Language Corner

Village Idiot

So, I thought about opening a thread for all of us foreigners with the occasional interest or doubt about the English language, or for all the English speakers here that have questions about the languages of all the dirty furreiners that abound this place :thup:

I'm not going to help my standing here, but I have a question for a dialogue I'm writing:

- A: Why are you watching this s***?

- B: I get a hard-on off it.

Is "Get a hard-on off it" gramatically correct? Prepositions are my bane.

It amazes me when I see the grasp, no not grasp, the mastery you foreign lads on here have of the English language. You're better at it than me and probably at least 50% of the locals on here :lol:

Brings me back to the argument me and wor lass had on holiday in Spain arguing over how to address a barmaid in a polite manner. pitiful.

I'm going to Germany in September so will be trying to improve my grasp of the language before then.

Hated masculine/feminine verbs when learning French and German at school.

Yeah I hate this too. Also the formal/informal thing, I'd hate to offend anyone. :lol:

Most the Germans I spoke to in Munich found it easier to just converse in English more than me ruining their language with my basic GCSE grasp. Always good to try though.

Going to start taking Spanish lessons in September :)

I'm going to Germany in September so will be trying to improve my grasp of the language before then.

Hated masculine/feminine verbs when learning French and German at school.

Yeah I hate this too. Also the formal/informal thing, I'd hate to offend anyone. :lol:

Where in Germany are you going Jill?

Most the Germans I spoke to in Munich found it easier to just converse in English more than me ruining their language with my basic GCSE grasp. Always good to try though.

Where's this at? As far as languages go, out of the 3 I've tried to speak in any volume, Spanish is the easiest. Probably helped by my GCSE.

It amazes me when I see the grasp, no not grasp, the mastery you foreign lads on here have of the English language. You're better at it than me and probably at least 50% of the locals on here :lol:

Thanks mate, appreciate that.  :thup:

Where's this at? As far as languages go, out of the 3 I've tried to speak in any volume, Spanish is the easiest. Probably helped by my GCSE.

Just through the council in Gossy. Been wanting to do it for ages, not that I'll use it much if at all.

Just through the council in Gossy. Been wanting to do it for ages, not that I'll use it much if at all.

Best language to know imo, apart from English, obviously. Especially for you and your love of all things S America.

I'd say I speak 1.5 at the moment.  English and I can get by in Spanish (comes in handy in Florida).  And I can get the gist of what is happening (in writing more than speech) when it comes to French but definitely can't speak it.  Taking French this Fall and then Spring though so hopefully come next Summer I'll have a much better grasp on it.

Fully get Norwegian and English. (Swedish and Danish as well, but it's pretty much just variations of the same base language so don't count them.) I can understand some Spanish in written form from school, not at all when spoken. Know some Sapmi due to my grandfather and can understand some Icelandic, would 't really want to claim much knowledge in the latter two though. More like knowing some words and base sentences.