have been getting their superstart status. Althouhg I am a huge Ricky Hatton fan (went to see him fight in Sheffield earlier this year) Calzaghe deserves his success!

Is Phil 'The Power' Taylor technically a sportsman at all?  bluewink.gif

That reminds me of a classic Sid Waddell moment:  as the camera shows a side view of a middle aged Jocky Wilson at the ocky, complete with fag, large beer gut and several chins, Sid says in all seriousness 

"Jocky Wilson.....what an athlete!"  :lol:

Guest Gemmill

Personally I think that if Joe Calzaghe doesn't win this award it is a disgrace. I think Darren Clarke WILL get the sympathy vote and WILL win, but Calzaghe deserves it more than anyone else on that list. He has reached the pinnacle of his sport, he is the longest reigning british boxing champion in any weight division ever, and he took on America's best and destroyed him in a fight in which he was a massive underdog even with the bookies in this country.

The guy has been overlooked for years when the likes of Lennox Lewis and even Ricky Hatton have been getting their superstart status. Althouhg I am a huge Ricky Hatton fan (went to see him fight in Sheffield earlier this year) Calzaghe deserves his success!

He's got no personality though.  Nobody wants to listen to someone witter on in a singsongy gimpy Welsh accent about how nails they are.  Good boxer like.

He's got no personality though.  Nobody wants to listen to someone witter on in a singsongy gimpy Welsh accent about how nails they are.  Good boxer like.

blueyes.gif  I agree with Gem.  This award is all about profile with the public, which he hasn't got, rather than 'deservedness'.  I reckon if you did a street poll of British boxers, people would be more likely to name Frank Bruno or Chris Eubank than Joe......