SEO - Advice,

Crumpy Gunt

I think I'm going to need to make my website more visible in searches.

I've a (very) basic idea of how it works.

Are there any experts who can...

Let me know how easy / difficult it is?

Is it a long / short term project? (although I'm thinking it may be on going)

How does it work with regards to accessing the site?

Will it put me 'on page one'?

Costs - initial and on going? I get spam emails which offer the service for a price which is likely out of reach to a one man band like myself. Had a fella on te phone trying to convince me he'd put me 'on page 1' but wanted £150pm x 6 months.

Please PM any info which might be of use.

Thanks in anticipation.

My mam (50) did it herself to get her business to be top hit on page 1 on Google. I haven't any experience in it myself other than that, but it was more just long slogging work rather than particularly technical.

I would say SEO consultants on the whole will start by selling you a load of stuff you could do yourself.

Depends on the nature of your business and the customers you're trying to reach... you don't have much chance of beating amazon on searches for 'cheap books' but you have a fair chance of being top for 'painters and decorators in walker'.

A lot of the foundation stuff is basic. Google is less easy to fool by stuffing your site with keywords etc now, much better to have actual content that helps your visitors.

Guest Howaythetoon

I would say SEO consultants on the whole will start by selling you a load of stuff you could do yourself.

Depends on the nature of your business and the customers you're trying to reach... you don't have much chance of beating amazon on searches for 'cheap books' but you have a fair chance of being top for 'painters and decorators in walker'.

A lot of the foundation stuff is basic. Google is less easy to fool by stuffing your site with keywords etc now, much better to have actual content that helps your visitors.

Aye. Good quality content and good quality back links from good quality websites is often all it takes if you're a niche or in a small market. There is still a system though, or rather a way to build a page for a search engine.

Careful of backlinks and reciprocal links. Especially the latter as Google doesn't like those.

Basically the fact is Google's very clever algorithms are after one thing...the truth/honesty.

Someone who tries every trick in the book could easily do far worse than someone who is just publishing honest content.

Lots of visits helps but that's a chicken and egg thing.

Forums are fantastic for search engines as the pages are chocka full of content relevant to the title etc etc.

SEO is big business and a lot of it is bullshit just to get a living. DIY is a piece of piss...with patience. Because manipulating your fast way to top page will involve constant input, time and money. Honestly climbing to the top page will be effortless.

:thup:

If you haven't done so already, get yourself on here:

https://www.google.com/local/business/add/info

It basically gets you a shortcut to the top of the relevant search results for local searches

Google+ is growing too, and in my experience anything being pushed by Google is worth being on:

http://www.google.com/+/business/

Get on here too:

http://www.yell.com/free-listing/

And if you don't have a Facebook business page, set one up - official Facebook pages are increasingly ranking above actual sites these days:

https://www.facebook.com/business/build

All of this is free (apart from your time obviously) and will make a big difference pretty quickly.

Guest Howaythetoon

Careful of backlinks and reciprocal links. Especially the latter as Google doesn't like those.

Basically the fact is Google's very clever algorithms are after one thing...the truth/honesty.

Someone who tries every trick in the book could easily do far worse than someone who is just publishing honest content.

Forums are fantastic for search engines as the pages are chocka full of content relevant to the title etc etc.

SEO is big business and a lot of it is bullshit just to get a living. DIY is a piece of p*ss...with patience. Because manipulating your fast way to top page will involve constant input, time and money. Honestly climbing to the top page will be effortless.

And yet Google is almost entirely full of spam sites and junk content type of sites, sites that rank high in the serps and do well. That is mainly down to SEO trickery of course but also because Google is still a flawed SE. And while Google preaches good practices, they are all about making money above anything else. They are not altruistic.

Backlinks and reciprocal links are fine, but the ultimate aim is to get other sites, good sites, related to your own, to link to you because they want their own users/readers/whatever to see your site/content.

SEO is huge business, but as you said a lot of it, in fact 90% of it is bluff.

SEO is big business and a lot of it is bullshit just to get a living. DIY is a piece of p*ss...with patience. Because manipulating your fast way to top page will involve constant input, time and money. Honestly climbing to the top page will be effortless.

And yet Google is almost entirely full of spam sites and junk content type of sites, sites that rank high in the serps and do well. That is mainly down to SEO trickery of course but also because Google is still a flawed SE. And while Google preaches good practices, they are all about making money above anything else. They are not altruistic.

Backlinks and reciprocal links are fine, but the ultimate aim is to get other sites, good sites, related to your own, to link to you because they want their own users/readers/whatever to see your site/content.

The only thing that's bluff is when someone says SEO alone will get top best spots. It is very useful to know about though as it can be a good component in the bigger picture.

Mark your title as an <h1> rather than a unique CSS style, and include something like 'Driving lessons in...' instead of 'serving..'

Also a quick rewrite of your intro copy would help.

There's a typo in your site title: "AJH School of Motoring - Serving North Shields, Tynemouth, Whitley Bay, Monkseaton, Howden, Wallsen"

Maybe a reorder to something like "Driving lessons in North Shields, Tynemouth, Whitley Bay, Monkseaton, Howden, Wallsend - AJH School of Motoring"

(I'm assuming people are a lot more likely to search for driving lessons than 'school of motoring':

http://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=driving+lessons%2C+school+of+motoring#q=driving%20lessons%2C%20school%20of%20motoring&geo=GB&date=today%2012-m&cmpt=q

Edit: and what HTT said!

Guest Howaythetoon

Cheers, will have a browse through the links when I've got an hour spare.

www.ajhsom.co.uk

Want to try and raise its profile locally rather than anything beyond Newcastle.

I'm not being funny but that is a very poor site & domain name. And what is this, if I hover over Prices for example the URL is http://www.liamclayton.com/websites/ajhsom/prices.php

That's bad that.

Get yourself a domain name that contains what you do/who you are. EG newcastledrivinglessons.com

Install Wordpress to that domain as Google loves it and its very SEO friendly and very easy to use and of course maintain. There are thousands of free themes and some very good themes to buy. That way you can control it and update it. There are lots of useful widgets and plugins that can be really beneficial too, especially in the form of online booking.

If you're covering the whole of Tyneside build your site and create an areas you cover page and list the areas, but don't just leave it at that, create a page for say Wallsend, /driving-lessons-wallsend/ for example and so on and so on.

In my experience and research of building websites for over a decade now, people search for services first, area second. I.e. Joiner Newcastle. Many make the mistake of building a page for example the wrong way around like Newcastle Joiner (newcastle-joiner.htm)

Such little things can have huge impacts on your rankings.

The good thing with Wordpress is it can hook up to your social stuff too, twitter and facebook and linkdin. You have to get into those because, well, everyone uses them.

If you personally can't do it its worth spending upto a grand on getting someone to build you a half decent word-press business type blog site to start you off.

When you do build a site, unique content is the key. Google loves good unique content, well written and well presented in the right type of markup.

Interlink on your site and deep link too. create a sitemap, an xml one and a html one and submit them to Google. Join Google. Get listed. Get a profile etc. Even advertise with them.

For local searches a lot of business type directory sites rank high and while most wont allow you to link to your website, they will let you put up your contact number etc. and lots of people use these directories to get numbers to then call. Its free and there are hundreds, its laborious but it will pay off.

As ever in your game though Crumpy, word of mouth is essential so facebook and twitter could be really good for you.

Guest Howaythetoon

The only thing that's bluff is when someone says SEO alone will get top best spots. It is very useful to know about though as it can be a good component in the bigger picture.

SEO is essential but so is marketing and other forms of promotion, online and offline, to any business really.

A good quality website that is updated regularly with fresh unique content that sticks around, will rise to the top eventually.

Although you never want to be number 1, its always best to be about 3rd and if you can, get somewhere down at the bottom of the page as well. People shop around...

Guest Howaythetoon

Your site, tries to take me away from it as soon as I visit with the 3rd party link to the driving theory site thing. That's bad and needs done away with from the main header.

You don't need "school of motoring", no-one will use that. You don't need all those keywords in your title tag too, yes you cover them areas but you're diluting your main keyword. If you build seperate pages and build them well for all those areas, they should rank well on their own.

There is no social network icons and its a very bland and unappealing website.

There is no L icon either or a P icon. Those are the two most recognizable and impactive icons to a would be learner driver.

Wordpress Learner Driver Lesson type themes

http://drivingschooltheme.com/demo/

http://www.simple-templates.com/website.php?template=300111616

Guest Howaythetoon

You are at the bottom of page 3 for the keyword search string Driving Instructor North Shields and that is basically like being out of space.

Your keyword, page copy markup, description and other tags is all wrong.

Yet for Driving Lessons Tynemouth you're on the first page for non advertised natural listings. Tweaking things could have you number 1 or 2 or 3 or even in there a few times though.

Use Google's keyword search tool and check out your competition, where do they rank, for what keywords, areas etc.

Thanks for the input fellas. A lot of it is beyond my comprehension but I get the drift in general. The wording on the site I can ask to be changed.

Would setting a site up on something like WIX or 1and1 be any good? Just thinking 'out loud'

I don't have a twitter. Shuld I set up in my name or as AJHSOM?

Facebook is ajh school of motoring (do I just try and get as many 'likes' as possible?)

Guest Howaythetoon

No to 1£1, you're better off hiring a web designer and spending upto 1k max which should get you a very decent site. You need to be fully sociable, so Twitter without a doubt. Facebook... get all your friends to like and share your page. Let things grow and develop organically though. My best advice, a Wordpress blog skinned as a business. There are SEO plugins that do most of the work for you.