Saints Row IV

Willow

The story picks up where The Third left off, more or less, with a quick escalation and a five-year flash forward to the point where the boss of the Saints (that's you) is now the President of the United States. Oh, and then there's an alien invasion courtesy of the Zin, your main enemy for the bulk of the game. The alien leader, Zinyak, tosses you and your crew in a Matrix-like computer simulation of Steelport, the same city from the previous game. Since real-world rules don't apply in this oppressive simulation, things quickly spiral out until you can run faster than cars, jump higher than buildings, and shoot freeze blasts out of your fists. This, as you might expect, changes everything.

I mean this, to me, just sounds utter shit like.

£25 in Tesco with code TD-R4NQ. Sold. :yao:

Had a voucher in my account for £2.50 (no idea why) and they've just emailed me to say they're refunding me £5 because it's going to be a day late. I'm not even that bothered about the game, but £17.50 for a preorder's ridiculous. :lol:

So, just like everyone expected, this is pretty much Crackdown. That obviously isn't a bad thing, Crackdown was great fun. Jumping around and collecting the "data clusters" (the Saints Row version of the orbs from Crackdown) is still almost as addictive as it was back in Crackdown. They've also borrowed the gliding mechanic from Prototype, which was great in that game and is still canny here. It does maintain the Saints Row feel when it comes to writing, for better or worse. The story doesn't really make much sense, but who cares?

It is absolutely not a 9/10 game, I'm shocked at those reviews tbh. There's not much of a challenge here, the game looks and sounds a bit dated, the controls aren't as sharp as they could be, the city doesn't really feel like it's been designed for having these super powers. Guns don't really feel like they pack any real power and driving is made redundant after half an hour.

After maybe four or five hours, I'd say this is a solid 7/10, if you're a big fan of the other Saints Row games, especially if you find the humour and writing good, then it's probably an 8, but I've never been a fan of the writing. It'll be a good warm up for the real open world game this year.

Yeah, I'm still surprised at those scores. Granted, I've only seen bit and pieces of the game but it doesn't scream mega-scores to me. Then again, they're just gaming site scores which are usually worthless. Different strokes for different folks!

CD2 was the biggest let down in recent memory. The first was so much fun, and the 2nd had a lot of it there but it just didnt work second time round.

A SR version doesn't appeal to me at all. It's a cheap gta.

Wait. What? You have super powers in SR nowadays?

Crackdown was amazing.

My world has just changed. Off to do some reading.

For the majority of the game you are trapped in a computer simulation, where you quickly gain the powers of running faster than cars and leaping tall buildings. Just like in Crackdown, you upgrade these powers by collecting things in the simulation.