Neo-Nazi on course to get seats in German Parliament.

Parky

http://www.guardian.co.uk/farright/story/0,,1873383,00.html

"Germany's racist neo-Nazi party is poised to make a stunning breakthrough during elections this weekend, entering a regional parliament for the second time in three years, polls suggest.

According to a poll for ZDF television the far-right National Party of Germany (NPD) is likely to win 7% of the vote in elections on Sunday in the north-east state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Another Infratest poll puts the party on 6%.

The projected result is above Germany's 5% hurdle - and means the far-right MPs will sit in the parliament for the first time. "We are very confident. It's extremely likely we are going to make it," Michael Andrejewski, the NPD's candidate in its stronghold town of Anklam, told the Guardian today."

Poverty at record levels in the East as well as high unemployment...Powderkeg tbh. blueeek.gif blueeek.gif

The thing is there is no easy way around it. The Govt are already pumping €14billion a year into the East for job creation and infastructure. But at a time when the German economy as a whole isn't creating many new jobs it will be an uphill task.

On the bright side house prices in the East are at an all time low. bluewink.gif

But you always one or two like them in politics, the thing is not to give them the publicity that they seek, but unfortunately the stupid media always thinks there is a good story to be told, so these pricks will always get publicity that they are after.

this is what happens with proportional representation people!

True, it's still more deep rooted than the way they vote though.  Changing the way votes are counted isn't going to stop X% of a country being racist faggots.

this is what happens with proportional representation people!

True, it's still more deep rooted than the way they vote though. Changing the way votes are counted isn't going to stop X% of a country being racist faggots.

Correct, but it's going to stop sheep jumping on the bandwagon when it starts to gain momnetum...

I think with the PR here they only have to go past 5% of the vote or summat.

The way I look at things and no matter how objectionable it feels to us...Nazi's should have a voice if they go through the democratic process. I totally beleive in their right as much as anyone elses.

The way I look at things and no matter how objectionable it feels to us...Nazi's should have a voice if they go through the democratic process. I totally beleive in their right as much as anyone elses.

Until they bring forth the dissolution of their own government into a totalitarian dictatorship. Oh, the woe of it all.

Guest optimistic nit

but if they were to use their right to discriminate and incite hatred against other races and religions then should you not remove it?

You'd hope they are never more than a crackpot minority voice.  Sometimes it's healthy to give these people a little air time, to remind you of why you wanted to pelt them with rotten eggs in the first place.

I do think that mainstream politicians have failed if these people prosper, and it should eb a wake up call for German politicos to sharpen up their act and address the underlying problems thatdrive people to vote for the nutjobs

Democracy is flawed.  You either want it, or you don't.  And if they democratic process has saw a far right party gain a seat (let's not get carried away here, they've acheived no more than the BNP have here), you can't go around trying to change how votes are counted so these people are silenced. 

I agree with Kit' and Parky on this.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Democracy is flawed.  You either want it, or you don't.  And if they democratic process has saw a far right party gain a seat (let's not get carried away here, they've acheived no more than the BNP have here), you can't go around trying to change how votes are counted so these people are silenced. 

I agree with Kit' and Parky on this.

the BNP have only ever got council seats

this is a state election no?