Shearer awarded honorary degree

LoveItIfWeBeatU

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/6207010.stm

Football legend receives degree

Football legend Alan Shearer has been awarded an honorary degree by Northumbria University.

The former Newcastle United and England star received the Doctorate of Civil Law at a ceremony at Newcastle's City Hall on Monday.

The 36-year-old first hit the headlines in April 1988 when he scored a hat-trick against Arsenal in his full debut for Southampton.

He said receiving the degree was a "wonderful accolade."

His career went from strength to strength with a record breaking transfer to Blackburn Rovers and he was instrumental in Rovers clinching the Premier League title in 1995.

'Lucky youngster'

Shearer's skills were also sought after by clubs all over the world, but his final move was another record breaking £15m transfer to Newcastle United - the club he had supported when he was growing up in Gosforth.

During his career, he was also the top Premier League scorer in three successive seasons and the only player in history to score more than 100 goals for two different clubs.

Vice chancellor at the university, Professor Kel Fidler, said: "Throughout his career Alan Shearer has been hard-working, committed, disciplined and focused in his endeavours, fighting back from career-threatening injuries with great determination and courage."

Shearer said: "This is a wonderful accolade and collecting the honorary degree was a proud moment for me and for my family.

"I was lucky as a youngster to get a lot of great support and I understand how important it can be if you want to develop and excel in a sporting career."

Comedy writers Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais creators of The Likely Lads, Porridge and Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, also received honorary degrees at the same ceremony.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doctorate of Civil Law? They should have given him an honorary degree in something more relevant like Physics. At least you could say Shearer practiced Physics in his job - Apply force to the football at point X, the ball accelerates, etc.

Guest Village Idiot

Dammit he just gave me an idea, since I'm more likely to get 30 goals a season in the premiership than getting my doctorate done in the regular way  blueupset.gif

Guest Ridzuan

Its unbelievable that he has managed to achieve such award considering he has a poor record when he was still schooling.But Im not against him,instead Im happy for him.This proves that even though you dont perform well in school,it doesnt mean you cant achieve great things in the future.Well done Alan.  :thup:

Guest nufc_geordie
Doctorate of Civil Law? They should have given him an honorary degree in something more relevant like Physics. At least you could say Shearer practiced Physics in his job - Apply force to the football at point X, the ball accelerates, etc.

I am currently studying for my Doctrate in Physics. Nothing against Shearer, but I disagree with the total concept of honourary degrees. People like myself and many others graft their arses off schooling for years and years whilst these guys become world superstars, then when they finish they get a degree or doctrate for doing bot all. Poor.

Does no-one read my posts or something, its not like he is just going to walk into a job where he can apply his degree is it?

ALL MANAGERS NEED A HNOURARY DEGREE TO BECOME A PREMIERSHIP MANAGER AND FINISH OFF THERE FA/UEFA COURSE!!!

Sounds like bollocks to me, so your saying you need a degree before you can take the UEFA/FA course?

I am currently studying for my Doctrate in Physics. Nothing against Shearer, but I disagree with the total concept of honourary degrees. People like myself and many others graft their arses off schooling for years and years whilst these guys become world superstars, then when they finish they get a degree or doctrate for doing bot all. Poor.

totally agree. Didn't McLaren get something similar from the Smoggie Uni as well?

Does no-one read my posts or something, its not like he is just going to walk into a job where he can apply his degree is it?

ALL MANAGERS NEED A HNOURARY DEGREE TO BECOME A PREMIERSHIP MANAGER AND FINISH OFF THERE FA/UEFA COURSE!!!

Sounds like bollocks to me, so your saying you need a degree before you can take the UEFA/FA course?

To complete the course you need a degree of some sort.

I was joking about the Physics degree. As others have said it is an Honorary degree. It's not like he could go and get a job with it (not that he needs to). Honorary is a nice way of saying 'pretend'. Honorary degrees are just something Universities dish out to famous people to get some free publicity for themselves.

Christ. I hope you're joking. I've never heard such a load of bollocks in all my days.

Christ. I hope you're joking. I've never heard such a load of bollocks in all my days.

Bollocks.

I'm pretty sure Southgate hasn't got one.