English/British talent we should be recruiting

TRon

Some of the other threads are getting diverted by this subject so it deserves a separate discussion IMO. Which players, young or old do you think we should be pursuing from these shores that could do a better job than recruiting from abroad?

Personally I wouldn't mind Downing for the right package. Not flash maybe, but would provide better service than Obertan or Jonas. Bit of a bottler mind, and doesn't provide much in the way of goals either, but at least he can cross the ball.

Anyone of equal ability to who we are scouting from abroad available for the same/less money.

Don't agree with paying a premium for nationality and if we want players with more of an attachment to the club we either go back to a time where football was more than just a highly paid job, or invest in the academy to bring players through. A young player bought from London will have no more affinity to the club than one bought from Paris.

James Mcarthy is one we are supposedly after. Can't say I saw that much more in him than Tiote, but he's probably more intelligent. But £15m?

Not sure where the Tiote comparisons are coming from man, both very different. McCarthy is more your all action centre mid who gets up and down the pitch, he's very talented and has a lot to his game. Tiote as we know should be a destroyer who supplies the creatives.

James Mcarthy is one we are supposedly after. Can't say I saw that much more in him than Tiote, but he's probably more intelligent. But £15m?

Not sure where the Tiote comparisons are coming from man, both very different. McCarthy is more your all action centre mid who gets up and down the pitch, he's very talented and has a lot to his game. Tiote as we know should be a destroyer who supplies the creatives.

I never really paid much attention to him previously, my comments are based on watching a youtube clip where he was mainly winning the ball and giving it, similar to Nicky Butt. You will obviously know a lot more about him than me.

I want more British players fro footballing reasons. the only great/trophy winning sides to play with barely any English players is The Invincibles" Arsenal side. They had two starters at the back - Campbell and Cole. Keown was a presence off the bench. And even then Vieira had joined Arsenal at 20, Ljungberg & Toure since 21. With the first two in their 6th/7th PL campaigns.

Guest bimpy474

Anyone of equal ability to who we are scouting from abroad available for the same/less money.

Don't agree with paying a premium for nationality and if we want players with more of an attachment to the club we either go back to a time where football was more than just a highly paid job, or invest in the academy to bring players through. A young player bought from London will have no more affinity to the club than one bought from Paris.

I cant bold part of a post because i'm at work but your last sentence about being from London or Paris is spot on.

I agree with this. I know where people are coming from when they say they want a core of English players, but we shouldn't just be buying English for the sake of it, it has to be with the view to improving the team. There's no point in spending millions on young British players then getting spanked off Swansea because they've recruited some  international striker from Slovakia who scores a hatrick against us.

I want more British players fro footballing reasons. the only great/trophy winning sides to play with barely any English players is The Invincibles" Arsenal side. They had two starters at the back - Campbell and Cole. Keown was a presence off the bench. And even then Vieira had joined Arsenal at 20, Ljungberg & Toure since 21. With the first two in their 6th/7th PL campaigns.

What British players are around at the moment (that are realistic, ie we aren't getting Wilshere any time soon)?

What British players are around at the moment (that are realistic, ie we aren't getting Wilshere any time soon)?

I'd bring in a LW - Ince, Sinclair, McManaman, Hoilett (brought up in English football