Sky Router Thinks we have 13mbps coming in...we don't.

shido

Been having this problem for ages but basically:

We have Sky unlimited broad band with a sky line rental and phone.

Best speed we get on most devices around the house is max 700kbps.

Sky support were pretty good and we found out that the Sky netgear modem router has about 13mbps coming in which they tested on their system and I saw it on the router setting pages.

She talked to another dude in support who could see the router is getting 13mbps but isn't giving it out (no shit).

So suggestion was to try another router. I've borrowed one of the new airport extreme's from a friend (and I know thats only a base station router and not a modem) but thats giving me the exact same results.

So i'm gonna try find someone with another sky modem router to see if that works...but if not...

any ideas?

My main mac is wired (via power over ethernet)

Tons of other wireless devices

Yeah I've used a bunch of speed tests this is what i get (for the wired mac):

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2846606991.png

Even if I got that speed it says there I'd be stoked!

My download speed for things like steam, etc is always between 400-700kbps

Hmmm, that's a strange one. So none of the devices can actually connect at the same speed that the router is showing? Logic would say try the other router and see if it helps. I actually used to work for Sky Broadband support a few years ago. At that time it was all locked, and you could only use the router that was supplied to you, but I assume that has changed in the last 8 years. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure how much more help I'd expect from Sky. If the router is showing 13Mbps, then they'll be able to say that's what you're getting and the problem must be on your end. It's shit, but expect them to try and fob you off. I realise I've not been much help, but the second router should give you some answers one way or another. :lol:

Actually, can you put your Sky details into the other router you got from your mate, or did you just plug it in and test the DSL signal?

The Airport extreme worked great because it pretty much bypasses all the sky login stuff and creates its own network which had exactly the same speeds despite the face it's one of the best routers you can get (apparently..)

Yeah I'm thinking its gonna be the ultimate test with another router. If that doesn't work we're boned.

Though part of me thinks Sky support have just read it wrong and you're only getting 1.3meg because it's 1.3meg not 13. :lol:

Have you been on Streetstats to see what others in your street/area are getting?

Streetstats seems to show a few sky people around getting 15mbps

Admittedly 1 about 5 streets away is 0.3mbps...shiiiiiieeet.

Master socket meaning the little micro filter thing from the wall? Or on the router the one with a green box?

Can you post a screencap of your router's homepage to see if it is actually displaying 13000 kbps+ ?

A cap of your wireless settings page with the wireless password deleted as well, if you could.

192.168.0.1 is the address and "admin" / "sky" is typically the default username / password, in case you haven't been on there.

Streetstats seems to show a few sky people around getting 15mbps

Admittedly 1 about 5 streets away is 0.3mbps...shiiiiiieeet.

Master socket meaning the little micro filter thing from the wall? Or on the router the one with a green box?

Master socket as in taking the front off the very first BT socket in your house where it comes in. Just isolates any interference on your phone setup that's all.

Are you sure they're not throttling your account for any reason? You're not paying for a cheaper/slower package or anything?

There's no reason why you shouldn't be getting 10meg+ looking at that.

So i unscrew that face plate and plug the main thing into the socket thats hidden behind that??

Alright I'll give it a go....

Yeah, means ONLY your router is plugged in (disconnect the other shit from the filter as well). It might not make a difference at all, but you need to eliminate it as a cause. Have you tried a different microfilter btw?

Ok plugged into the master socket and unplugged all the other shit just with the modem connection in the micro filter and exactly the same results.... Average 300-500kbps...

Could the micro filter be at fault?? I guess I'll find by buying a new one! Man this is crazy...

See if you can borrow one from a friend. If you're buying, consider a proper filtered faceplate instead. If nothing else, they're miles neater. They just replace that bottom half you unscrewed. BT do one of their own.

Ok the saga continues...tried a tiny little micro filter. Ran a speed test which hit 7mbps (I guess cause it's 9 in the morning) and download speeds on steam are once again around 500-700 peaking at 900.

So we've pretty much eliminated every single thing that it could be right? Unless I'm missing something....

Ok the saga continues...tried a tiny little micro filter. Ran a speed test which hit 7mbps (I guess cause it's 9 in the morning) and download speeds on steam are once again around 500-700 peaking at 900.

So we've pretty much eliminated every single thing that it could be right? Unless I'm missing something....

When you say your steam downloads are between 500 and 900, I assume that's KB/s? If so, then you're actually getting a decent speed (in the region of 4mbps - 7mbps). Not wanting to sound like a condescending asshole, but you know that your broadband speed is listed in mbps/kbps (bits), and your download speed in steam will be mBps/kBps (bytes). If you've run the speed test again, and it's showing 7mbps, then I would think that the change in microfilter has helped. Check it again at different times and see if you're still getting a reasonable speed. Clearly it's still not the 13mbps that you should be getting, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.