Kerbal Space Program

Mike

Anyone have that Kerbal Space Progam? What's the learning curve like?

I'd imagine it's much too hard for you Mike. Decky said it's pretty tough.

:lol: Fuck you, then.

Anyone have that Kerbal Space Progam? What's the learning curve like?

It's good, but it is quite difficult. The only mode available right now is "sandbox", which lets you design and develop rockets freely. I think this actually makes it harder to start with, as you can be overwhelmed by choices and how to build your designs. I've so far only been able to get a fleeting trip into space, with my shuttle plummeting to earth a few minutes after breaking the atmosphere. My advice would be to start small and build your way up. Might give it another blast now. :)

There are actually stock rockets in the game. It took me about a week to get a rocket into orbit, but seriously, it's fun as fuck trying. And when you master orbiting rockets you just fuck about building all kinds of shit. So far I've satellites orbiting Kerbal, Mun and the ice moon that orbits Kerbal. I've a space station around Kerbal and 4 manned bases on Mun, as well as a rover up there too for them to drive around in.

Basically learn to orbit around Kerbal, once you do that, it's all about going to the highest and lowest points of the orbit and doing burns to extend the orbit on the opposite side, reaching out to places like Mun. You can take your satellite close enough to the Sun by doing just that and nothing else. The Mun is handy enough to get to, once you've got your orbit stretched out to the Mun orbit, just fast forward time until you get a Mun encounter, then you need to adjust your orbit further to get a Mun capture and then work the orbit there.

There's a cracking auto pilot mod out there that I'll share later. But some of the more advanced stuff is insane. People building giant space ships out there. Launching planes from the air strip and flying to distance moons etc. Youtube has some serious shit. It's a hard game, but rewarding and fun.

Currently downloading Kerbal Space Program:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/220200/

It's mean't to be pretty decent.

People should check this out if they're in to space and that. It's pretty hard though, every time I build a rocket it doesn't make it out of Earth's atmosphere. :lol: People are building space stations and shit and I can't even get Sputnik beyond the clouds. You can send missions to the Moon and all if you're good. I need to get the hang of this shit.

:pow:

It's still a beta programme so there's loads that still has to be added to the game.  I've found it very difficult without the autopilot mod, even getting into a stable orbit is tough (especially as that's one thing that isn't covered in the tutorials).  It's fun making giant rockets and wondering if you've created something that'll reach orbit or just detonate on the launch pad though.

This is this autopilot mod:

http://kerbalspaceport.com/mechjeb/

This is how easy it is to use:

http://i.imgur.com/HSuUn.png

:lol: You do get the hang of it though.

You have to know what all that shit does?

Nah. :lol: You just have different things open at different times to help with whatever you're trying to do. Some of it is pretty easy. The ascension one, you basically just put in the degrees and the altitude you want to go to and then launch and it'll sort out your orbit. 

:lol: It's that hard to get into space? Shit.

You need to find the perfect balance between weight and fuel. You basically just go vertical for about 80km then go to an angle (90 degrees for Mun) and follow that angle, keeping an eye on your orbital map to work your orbit. Get it on man, do the tutorials and just have fun with it. You should see how hard it is to get a heavy as fuck space station up there.

I love the different stages in launching too. Getting rid of empty fuel cells and blasting them away with new rockets. :megusta:

man I was so close to grabbing this the last day of the sale but thought I wouldn't be able to handle all the science stuff...now all you guys are playing it....

You really should all be on Dota 2...