Looking to buy SKY HD box for next season's football

Dinho lad

I need to sort out my football channels for next season and so my minimum criteria is being able to get ESPN. It seems that the only way I can get this is by subscribing to BT Sports Pack. (£12 P/M gets you BT Sports 1, 2 and EPSN. Not bad considering I was paying the same price for ESPN only, through Top-up bloody TV.)

Anyway, I'm looking to buy a SKY HD box with a viewing card, so I can subscribe to BT Sports Pack, but I'm not sure which version to buy. (would like the latest one, which I think could be this one - http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/digital-home/3421676/2tb-skyhd-box-review/)

When I go to the Sky website, it seems that it only allows me to buy those HD boxes with a subscription to Sky. But all I'm looking for is a Sky HD with a viewing card.

You'll be lucky to get a box from sky without a sub, unless you pay well over £200 for the privilege, and then there's no sky plus option.

Better option would be to get a 2nd hand standard hd box from someone who has just cancelled their contract, maybe look on ebay/gumtree. I take it you have a dish etc setup already?

According to BT, you only need a Sky "satellite receiver box and viewing card" to be able to subscribe to BT Sports. (Subscription to Sky is not necessary)

The house I live in already has a subscription to Sky (sky box in the living room), I'm looking for a Sky box for my room so I could get BT sports and ESPN.

The person who's subscribing to Sky in my household is actually my brother. Do I simply order another Sky box in his name? (With a unique ID viewing card?)

If you go through Sky they'll want a multi-room package and the extra £10 or whatever it is per month. As already said, you'll probably be able to pick up a second hand one more easily and cheaper. The downside is that you'll not be able to use the DVR (Sky+) with an active subscription, thus making a 2TB box pointless.

If you have the necessary dish and cabling already in place, there are other ways you could go about it.  :whistle:

Don't know what to get now.

(Not necessarily looking for a 2TB, btw. 250Gb would do for me.)

but if you don't go down the "official" route the hdd space is no use as you wont be able to use the sky + side of it. You may as well get a sky hd box that has no hdd in.

If you already have sky then multi room is by far the easiest way to go and still have all the functionality.

Yeah, but I don't really want to pay for the Multi-room package.

My minimum criteria is that I find a box that records (250GB would do) Freeview and still be able to subscribe to BT sport. (1,2 and ESPN)

Basically that's the £12 p/m package that I'm looking for. (Would be happy to pay for one-off fees such as for the box, subscription star-up fee, etc)

ok, then you are limiting yourself as to what you can do then, you used to be able to buy a freesat card from sky for £20 ish one off payment that got you basic channels, still need a box though.

ok, then you are limiting yourself as to what you can do then, you used to be able to buy a freesat card from sky for £20 ish one off payment that got you basic channels, still need a box though.

I've actually already got a recording box that has a slot for a card. (The box came with a Top-Up TV card where I subscribed to ESPN through that.)

Do I just buy a freesat card to replace the Top-up TV one? and then I'd be able to subscribe to BT??