Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

4 hours ago, St. Maximin said:

He is a good defender though. Just crap on the ball. 

good
[ɡʊd]

ADJECTIVE
  1. having the required qualities; of a high standard.

Nope

Edited by Shearergol

7 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Nope

Perhaps I'm missing something but he's generally very reliable. Solid positionally, tackles well, makes great blocks and has reasonable speed. Certainly not the most talented player, but the level he plays at he does well defensively. As well as that he doesn't seem to make shocking mistakes that lead to goals like some of our other defenders.

7 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

Perhaps I'm missing something but he's generally very reliable. Solid positionally, tackles well, makes great blocks and has reasonable speed. Certainly not the most talented player, but the level he plays at he does well defensively. As well as that he doesn't seem to make shocking mistakes that lead to goals like some of our other defenders.

His is a good defender and I agree with everything you've said. Every manager he's played for has been a fan of him. I like a good footballer as much as anyone but Dummett doesn't deserve half the stick he gets on here. When we're hanging on at the end of games and they're chucking everything at us, I'm always glad he's in there.

Edited by Candi_Hills

General question for all.....

When did you realise that Dummett isn't a young player anymore? 

Didn't realise he's now 29 and on the way down....thought he was still early 20's and had room to improve!

Anything aimed over his head where he has to turn and run backwards, he gets shown up. He's easy to get past in one-on-one situations. Games like that Southampton game where literally all he has to do is block things and stick his head on things is all he's good for. Those situations occur very rarely though unless we want to regress back to the times where we had to go 5-4-1 and not get out of our own half because we didn't have the attacking resources to do anything else. Now we have those players in the final third, it's not needed. He's shit.

I know Rafa liked him but he was actually out of the team when we had our best spell when Longstaff looked a world beater, Almiron first joined and we were playing Lejeune-Lascelles-Schar. It took that bad Lejeune injury for him to get back in.

• 1 month later...

Find the stick he gets bizarre. He's often one of our better players when playing centre back and barely makes a mistake. He's a better defender than Schar for example but because Dummett is trash on the ball he gets loads of shit.

He's loyal, he works hard, has a good attitude and rarely makes daft mistakes when defending. He's not my image of the future of Newcastle either but on a list of players I have a problem with he is way down the list.

53 minutes ago, STM said:

Find the stick he gets bizarre. He's often one of our better players when playing centre back and barely makes a mistake. He's a better defender than Schar for example but because Dummett is trash on the ball he gets loads of shit.

He's loyal, he works hard, has a good attitude and rarely makes daft mistakes when defending. He's not my image of the future of Newcastle either but on a list of players I have a problem with he is way down the list.

I agree, he's far from being the biggest problem in the squad. He's limited because he's an out-and-out left-back with none of the attributes needed to play the more modern wingback role but you know what you're getting from him.

As a Premier League footballer he is. I can’t see any other club ever being interested in him unless it’s a newly promoted club or Burnley. 

If he played for Southampton or Palace, no Newcastle fan would look at him and think, ‘tell you who we should sign this summer, that Paul Dummett fella’.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

I think saying hes shite is slightly unfair.

Hes one of those players who never puts a run together of great performances and stands out but also doesnt stink the place out.

Hes just consistently average.

If you can’t play football, you’re less than an average PL player. That Southampton game where we had 10 men holding onto a lead was his bread & butter. He got thrown into the side and literally all he had to do was stick his head on things and clear it. Nothing else. In the 1-2 instances a season that scenario arises then great, hoy him on but you can’t play like that at this level and get away with it. He offers bugger all else.