Parkinson and Hull part company

Delima

The Guardian

Parkinson and Hull part company

Staff and agencies

Monday December 4, 2006

Guardian Unlimited

Hull have parted company with manager Phil Parkinson, less than six months after his appointment.

Following Peter Taylor's defection to Crystal Palace in the summer, Parkinson arrived at the KC Stadium with a reputation as one of the game's brightest young managers. Having guided Colchester to promotion to the second tier for the first time in the club's history last season, Parkinson's achievements at Layer Road persuaded Hull chairman Adam Pearson to pay the Essex club £400,000 in compensation for his services.

However, despite being handed more than £2million to spend on new players, Parkinson failed to conjure any kind of consistency from his side, who are second from bottom of the Championship.

A humiliating 5-1 defeat at Colchester last Tuesday, described as "totally unacceptable" by Pearson, was followed by a weekend 4-2 home defeat against Southampton.

The Hull chairman said: "It is with regret that on behalf of Hull City I wish to announce the departure of manager Phil Parkinson, a course of action myself and Phil reluctantly confirmed this morning.

"The club would like to thank Phil for all of his undoubted hard work and unstinting commitment to the role of manager over the last four months.

"Unfortunately results have not gone the way either Phil or the club would wish.

"On behalf of everyone connected to Hull City I would like to wish Phil all the very best for his future managerial career where he is sure to go on and achieve significant future success in the game."

Pearson confirmed first-team coach Phil Brown and assistant-manager Colin Murphy will assume control of first-team duties while he seeks a permanent successor.

PS

NUFC - Anything and everything related to Newcastle United. Non-NUFC football talk also welcome here.

Guest Gemmill

I'm all for non-NUFC stuff getting posted in here, but you could try and make it vaguely interesting.  You deserve everything you get for starting this one tbh.

In my opinion Hull is unwise to dismiss Phil Parkinson. True that Hull are not doing well under Parkinson but this is only his first season. With Parkinson gone, who else is available? Parkinson is one of the up and coming prospectful English manager, apparently one of the highest qualified manager in the Championship. All factors point to that he is a progressive coach with good future, sack him for who?

Southend, Colchester and Barnsley were promoted to the Championship this year, with none of them doing well. It is of course Parkinson's fault that Hull are lying low at the moment, but i say give him more time. There is huge gulf between the Premiership and the Championship, there is also one between the Championship and the Football League.

West Brom sacked Byran Robson (a seasoned manager) for Tony Mowbray (a promising manager), the result is a steep decline of performance. Peter Grant hasn't done anything that suggests he is better than Nigel Worthington. Sunderland went through a bit of inconsistency after the honeymoon period.

Who to replace Parkinson? There isn't any realistic hope of promotion for Ull this year. So it is pointless hoping to earn a share of premiership TV windfall by importing a new manager. Shame that this happens when Hull has one of the most progressive chairman, Adam Person, in the league.

I'm all for non-NUFC stuff getting posted in here, but you could try and make it vaguely interesting.  You deserve everything you get for starting this one tbh.

Sorry Gemmil, after posting the article I am writing my opinions in a separate message. Maybe I should have put my opinions in the first message,.

Guest Gemmill

Sorry Gemmil, after posting the article I am writing my opinions in a separate message. Maybe I should have put my opinions in the first message,.

I'm gonna let you off this time Delima.  We all make mistakes.  Just be more careful in future though eh?

Guest nufc_geordie

If this guy is as qualified as is being made out, and I for one thought he would do a good job at Hull after what he achieved with Colchester, is there any room for thought of appointing him as a coach at Newcastle?

I know this point hasn't crossed the minds of anyone connected with the club in an official fashion, but given our current coaching staff and the fact he is young and ambitious it may be worth a punt bringing him in and seeing what happens?

Assuming Pearson would go for an British man to succeed Parkinson, would he take any of the following?

Nigel Worthington

Graeme Souness

Bryan Robson

David O'leary

Glenn Hoddle

Iain Dowie

Nigel Worthington won the Championship with Norwich few years ago, but his reputation has been tarnished by how he exit Norwich FC. Iain Dowie is perhaps the candidate Pearson has in mind to replace Parkinson, but is Dowie the man to steer Hull into the premiership?

I think that Dowie is vastly overrated, and Charlton were absolutely right to give Dowie a nice booting after 12 matches. Crystal palace were lucky to be promoted to the premiership in 2004, but after they were relegated in 2005, they could not repeat the same achievement in 2006. 3 years in Crystal Palace, it is a quite a long time.

Dowie for Parkinson, unnessarily and risky gamble I feel. Maybe a surprise candidate is somewhere in the pocket!

If this guy is as qualified as is being made out, and I for one thought he would do a good job at Hull after what he achieved with Colchester, is there any room for thought of appointing him as a coach at Newcastle?

I know this point hasn't crossed the minds of anyone connected with the club in an official fashion, but given our current coaching staff and the fact he is young and ambitious it may be worth a punt bringing him in and seeing what happens?

Honestly, we simply need a lot more bodies in our coaching hierachy.

I prefer to bring in a new club chairman. If that's not possible, a new manager. If that's not possible, some new good physios. If that's not possible, some new coaching stuff. If that's not possible, some new signings.

If that's not possible, some new sets of fan who are happy to settle for mediocre situation.

In my opinion Hull is unwise to dismiss Phil Parkinson. True that Hull are not doing well under Parkinson but this is only his first season. With Parkinson gone, who else is available? Parkinson is one of the up and coming prospectful English manager, apparently one of the highest qualified manager in the Championship. All factors point to that he is a progressive coach with good future, sack him for who?

Southend, Colchester and Barnsley were promoted to the Championship this year, with none of them doing well. It is of course Parkinson's fault that Hull are lying low at the moment, but i say give him more time. There is huge gulf between the Premiership and the Championship, there is also one between the Championship and the Football League.

West Brom sacked Byran Robson (a seasoned manager) for Tony Mowbray (a promising manager), the result is a steep decline of performance. Peter Grant hasn't done anything that suggests he is better than Nigel Worthington. Sunderland went through a bit of inconsistency after the honeymoon period.

Who to replace Parkinson? There isn't any realistic hope of promotion for Ull this year. So it is pointless hoping to earn a share of premiership TV windfall by importing a new manager. Shame that this happens when Hull has one of the most progressive chairman, Adam Person, in the league.

I'd say Colchester are doing magnificently considering their gates/revenue/stature. They're on great form - top scorers in the leage too

You can be the most qualified manager in the world but if your not getting results then your gonna be out of a job.

Colchester are 10th and Barnsley are 5 pionts ahead of Hull.

I think he had to be sacked. Form has not been good this year and the signings he has made have been terrible. It is vital for Hull to stay in the Championship and they gave the guy £2m to spend (which for Hull is a lot of money) when he came and he failed to buy 1 good player. The problem Pearson had was he knew he needed to improve the squad in January but didn't trut Parkinson to do it.

Guest shaun11177

Parkinson is maybe a good coach but that doesnt always translate into a good manager.It would seem that his former no2 the current manager of colchester might have been the one doing the motivation and without him?

Parkinson just hasnt put any fire into Hull this season.Also spent 2m but the side is worse than last season.

I live in Hull but dont support them and i just hope they get Souness!. 

Things were never the same after Parkinson got attacked by that bird.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/295000/images/_298958_parky_attack.jpg

You can be the most qualified manager in the world but if your not getting results then your gonna be out of a job.

I think he had to be sacked. Form has not been good this year and the signings he has made have been terrible. It is vital for Hull to stay in the Championship and they gave the guy £2m to spend (which for Hull is a lot of money) when he came and he failed to buy 1 good player. The problem Pearson had was he knew he needed to improve the squad in January but didn't trut Parkinson to do it.

I understand that the manager is the one responsible for the team result. But is the sacking of Parkinson the best solution at the moment? Phil Brown was a failure in Derby County. I would like to know on what basis Pearson is confident that the new manager would do better than Parkinson? There is no chance for Hull to advance into premiership next year, so simply staying in the Championship would do for the club. Is Parkinson really that poor that he is deem unfit to safeguard Hull's position? Don't forget he was the one who against all odds propelled Colchester into the Championship. Every manager deserves a period of time before he is judged, unless he has done something fundamentally wrong. If Hull under Phil Brown does not do well, what is Pearson going to do?

As I said maybe Pearson has someone in his mind, but who? Shepherd sacked Dalglish for Gullit :(, sacked Gullit for Robson :), sacked Robson for Souness :(, sacked Souness for Roeder :(. Dowie for Hull? Sorry IMHO Dowie could be good for championship but what exactly has he achieved? Pearson might as well stick with Parkinson and see if fortune improves? Charlton has everything to lose for if they stick with Iain Dowie. But in the contrary Hull has little to lose (Championship survival shouldn't be beyond Parkinson's ability).

Pearson has made a wrong decision.

Parkinson is maybe a good coach but that doesnt always translate into a good manager.It would seem that his former no2 the current manager of colchester might have been the one doing the motivation and without him?

Parkinson just hasnt put any fire into Hull this season.Also spent 2m but the side is worse than last season.

I live in Hull but dont support them and i just hope they get Souness!. 

Geraint Williams was in Colchester even before Parkinson. And their results pre-Parkinson wasn't good. Would Adam Pearson hand out another 2 million to the new manager in January transfer window?

He deserves to be sacked.  Hull are woeful.  How we only put 1 past them I don't know.  They offer very little in the way of opposition apart from flinging defenders desperately in front of the ball when ever the  opposition are around the box.  And tbh conceding 9 in a week is pretty bad. Considering 5 were scored by Colchester, who aren't that bad, but aren't exactly that good either.  Although Southampton look very good, but you shouldn't concede 4 at home. (and yes I know we've done it, don't remind me).

I'd say Colchester are doing magnificently considering their gates/revenue/stature. They're on great form - top scorers in the leage too

Couldn't disagree. Poor observation by me on this part.

That's a first.

Did anyone notice Iain Dowie's tie tonight?  He might as well have had a tiger t shirt on with a picture of the humber bridge behind, can't think of anything else Hull related apart from ugly people and easy lasses.

Iain Dowie blatantly new Hull manager.

Guest Invicta_Toon

I understand that the manager is the one responsible for the team result. But is the sacking of Parkinson the best solution at the moment? Phil Brown was a failure in Derby County. I would like to know on what basis Pearson is confident that the new manager would do better than Parkinson? There is no chance for Hull to advance into premiership next year, so simply staying in the Championship would do for the club. Is Parkinson really that poor that he is deem unfit to safeguard Hull's position? Don't forget he was the one who against all odds propelled Colchester into the Championship. Every manager deserves a period of time before he is judged, unless he has done something fundamentally wrong. If Hull under Phil Brown does not do well, what is Pearson going to do?

As I said maybe Pearson has someone in his mind, but who? Shepherd sacked Dalglish for Gullit :(, sacked Gullit for Robson :), sacked Robson for Souness :(, sacked Souness for Roeder :(. Dowie for Hull? Sorry IMHO Dowie could be good for championship but what exactly has he achieved? Pearson might as well stick with Parkinson and see if fortune improves? Charlton has everything to lose for if they stick with Iain Dowie. But in the contrary Hull has little to lose (Championship survival shouldn't be beyond Parkinson's ability).

Pearson has made a wrong decision.